What's new

Please insert disc issue... so far 2 games tested.

Sidrack Marinho

Please insert disc issue... (solved)

I am using Chankast 0.25, and testing Virtua Tennis 1/2. So far, only those two games were tested.

What I did was simple: I picked both folders from these games and converted them into ISO files, using this program:

folder2iso.jpg

Then, I mounted the virtual drive using Virtual CloneDrive:

rosca1.png

rosca2.png

And assigned the new drive letter to Chankast.

I tried to run both games, but I keep seeing "Please insert game disc". Not only that, Chankast seems to keep asking for the date everytime I try to run one of them. WTF? :(

I really can't get these to work. There are no problems with these games according to the compatibility list. :unsure:

Have anyone managed to make these games working? If at least one of you who are reading this thread were able to do that, just post here, even if you can't help me on this matter.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
As for the "asks to set date/time over and over again" problem: Your flash file is corrupt, replace it.

The other problem may arise due to the image being non-selfboot, in which case you need to a bootdisc. If the discs are selfboot, then it's Chankast's poor and dodgy disc detection routines at work again. Using an old version of Daemon Tools (something akin to 3.29) might help, but an easier solution would be to simply use another emulator, seeing how all the other DC emulator are more or less lightyears (with some exaggeration) ahead of Chankast.

Besides, you shouldn't have to convert anything. Furthermore, ISO and BIN images cannot even support selfboot images, if I'm not mistaken, due to the fact that these image require more than one data track on the disc and these two formats do not support such. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

Xtreme2damax

Dude get with the times.. NullDC, Makeron and Demul is where it's at now.

I'd hate to say it, but in my opinion Chankast is technically a dead project. Chankast has lacked any news or new updates for several years now, other Dreamcast emulators have significantly pulled ahead of Chankast and are much better.

As to why the authors haven't announced the demise of Chankast is beyond me, even the website still remains online which has lacked any news for quite a few years now. ;)

OP
S

Sidrack Marinho

I didn't know about the others... the reason I was using Chankast (even by knowing it was abandoned in 2004, while nullDC and others were improved recently) was because I had the impression some games will only run on Chankast... or others will perform better (not sure if I read this somewhere, or if I am crazy). If there's really no need (at all) for Chankast, then I might drop it.

I tried to run the CDI file from the game rom using nullDC and I failed. It seems some files are missing on the [data] directory from the emulator (system folder). I don't understand, how many files are exactly necessary to run this emulator?

I believe Chankast was using dc_bios.bin and dc_flash.bin. nullDC is asking for dc_boot.bin (?) and some other files that I don't think are related to the BIOS, but the emulator itself (like Windows asks you for missing system DLLs).

And what's the difference between normal and HLE boot (not that matters now, both games are not working).

I'll ask again, have any of you been able to run VIRTUA TENNIS (1 or 2) from Dreamcast? What were your steps to run these games?

Those are the only games I can test at this time...

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Dc_boot.bin is simply a renamed Dc_bios.bin and it's the Dreamcast BIOS. Dc_flash.bin is also needed and you have to configure nullDC to use the Flash file. Dc_boot.bin and Dc_flash.bin need to be present in the Data directory. Then again, all this is explained in nullDC's Readme file.

HLE Boot simply bypasses the BIOS routines altogether and generally shouldn't be used, as compatibility drops quite a bit.

OP
S

Sidrack Marinho

The issue was solved! It was necessary to use nullDC (I was already using, but in the wrong way). Chankast was not able to help me on this one, since I was trying to run a GDI (not CDI) file.

It was necessary to use these options on nullDC:

- Normal boot (to load the GDI file);

- Plugin (settings): "Image Reader plugin by drk||Raziel & GiGaHeRz|".

- Options -> GDROM -> Patch GDROM Region (should be always enabled, it seems some games will not run if this option is disabled).

And now the Virtua Tennis ROM can be played!

Thank you all. :D

bredd33

The issue was solved! It was necessary to use nullDC (I was already using, but in the wrong way). Chankast was not able to help me on this one, since I was trying to run a GDI (not CDI) file.

It was necessary to use these options on nullDC:

- Normal boot (to load the GDI file);

- Plugin (settings): "Image Reader plugin by drk||Raziel & GiGaHeRz|". You will find additional info here https://writemyessay4me.org/research-paper

- Options -> GDROM -> Patch GDROM Region (should be always enabled, it seems some games will not run if this option is disabled).

And now the Virtua Tennis ROM can be played!

Thank you all. :D

Thank you big time
was looking everywhere for that solution

Last edited: