September 27th, 2009, 08:17
My cdi image is recognized as a music file?
Heya, I'm still new to the Chankast emulator and from what I can tell it seems fairly simple. I want to find out a way to make my cdi image of marvel vs. capcom 2 on chankast work. Unfortunately when I mounted mvc2 in daemon the cd was recognized as a music cd in and it asked me what windows should do with it and gave me options to play it using itunes/vlc etc.
When I ran chankast and properly selected the same drive as the daemon mvc2 image was in the emulator said to insert a cd when i ran the emulator. However strangely the music part of the dreamcast had a music cd inside of it. I've dl'ed 2 different versions of mvc2 to make sure it wasn't a problem with the game but I get the same problem with both versions I've downloaded.
Can anyone help me out here please?
September 27th, 2009, 12:21
16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Search the board. You aren't the only one with "music CD" problems in Chankast.
November 13th, 2011, 07:09
The .cdi file must be SELF BOOTING! Make sure the .cdi file you have is self booting. Create the .cdi image again with whatever software you are using but make sure you TURN ON "SELF BOOTING" within the .cdi authoring software. A self booting .cdi file never shows up as a music CD within Chankast "sometimes" it does within Windows but you just disregard this and go to Chankast and start chankast.
March 26th, 2012, 16:34
I have the same problem with Resident Evil 3. how can I make my .cdi file self booting? can you introduce me a good application for that?
Originally Posted by user_seven
March 30th, 2012, 15:54
I tried dir2boot to make my image self booting. but the only thing this application did to it was just making the image size bigger and nothing changed. it's still known as a music file!
can anybody help me?
April 2nd, 2012, 13:24
3 Days have passed and I'm still waiting for an answer...
April 2nd, 2012, 14:51
16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Chankast's GD-ROM plugins are notoriously finicky about certain disc images and CD-Rs. It's really not worth the time and effort to try and make a non-selfboot idsc image into a selfboot image, especially when Chankast itself is often so poor when it cimes to actual emultion.
That said, Chankast sees some selfboot disc images as a Music CD as well. Why some people still bother toying with Chankast at all baffles me.
October 31st, 2012, 19:25
Instructions on how to make chankast work
Originally Posted by mahdi1995
**EASIER IF YOU PRINT THIS**
1.Place the chankastAlpha025 folder on/in your C:\ drive
2.Install the Daemon 4120 lite CD mount utility: this utility will emulate putting a CD in a Dreamcast console (except in this case you are loading/mounting a .cdi dreamcast game file. ONCE YOU INSTALL DAEMON TOOLS YOU WILL NOTICE AN ICON ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF YOURE WINDOWS DESKTOP (TASKBAR) WITH A "LIGHTNING BOLT".(if you dont see it, click on the little arrow pointing up on the taskbar) now you should see the little icon with a lightning bolt.
**Note: When you install Daemon Tools 4120 lite you will get a "compatability issues screen" just click on "RUN PROGRAM" and install it, it runs just fine without a problem in Windows 7 x64bit.****
3. DOWNLOAD ANY DREAMCAST GAME FROM THE INTERNET (NOTE: IT MUST BE A SINGLE FILE WITH THE EXTENSION .CDI AFTER THE GAME NAME.
***VERY IMPORTANT**(THE .CDI GAME FILE YOU DOWNLOAD "MUST" BE "SELF BOOTING")
If you download a .CDI game file that is "NOT SELF BOOTING" the game WILL NOT load or you will get the famous MUSIC CD problem within Chankast.
4. Unzip the Game (if it is zipped or rar'ed) meaning, if the file ends with .rar or .zip you will need to download Winrar from www.rarlabs.com if you dont already have it installed. Make sure you download and install winrar before proceeding to the next step.
5. Extract/Unzip the .cdi game file to your C:\ drive
6. Go to your desktop and click on the Daemon Tools Icon (the one with the lighting bolt) in your Windows taskbar (its at the bottom right of your desktop screen).
7. "RIGHT" click on the icon with the lightning bolt, you will now see a menu pop up and in this menu you will see
"VIRTUAL CD/DVD ROM" NOW put youre mouse cursor/arrow on "VIRTUAL CD/DVD ROM" and you will see another menu pop up . Place youre mouse cursor/arrow on "DEVICE 0" you will see another menu come up and that says "MOUNT IMAGE" "LEFT CLICK ON "MOUNT IMAGE" and now you will get a windows screen click on the little arrow pointing down where it says "LOOK IN" and look for youre C:\ drive and click on it. Find the game name (game you downloaded)(*game name with .cdi after it*) and click on it and click "OPEN".
**You have now simulated putting a game CD in a dreamcast console**Just to give you some background as to what you are doing.******
8. Now go to youre C:\ drive where the ChankastAlpha025 folder is located and open it and double click on "CHANKAST_ALPHA_25"
9. In Chankast click on "OPTIONS" and click on "CONFIGURE DRIVE" highlight the mount drive letter that Daemon Tools set (if youre not sure what i mean by this, go back to your windows taskbar and click on the icon with the lightning bolt then highlight "Virtual CD-DVD ROM" here you will see the correct drive letter next to "DEVICE 0", this is the drive letter you want to highlight in Chankast) Click on "Ok" in Chankast after you have highlighted the correct drive letter.
10. Click on "Options" again in Chankast and click on "CAPCOM HACK" so it has a check mark next to it after you click on it. Game will run slow if not checked.
11. NOW CLICK ON "RUN" and then click on "START". The game will load
***Now that the hard part is over remember you will have to configure the dreamcast controller or computer keyboard. You do this by clicking on "PLUGINS" in CHANKAST then click on "CONFIGURE". SET THE INPUT PLUGIN to "INPUT INTERFACE BY ELSEMI" then click OK! NOW YOURE DONE.... NOW YOU WILL HAVE FUNCTIONALITY FROM EITHER YOURE DREAMCAST CONTROLLER OR YOURE COMPUTER KEYBOARD.
ENTER key on youre keyboard = START
A keyboard key = OK
You will obviously need a Dreamcast controller (if you dont already have one). You can buy Dreamcast to USB adapters
for you computer (so you can use youre Dreamcast controller on your Windows computer) from
In either site look for an adapter called: Trio Linker Plus II made by EMS
You can also find Dreamcast Controllers (new and used) from www.ebay.com
If you have video/sound lag in the game, uninstall video/sound software and install only the basic minimum drivers for your video/sound card
***One other thing, it is important that you DO NOT use any other version of Daemon Tools, older and newer versions will not allow you to play dreamcast games in Windows 7 . Make sure you keep a copy of Daemon tools 4120 lite as its the only version that works.