What's new

Project64 [Audio and Crash Help]

Cefalo1337

Ive recently downloaded Project64 and all was working fine while playing any game but the thing is I cannot click anywhere outside of the game itself. to further explain i cant click onto my desktop and look at something without alt+tabbing out. also i cant click any of the menu buttons on Project64 itself. And finally when I exit the rom and emulator (and im forced to exit by alt+tabbing then right clicking and closing) whatever music is playing at that time it continues to play even when the program is closed. When i try to delete anything pertaining to PJ64 it tells me that I cant because it is being used by another program. So im then forced to restart my computer. Ive tried uninstalling the program fully and reinstalling again but it keeps doing the same thing. Ive read the manual but it said nothing about troubleshooting this problem.

Also while im here, I see much talk about "Native Saves" but i dont really understand what is meant. Im guessing you mean for example in LOZ:OoT you save on the normal save screen and ive tried that but my game is lost. do i have to use another plugin in order for this to work? and if so which plugin might that be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am looking forward to being able to play N64 roms again. Ive tried other emulators but they dont compare to PJ64. Please help. Thankyou

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Also while im here, I see much talk about "Native Saves" but i dont really understand what is meant. Im guessing you mean for example in LOZ:OoT you save on the normal save screen and ive tried that but my game is lost. do i have to use another plugin in order for this to work? and if so which plugin might that be.
Yes, you do a "native save" a when you save a game in-game as you would while playing on the actual console. "Battery save" is also a valid term.

If you can't get the native saving to work (and no save file appears in Project64's save folder), then that is an indication that Windows is keeping the folder as read-only. However, you should also note that when you save in OoT, you'll always start back in Kokiri Forest as a child (or in the beginning of a dungeon or before a boss room if you got that far)

As for your main problem, there really isn't a simple solution because it's hard to tell why you have such issues. You should atlest post your system specs and make sure that you've update your graphics card's drivers. When you get the music playing in the background despite the fact that you've closed Project64 would indicate that the Project64 process wasn't terminated properly. Open up Task Manager and see if the process is still running - if it is, kill it.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cefalo1337

Thankyou Agozer for such a quick reply. Im running on a Windows XP, 2.4ghz processor with 3g ram. (its a laptop) im using an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB mem card. I dont think my specs are too low to run this emulator because I was running at max fps with it and everything seemed fine. I really dont know what i did to cause this problem because everything was working great. Im at a loss becuase I dont understand why it wont let me go into the menu functions that PJ64 has. I can solve the music background problem by ending it in task manager I guess but the Menu im still lost with. Im going to try redownloading and see what happens again. Once again though thankyou for a quick reply.

OP
C

Cefalo1337

I just figured out what causes the problem for the menu and background music after game closes. It seems like N-Rages plugin doesnt want to work with my computer for some reason. I just reinstalled and everything was fine and when i went to use N-Rages input plugin the menu and everything wouldnt work. I guess im going to use the default one.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Are you using N-Rage V2 1.83, 2.00 Beta or some older version? If you are using an older version, I suggest you update and see if the emulator continues to crash and burn.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cefalo1337

I figured out what was wrong. I was pretty dumb and switched plugins while the rom was loaded. And when I switched configs like that it caused the emulator to basically bug out. Everything is fixed and working perfectly again. Im a little bummed that I have to do the first 3 temples again in LOZ:OoT but thats ok atleast its working right. Once again thankyou for your help. Much appreciated