What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Zelda OOT Replacement Help

dcs78

I'm trying to replace some of the background screens with hi-res versions. I've managed to combine a lot of excellent shared works and create a few of my own to match and/or compliment. I'm running my game at 16x quality and most of my textures have been resized to work. This background doesn't want to play nice. I've tried everything from 16x down to 1x and changing naming schemes, as most of my files are png files using "_all.png". The original files were "_rgb.png" and "_all.png". I will try bmp format though I doubt that will help.

So, any been able to replace these?

Original
THELEGENDOFZELDA894E112502_all.png

WIP1
THELEGENDOFZELDA894E112502_all-1.png

mode7

Thats funny. I'm currently working on exactly the same background.
I would be interested to learn what programms, technique you are using.

To get it into the game you'll need a special toolset, a modified version of Glide64. I have it somewhere on the HD.

I'll take a look when my exams are over (in a few days)

OP
D

dcs78

Thanks & WIP2

I used Adobe Fireworks for the layering and Photoshop for file compression.

I'll have to try GlideHQ, thanks. I was hoping it would be as easy as the rest have been using the standard hi-res replacement method.

WIP3
THELEGENDOFZELDA894E112502_all2-1.png

I need to find better trees to drop in, replace the remainder of the house front and then figure out the drop shadowing.

Last edited:

Jupiter

Just a Jupi.
Some of the textures aren't bad, but your perspectives are completely wrong. If you're not going to render the scene as one entity in 3D, you should really draw everything layer by layer, starting from the ground up.

Make a flat, complete ground image, with the bridge, bricks, and cobblestones and all fully together as they need to be in the final image, then drop it into the scene with the proper perspective. The building walls should be treated the same way; make one image of the complete side of a building, and drop it ontop of your ground layer with the proper perspective. You can then do the roof images ontop of that, and erase anything visible from the walls that shouldn't be there.

Above all else, keep your perspective in mind. Drop some guidelines around so you know what angles to follow. Nothing in your scene is going toward a matching vanishing point. The building at the upper left has a roof that appears to be sliding through the ground and into an unseen abyss, while the wall that holds it up is indistinguishable from the stone pathway. It looks as though you could very well be walking ontop of the wall, as opposed to it standing vertically as a support structure.

Mollymutt

He's using the original for a starting point. That is the perspective in the original. If you want to criticize Nintendo, then go ahead.

OP
D

dcs78

Perspective

Yeah, I'm not to happy about it either. But since I cannot edit the walkmesh I cannot build it as accurately as I would like. Also, as Mollymutt pointed out I a lining up, as much as I can, with the original picture. In a later version I may try to rebuild as full sections and the readjust the perspective. I am not spending to much more time on this until I figure out how to put it into the game along with all my other hi-res files. The biggest problem is I have a hard time doing what I want in Photoshop so I use Fireworks. The uncompressed file is 270MB and when I open it up Fireworks bloats to over a GB in active memory and crashes when I try to do most anything. I'll have to start over now that I've made a first attempt.

I do appreciate the constructive criticism, though.

mode7

What Jupiter means is, that some lines don't fall the way they should be. Everything looks a bit out of shape. Thie picture has a really complicated perspective so don't be to hard on him.

I'm using google sketchup's photomatch to match the perspective - works quite well. Here's an early preview.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
What Jupiter means is, that some lines don't fall the way they should be. Everything looks a bit out of shape. Thie picture has a really complicated perspective so don't be to hard on him.

I'm using google sketchup's photomatch to match the perspective - works quite well. Here's an early preview.

Looks incredible great! Keep it going!

Thorlord

question

i have a question, its not worthy of its own thread though so ill put it in here.

there have been retextures of Links face and accessories.
but why have i not found a retexture of link?
it seems that most characters in the game have the same clothes as before.
is it harder to retexture clothing? is it just that no one has tried?
the one-color green clothing is starting to look out of place around these high-resolution backgrounds.

mode7

Clothing is not harder to retexture, but clothing is not always textured completely or at all. Which means clothing is just a flat color polygon at most times.

gitech

N64 Artist

Yes, this is very nice and good thinking to use google sketch up! ;)

These are something I have always hoped would be well re-done in beautiful hi-res.

Take care,
Jay

Thorlord

Clothing is not harder to retexture, but clothing is not always textured completely or at all. Which means clothing is just a flat color polygon at most times.

ahh i see, so it would require programming and rom hacking to change clothing rather than just a texture replacement. it definitely explains it.