What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Proposal for a Central Website to Host Re-Texturing Projects

charlie_123456

I'm new to this scene and forum, but have been interested in this for years. Specifically, I've been wanting to re-texture Mariokart 64, but I see that there are many many other re-texturing projects as well. It appears that many of you talked about this forum being "dead" aside from this HRTP pages. Doing a google search of "n64 retexture project" takes you to many forum posts, but no central location. I'd like to propose setting up a site that will handle everything necessary to accommodate a collaborative, sectional, project based retexturing system.

I've discussed this briefly with Gecko Lee. His ideas for requirements of a central location are:
- member pages (picture, nickname, age and other optional details, trackback (commented on, created bla), own texture hacks, rating)
- texture hack page (screenshots, downloads, details, counters (downloads, visits...), created by, comments, at least a 50mb upload feature, per cent counter on how complete a texture pack is...

I think this is basic stuff that is absolutely needed. I propose setting up this ideology on a central server. I would recommend using Drupal with modules such as forum, uploading, user profiles, etc. Drupal is a multi-user contribution platform, open source and written in PHP (for those of you who are unfamilliar with it).

I would be more than happy to be the one to setup this central page, but please -- are there any legal ramifications that you all can think of? Perhaps things anyone has run into over the course of doing this sort of thing? We won't be hosting any emulators or roms, we'd simply be hosting texture packs, possibly configured plugins, etc. Please send any info or requests for what YOU would like to see on such a page. Believe me, it's all possible with moderate work. I am a web developer fluent in PHP, MySQL, XHTML, etc., and have the drive to get something like this up and running. Let me know all of your thoughts!

Thanks,

Charlie

OP
C

charlie_123456

Well let's keep pushing it forward this time :)

What would you like to see at such a site? I can get the ball rolling if it appears that there are people willing to sign up for accounts there / post info / etc... I certainly don't want to invest time and energy into a site that would have zero user activity :p

mode7

Generally a good idea, thats what I tried to do with the wiki.
I would really aprechiate such a site with a good CMS and a nice design.
As others pointed out, such a site only works if there is an active community. To create an active community, the site will need content:
Good tutorials how it works and downloads for emulators, plugins and tools.
Information about ALL texture packs (also the ones that are no longer supported by their creators) information about them, screens and downloads.

This is going to be ALOT of work. I would be willing to help, though I'm not sure if this will work out..

Stoobs

Hey, I've been lurking this site for a few days now. I just finished playing through OoT with the 'cel-shade' texture mod, and I am thoroughly impressed.

In another life, I used do texture mods for Halo PC. You might have heard of Xavier's Mod, the 'cel-shade' retexture job for Halo. I helped with a few textures on that, but mainly modified them for my own enjoyment.
I made a video to showcase the Halo mod: [video=google;-4853510401656809993]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4853510401656809993&ei=AGqkSe28CIvKiQKN9bzjAg&q=halo+cel[/video]

I'm very interested in getting into texture mods for N64 games, and I would sign-up for this proposed website in an instant.

gitech

N64 Artist
Great idea! If all those features can be implemented...etc... (sorry, I don't know much about that side of things...)

I would help also by porting all of my work including all the packs, images and tutorials I have done. :)

...If it is nice and you know of a way to promote it and get it to show up at the top of search engine results such as google.

Also, maybe we should discuss the details here about what should and could be done with a custom site like this.

Activity here has certainly diminished!!!!!!!!!!! Posts are .... rare!!!

Let me know,
Jay

OP
C

charlie_123456

Jay -- you'll be a great help, we'll need to have as much good content on startup as we can. That means existing texture packs and tutorials.

I've been working with a couple of individuals so far in creating lists of what we'll need, modules for Drupal to get this up and going asap with modifications to come in down the line.

As soon as I have the server up I'll send a note to everyone on here. We can continue this conversation over there. I'm so glad that we have as much interest as we do!

Charlie

OP
C

charlie_123456

Everyone interested --- head over to www.n64redux.com, it should be up within the next 24 hours.

I'll get the basic core online so that people can register for accounts and strike up conversation asap ;)

cerebus5

Oh sweet this is a great idea. But you'll have to export basically ALL the content from here. If this forum goes and some pieces of retexturing get lost along the way it would be a shame.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I have alot freetime on my hand lateley, so I could port all things over, like I started here. Make me a mod and I will do.

Terranigma

I support it! Good luck with your site! Hopefully, we can get all the old texture packs too and have them hosted there or something.

OP
C

charlie_123456

It is not a wiki. It's basically a multi-tier website with several features that something like this would need. I think the goal of these things is to get them to the end user, as well as to collaborate on them. Therefore, we have a forum setup for any kind of discussion or file posting that needs to be done; we also have user roles called "contributors" (anyone who wants to be elevated beyond a basic user just shoot a message to me!) that can post blog articles (news articles which will reflect on the front page) or "project" pages which can host details about a project as well as files, tutorials, plug-in details, etc.

While i've paid for and setup the site, I don't by any means take credit for this or "own" anything on it. It is and will be an entirely community driven site, with lots of great resources available for anyone interested in using one of these packages.

I've already setup other users as administrators who control nearly all aspects of the site and forums. This is a step away from a wiki in that we have a bit more security control over content, as well as a more "typical" functioning website. I see these as open-source software products for anyone to get their hands on.

Anyone who is interested, please head over to http://www.n64redux.com and make some noise.