What's new

Huh... so what's goin on?

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Whoa... lots of veterans posting... What happened here? I guess no more fun emulations to talk about, or everyone just bought a Wii, eh? (DS lite myself)

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
I've been around here somewhat frequently in the last few months because I finally grabbed Mupen64Plus and a GoodN64 set. As it turns out, the DualShock 2 I've recently hooked up to my PC does very good double duty as a Nintendo 64 control pad.

Also, tomorrow I will have registered here exactly seven years ago. Which is actually somewhat depressing as Mupen64Plus doesn't actually seem that much more accurate or compatible than the emulators I was using back when I registered here. There's a very considerable list of games that have serious issues or don't work at all, the intro in Banjo-Kazooie seems even more out of sync now, and I can't find out if framebuffer effects work faster on my new hardware because I don't see any way of enabling them!

I don't want to be too much of a downer, but this is part of the reason I haven't been as active as I used to. About two years ago, I finally got tired of poor emulation. I found I was sick of fiddling endlessly with various settings and still getting graphical glitches and timing issues. I left N64 emulation, promising to come back when that era was over, and it's still here now!

I think this mentality has grown, and more people are put off by 'fiddly' emulation, especially considering the initial rationale was speed, which is less relevant these days with the vast increases we've seen in processing power. Until we see a 'simple' N64 emulator (along the lines of pSX), I think we're not going to see many people around here.

Cyberman

Scarey enough I registered here before the new setup (IE they dumped the old user data base and reuped everyone). So sadly a lot of old timers when you see there date they have actually been here longer. That's what there registration date is (LOL).

Erstwhile, well if muopen64 is not advanced to your liking, why not help it along with a little bit of work on it? Granted it doesn't happen overnight.

I'm tinkering with PCSX myself because I don't like how the GPU works in PS1 emulators (and PCSX actually works fairly well). I am just going to deal with the tool chain I have until I can make it easier. I probably should get compilation working but... I like to play first without things working.

Cyb

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Ah... the downsides of limited documentation and hardware complexity. It's not like you can do it fast and ugly or slow and pretty. You don't have the means to do it "pretty" at all so you decide to at least make it fast. Yup, that's N64 emulation. :p

Slougi

Scarey enough I registered here before the new setup (IE they dumped the old user data base and reuped everyone). So sadly a lot of old timers when you see there date they have actually been here longer. That's what there registration date is (LOL).

Actually the board software was changed IIRC.

Cyberman

That about sums it we all have gone our disperate ways.. :D

Slougi
That's right something was changed... we were using a Perl based script then moved to a PHP based board.

Save I still diddle with emulation (since I kind of do that stuff for my job anyhow).

Cyb

smcd

Save I still diddle with emulation (since I kind of do that stuff for my job anyhow).

Cyb

Cool job :p

I've got a wii and 0 games (and no tv to connect it to) It's still in the box since last November, just chillin on my couch :p

I also have a DS and GBA and all that fun stuff but actually have some games for those :)

Cyberman

It can be quite stressful. However it is fun.
I've got a wii and 0 games (and no tv to connect it to) It's still in the box since last November, just chillin on my couch :p

I also have a DS and GBA and all that fun stuff but actually have some games for those :)
Well I got a PS3 to sit next to my PS2 and my PS1 is now collecting dust (it really is now). My N64 I think is in storage. LOL.

Times change, less time to play and more earning pay to ... eat I guess. (eating is for weaklings!)

Cyb

BioBomber

World Building Nutjob
There has been some small progress made into more stable emulation, but it's been pretty sporadic. As something of a weirdo these days I spend more time tweaking games than I do playing them all the way through, so the odd crash doesn't bother me. Though it does help to know if the crash is caused by a modification or bad emulation, I guess XD

Davemc

Dave
Apparently I haven't logged in since 2005. I'm still alive though and nice to see everyone else is.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Still can't believe it's 8 years since I registered on this version of the forum. Tack on another 1-2 years for the old forum and that is a hell of a long time. Makes me feel old. And I'm only 25 now!

Allnatural

Still can't believe it's 8 years since I registered on this version of the forum. Tack on another 1-2 years for the old forum and that is a hell of a long time. Makes me feel old. And I'm only 25 now!
I can't remember how much time I had on the old forum. A year, maybe? I know it was only about nine years ago that I *discovered* emulation.