What's new

Running off of CDs?

Eperiod

Hello. I have a n00bish question. This is the first time I've tried emulating ISOs, so I dunno what I'm doing. I know to run DC games you need to creat a virtual drive and run the image off of that, but is there anyway to burn the ISO on a regular CD (CD-R, CD-RW,) put it in the drive and play it? My school's computers don't allow installing, so I can't use the virtual drive. (plus smash bros is getting really old)

Thanks. ^_^

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yes. Simply burning the disc image (as in, the actual contents of the disc image and not the image file itself) onto a CD-R and then instructing Chankast to use its CD-ROM plugin to read from the right drive.

The main problem will likely be that Chankast is hopelessly outdated and has been superseded by a couple of emulators already (nullDC, Demul), so Chankast is not the recommended choice, and using it will probably leave you tearing your hair out. However, I don't know/remember whether nullDC and Demul support "regular" disc booting instead of direct disc image booting.

OP
E

Eperiod

Eh, just relized that it was zipped. If I unzip, it's 800MB, which my CD can't hold. It doesn't seem to be reading through a zip folder.

Ah well, thanks anyway. ^_^

OP
E

Eperiod

All CD-Rs are 700MB. I've checked 4 store sites and that's all I'm finding. Anything higher would be a DVD-R, which I can't burn on.
Guess I'll try to find a game that's under 700MB.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
No, I can guarantee you that there are 800MB CD-Rs, and even 900MB CD-Rs, along with the "very common" 700MB ones.

Note that even if a disc iamge seemingly surpasses 700MB size, it cn still be burned to a 700MB CD-R without any problems. Obviously this is not the case if the disc image is very close to the 800MB mark.