What's new

Project 64 Help - Getting Started

Gilfareth

I am completely new to roms, emulators, the like. I just recently downloaded Project 64, as well as a ROM of Majora's Mask as a .7z file, then unzipped to mutliple .Z64 files. I put these into a New Folder (simply titled Zelda), though there were mutiple different files. I've tried accessing each one (through PJ64 > File > Open Rom > the ROM itself, but the screen comes up completely black each time. Is there something I am missing, or some step I haven't completed yet? Any help would be appreciated.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
1. You only need one ROM file. The 7-Zip file most likely contains all known dumps of Majora's Mask (including bad ones, hacks, different regions and what have you), so look for the file and ends in [!], (U), or both.
2. Extract the file to Project64's Roms directory. Don't make a separate one for the game. (that is, unless you want to change the default folders manually under Options --> Settings --> Directories.
3. Use Project64's ROM Browser to launch games (PJ64 will automatically list all games found in its Roms folder in the browser). You don't need to use File --> Open ROM at all.
4. If the game still shows just black screen, you need to post your computer specs.

Pyromanik

There's no reason why file->open shouldn't work.
How is the emulator configured?
Did you download it from the Project 64 website, or somewhere else?
Which version are you using, with which plugins? (options->settings)

Also share your computer specs as Agozer said.

I would suggest finding a clean ROM (singluar) from a good source, and use the ROM browser (options->settings->directories->rom directory).
That was the emulator will give you some information about the roms itself.

OP
G

Gilfareth

Alright, first I need to know what specs involved, and where to find them. I downloaded version 1.6 from this website, and the plugins I have are as follows:

Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 (default, in use)
Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2

Jabo's DirectSound 1.6 (default, in use)
No sound
zilmar's Audio Plugin

Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6 (default, in use)
Adaptoid Plugin v1.0
N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 1.80a

Honestly, and I apologise for my ignorance, I am completely lost.

Agozer

Click Start --> Run, type in dxdiag and run it. Check the System and Display tabs in the program that runs.

OP
G

Gilfareth

Alright, simple enough.

System tab...

Time of this report: 4/8/2009, 15:43:03
Machine name: YOUR-2F6FA703B6
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814-1233)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: P4M80P
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 310MB used, 2147MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display tab...

Card name: RADEON 9250
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9250 AGP (0x5960)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5960&SUBSYS_280117EE&REV_01
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6601 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/21/2006 20:46:46, 256512 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
Mini VDD Date: 2/21/2006 20:46:26, 1505792 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1A20-11CF-976D-0B08A0C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x5960
SubSys ID: 0x280117EE
Revision ID: 0x0001
Revision ID: 0x0001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBLineReplicate
{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Agozer

Your specs are decent enough. Just try the suggestions in this thread. You shouldn't need to fiddle with the graphic plugin settings nor emulator settings for that matter.

OP
G

Gilfareth

So far, I have changed all the emulator settings back to default (my dad messed with them).

This did not help at all, but now the mouse icon flashes when on the black screen.

I have checked through the help files my third time, and I believe I may just need to verify the ROM. I found GoodN64 easily enough, and GoodWindows, but the bin.zip with the zlib.dll file it says I need is nowhere to be found, so I'll try running this without it.

Worked easy enough without it, and it shows the ROM as being perfectly fine. Green on PJ64, showed up in the rename file... all that. Still doesn't work.

If not, I believe I could just find a single ROM on a different website, and hope that one works.

Tried the different ROM, replaced this one, verified, showed up green (compatible) in PJ64, and it still has the same issue. Quite honestly, I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
G

Gilfareth

News update:
My dad pointed something out. He changed the screen resolution to fit our monitor (1280 x 768 32bit 75Hz), and got the game to work up to the starting screen, followed by a quick blackout and mouse icon flashing. The point is, I believe it may have something to do with the display settings, but if I change too much, I'm worried I'll screw something up. Is there anything that could work?

Agozer

Switch to Jabo's Direct3D6 graphics plugin and try that You could also try updating your graphics card drivers if you haven't done so (note that ATI/AMD dropped support for older Radeon models with their latest drivers, so AFAIK, for 9250 the Catalyst 6.11 drivers are the ones that should work).

Pyromanik

If you're getting too frustrated, you could of course try another emulator.
But there is no (obvious) reason MM shouldn't work with Project64 1.6

My GFx settings are all off, the sliders are right down and full screen resolution suits that of my desktop.

does the same problem happen if you run the game in windowed mode (not fullscreen)?
If it's a full screen issue, perhaps it's something to do with the refresh rate you've selected not being supported by your monitor?

OP
G

Gilfareth

I have found a solution. A complete unexpected solution, I might add. I switched from my dad's computer account (the admin account) to my own, and started up Project64, and with either windowed or fullscreen, MM runs just fine. At this point, I have everything working, so my original problem is resolved, but now I'm curious. Why would the administrator account not be able to use PJ64, while a User account can? Unless your settings for any involved applications/hardware can be different on each individual account, I cannot seem to find a good answer.

Pyromanik

Maybe being a different user (who presumably hadn't used PJ before) means you probably started with all default settings.
Meaning your initial thoughts were correct... your dad playing with settings is most likely what made it go whacky and not work.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gilfareth

It would make sense. In order to use it (my dad had it installed in his My Documents folder, 'stead of Program Files), I had to install it again into Shared Documents, so that, if not being a different user, would have reset everything. Now I am happily working along with Majora's Mask, though having a bit of trouble with the Deku Temple (room with flames atop two pillars, and a crystal to switch them off), but that's for another place, if I truly cannot figure it out...

Thank you, all of you, for your help and patience. Sad that this problem had such a simple solution, but it's fixed, and that's all I can ask for.

Agozer

Personally, I wouldn't install Projec64 anywhere near Shared Documents, My documents nor Program Files for that matter. I'd install it in a path like C:\Games\Project64 or somesuch and make sure that I do it on my own account (admin) so that I have all the necessary privileges.

OP
G

Gilfareth

Can't be helped. Plus, what's the point of MM (a puzzle/adventure RPG) without having a good puzzle to figure out? It would be rendered incapable of fulfilling its task, that being my entertainment, if I took the challenge away by finding the solution elsewhere. Not to say that I wouldn't, if I could not figure something out in a more than reasonable amount of time. Like this very puzzle...

OP
G

Gilfareth

:p
Glad to see there's still some sense in the youth of today!

Is it -that- easy to see I'm young? Not too big a surprise, I suppose.

In other, completely related (however vaguely) news, I have achieved my goal of finishing Final Fantasies I-X2, along with Tactics, Tactics Advance, A2, and Revenant Wings. Plus learning latin for the sole purpose of being able to sing bits of One Winged Angel at random. I'm such a driven youth, aren't I? :naughty:

Also, I still haven't figured out what the key is for saving/loading a save state. Anyone want to tell me?

Last edited:

Agozer

Also, I still haven't figured out what the key is for saving/loading a save state. Anyone want to tell me?
Reading the User Manual and/or taking a quick look at the PJ64 System menu entries answers that question.