What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Help in retexturing/translating wave racer - shindou edition

Yogi

Currently, i'm trying to translated the menus of the japanese wave racer - shindou edition to english. However, i'm first time doing it. I read the tutorials, it seems pretty straight forward, but i can't seem to get the results.

Initially, i tried replacing the texture from the japanese version with the english version ones. By that i meant taking the texture from the english version & rename according to the japanese file name, it didn't work. Then i tried editing the japanese texture files by just keying english text over the japanese text & save. It also didn't work.

What is wrong with my methods? And what does "Make sure your new texture is exactly 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x, 64x of the original size." mean? So if the texture i'm editing is 168 x 11, i save it as 336 x 22, but that didn't work, too.

Help!

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
The texture dimensions should also be a power of 2. 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096 and so on. So you would want to scale the original up to the closest power of 2 and then go from there. 168x11 -> 256x16 -> 512x32

If that doesn't do the trick, try posting up an original and edited texture for us to help troubleshoot.

OP
Yogi

Yogi

OK, i resized the texture, but still no go.

NOw, i'm trying to upload the file, but there are upload errors - Unable to move/copy file. :(

OP
Yogi

Yogi

OK, i'm using a free sharing site.

The original texture:

5chi4w.png

The edited texture:

id4tpf.png

Help!

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
Well, for starters your edited texture is an indexed greyscale, where the original is 8bit rgb.

OP
Yogi

Yogi

What!?

You mean the plugin is this picky? Is there any more comprehensive guide on how to go about editing textures. The guide in the sticky thread made it sounds so simple! It didn't say anything about color bit and what not.

Btw, i checked the properties of the images thro window explorer. The original is 24 bit depth, while my edited image is 8 bit depth. I'd re-save my edited image in 24 bit depth, but it still wouldn't appear. How do i know it's rgb? I'm using Paint.NET btw.

Thanks for the kind reply.

mode7

Only use textures from the ci_by_png and the png_all folder, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Also I would scale the texture up from 168x11 to 336x22

OP
Yogi

Yogi

Only use textures from the ci_by_png and the png_all folder, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Also I would scale the texture up from 168x11 to 336x22

I tested using a texture from the png_all folder, it worked!! Now the problem is if i were to resize the texture from 80 x 24 to any thing larger, the game will still only show 80 x 24 of it!! :( What's wrong? It means i can only edit at the native resolution of the texture, the plugin can't display hi-res!? I'm using Rice's 6.1.1 beta 10 btw.

Sadly, all the japanese text textures are only found in the "png_by_rgb_a" folder, even then not all text textures are dumped. What's wrong & what i can do?

mode7

you sure they aren't in another folder?
I never had this problem.

to what dimensions did you scale it up? Probably you made an error in saving the texture to a format that does not get recognized.

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
Is it possible that the text is a render to texture like in Castlevania, and some other games? This has caused problems with being able to dump/replace these properly.

OP
Yogi

Yogi

you sure they aren't in another folder?
I never had this problem.

to what dimensions did you scale it up? Probably you made an error in saving the texture to a format that does not get recognized.

Yep, the text textures only showed up in the "png_by_rgb_a" folder using rice's plugin. Btw, i used mudlord's rice plugin to dump the textures again & this time, it seems that i'm getting the textures. The weird thing is, the japanese text this time is white in color on a light grey background opposed to rice's white text on black background!

I resized the texture x2 from 80 x 24 to 160 x 48. It showed up in the game, but i only see 80 x 24 of it; partial of the edited higher res texture.

OP
Yogi

Yogi

Update: The white text is actually on a transparent background. I'm getting things to work now, but i can't increase the texture resolution! If i increase the resolution, either it shows a portion of it, or the whole screen goes missing, or the edited texture wouldn't load.

I tried another game, too, Rally Championship 2000. It also wouldn't load the edited texture if it's resolution is higher than it's native resolution. Did i do anything wrong some where?

Legend

Don't forget you can try Glide64 for this. Maybe that will work better for you.

But I did want to say good luck and I hope you can finish this. I always wanted to have the Wave Race with rumble, but not worth dealing with the Jap. text. But now I won't have to. Thanks for your contribution and I REALLY look forward to a release. :bouncy:

OP
Yogi

Yogi

Don't forget you can try Glide64 for this. Maybe that will work better for you.

But I did want to say good luck and I hope you can finish this. I always wanted to have the Wave Race with rumble, but not worth dealing with the Jap. text. But now I won't have to. Thanks for your contribution and I REALLY look forward to a release. :bouncy:

:p

I also need help from the veterans here.

:happy:

Edit: I'm already having some problems with the original textures. It seems that i can't increase the texture size at all, thus i can't do hi-res textures. And another thing is, certain japanese text requiring longer english translation, so i have to squeeze the english text into the given texture resolution size. End results ain't really good.

Last edited:
OP
Yogi

Yogi

Translate it into what the enlish version of the games says silly :p

It was stupid of me to translate this game? :( You broke my heart :gunman:

Anyways, here's a sample.

o725o9.jpg

I have translated alot of the menus, but i couldn't find a site to share the texture pack yet.

Remote

Of course not :p But afaik/remember there is an enlish version and shindou means rumble edition?

So use the translation in the non rumble enlish version for your translation of the japaneese game.

God speed :p

Legend

Hey,hey look at that! It's really coming along! I can't wait for it to be finished! And this type of pack will definetely live on given its a translation pack. Cheers! :party:

OP
Yogi

Yogi

Hey,hey look at that! It's really coming along! I can't wait for it to be finished! And this type of pack will definetely live on given its a translation pack. Cheers! :party:

You know what? :yawn: I'm getting bored, don't think i'm going to continue doing it... :unsure:

Kidding...:devil: :w00t:

I think i have translated more than 90% of the text textures already, some are literal translation of the japanese text. Certain course names are actually different from the US version. Some text may look blurry or squeezed cos is all due to space constraint & my problems getting hi-res textures to work. (in fact, i'm not getting hi-res textures to work)

Anyways, here's the download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/88264848/98be08d5/Wave_Race_64_SE_v02.html

Playing Wave Race with rumble on my xbox360 controller is never the same again.