What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Retexturing the sky

calvino

Retexturing the sky - i ll give you tons of $! haha

Hi, everyone

i recently discovered all this stuff about high resolution textures, and it just makes me mad not having found it earlier!

i began to hack textures on mario kart 64 and everything works fine, except for the fact that i never found any texture for the SKY, in the different maps of the game.

Is it because the sky isn't rendered by a texture, but a plain color/gradient or something like that?

It would be awesome if someone knew how to retexture the sky, as i'm more interested in full redesign of the maps rather than just enhancing original textures

Thanks a lot

[EDIT] see: this

Last edited:

ctatumt

Yeah I don't think the sky is a texture. Like you said it's just a pre-rendered gradient but I do beleive you can retexture the clouds

OP
C

calvino

that's too bad, i think that finding a way to change the sky could bring a whole new dimension to the game. i guess the best shot i can try is to hex edit the game and find the value for the sky, alter it, and save the new rom? pain in the ass!

i also wondered if there were some tricks to have two different pictures for the same texture. Say, for example, you have a wall texture used in room A and room B and you want different walls depending on the room ; i guess it's impossible, isn't it?

by the way, why doesn't nintendo release the fucking source code for that game, it s been ages the game is overdated and nothing comes ; do you know about nintendo's policy towards those things? will the source code ever be released? i mean, people decided to redevelop the whole game to achieve this goal ( http://www.mariokartsource.com/ ) that's just ridiculous

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
by the way, why doesn't nintendo release the fucking source code for that game, it s been ages the game is overdated and nothing comes ; do you know about nintendo's policy towards those things? will the source code ever be released? i mean, people decided to redevelop the whole game to achieve this goal ( http://www.mariokartsource.com/ ) that's just ridiculous
Nintendo is not going to release the source because Nintendo still makes money off of older N64 titles via the virtual console. They are one of the most closed companies ever. EVER.

OP
C

calvino

ok what about this, i will give 100$ to the one who will give me the trick to change the color of the sky :cheers: