What's new

Mupen64Plus: unacceptable sound and speed issues

GCFreak

Hi,

I've just finished upgrading this thing, and I SHOULD be able to turn all the settings up on Mupen64Plus and have no speed issues at all. But I have all the settings turned down, and I'm having speed issues in all my games and the sound is always crackly, and the video can't keep up with the sound (sound running full speed all the time, video not). I'm using all the base plugins, and the included glN64.

I appreciate any help you can bring me on this matter, specifications are in my signature.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry if I come off as unappreciative, but when a highly experimental Dolphin is playing sound and video at expected speeds, more than I can say for a highly polished Mupen64Plus, something definitely is wrong.

Last edited:

Richard42

Emulator Developer
GCFreak,

Nobody else has reported this kind of problem, so it's probably something with your setup and it should be fixable. Are you running this on the Athlon or the P4 Xeon? I have an Athlon x2 3800+ and it runs fine. With which games have you experienced this problem? Which audio plugin are you using? Can you verify that your 3d hardware acceleration is activated? ("glxinfo | grep direct")

OP
G

GCFreak

I'm running it off the AMD computer, glxinfo | grep direct returns yes, I'm using glN64, JttL's SDL Audio, blight's SDL input plugin and the Hacktarux/Azimer HLE RSP plugin.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I'm running it off the AMD computer, glxinfo | grep direct returns yes, I'm using glN64, JttL's SDL Audio, blight's SDL input plugin and the Hacktarux/Azimer HLE RSP plugin.

That looks pretty normal. Which games are giving you trouble? The first thing to try is to rename or delete your ~/.mupen64plus folder and start the emulator to copy over the default config files. There might be some problem with the older config files.

OP
G

GCFreak

I found out that using the resampling in the sound plugins steals quite a bit of CPU, so I disabled that and the speed issues are no more, but I'm still getting the sound issues, with the crackling and cutting out and whatnot...

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I found out that using the resampling in the sound plugins steals quite a bit of CPU, so I disabled that and the speed issues are no more, but I'm still getting the sound issues, with the crackling and cutting out and whatnot...

With which game(s) are you experiencing this problem? Have you tried running in --nogui mode?

Pyromanik

I think something else to note is that glN64 is not a one stop solution. Do you experience issues using other video plugins?
What happens if you select the dummy audio plugin? (other than having no sound...) Does the speed increase?