What's new

[Help Please] -Zelda Ocarina of time

Stonerz40

well i just download a emulator and downloaded Zelda Ocarina of time but after i beat something and save it and go to play again later it doesnt have my saved game that i just saved.. could some help me out on this one?:unsure: :unsure:

*Edit* im using Project64

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If your save isn't isn't selectable when you start the game, make sure that the folder Project64 saves to isn't read-only (defaults to the folder 'Save' by default, IIRC).

Note that when you save the game as young Link, you will always start back at Kokiri Forest. If you save in a dungeon, you will start from either at the beginning of the dungeon or just before a boss room.

Squall83

You can also try quick save (F5) and quick load (F7) so you won't lose another save state if this happens again. You can switch quick save slots with the numbers 0 to 9.

OP
S

Stonerz40

You can also try quick save (F5) and quick load (F7) so you won't lose another save state if this happens again. You can switch quick save slots with the numbers 0 to 9.

i tried that a few times, but it still didnt work :down: :down:

Agozer

i tried that a few times, but it still didnt work :down: :down:
Which gives all the more reason to believe that the folder Project64 tries to save to is read-only or you don't have the necessary privileges.

OP
S

Stonerz40

well i just went to the folder it tries to save to and right click>properties and its a box that says read only, so im assuming thats what you mean by that? i unchecked it and hit apply and it didnt keep it unchecked. any ideas?

Squall83

You didn't burn everything on a CD and tried to play it from there, did you? ;)

I find it kind of weird that there are read-only directories. In that case you shouldn't have been able to install P64 in the first place and if you didn't change any configs then all directories you need are subdirectories of P64 (well, except the folder with the games of course but that folder can be read-only without disturbing anything).

OP
S

Stonerz40

nope i didnt burn anything to a cd i found a link on youtube that had a link for the files and just got it from there,and yea i didnt change any of the settings while installing it,

Agozer

Windows XP keeps many files and folders read-only (or at least so it would seem by looking at the file properties) and only opens them during write requests. While mosts users don't have too many problems with this, there are some who are constantly plagued by the fact that Windows XP keeps the folders and files read-only all the time.

The only way to fix this is to use a command through Windows Command line that forcibly disables the read-only attribute in files and folders. I can't remember for the life of me what that command is, though.

I'm no expert on this, so others may freely correct me.

Squall83

What happens if you try to quicksave? There should be some kind of message in the status bar below your playing window.

OP
S

Stonerz40

no dont even get a msg, just when i try to save the game just flashes and i restarted the emulator and it didnt save lol... ill try to google the command to disable it

OP
S

Stonerz40

i just downloaded zelda majoras mask and got a good bit through it and saved it and tried to load it again but it didnt really save.... this is weird i have no idea why its doing that... maybe its the emulator?

X-Fi6

You're confusing game saves with save states.

First of all. READ THE MANUAL. RTFM

Second, game saves are the normal saves that games save when you are actually in the game and, through the game, you choose to save the game.

Save states are special. They are emulator specific (not used by the regular console). They allow you to, through the emulator, save the state of the game at that point. This is the equivalent of pressing F5, or Save. To load from an existing save state, press F7. To switch between different save state slots, press any of the keys 1 through (or maybe 0-9; I'm not positive and I am too lazy to check).

Save states are an artificial and much less reliable form of saving than regular game saving that the games were intended for you to use. Save states are instead used for you being able to warp to different parts of the game that you've saved at and to be able to rewind and try something again, without the game knowing that you did it.

In a way, save states are cheating if you're trying to play N64 games for real. But if you've played these N64 games before, and possibly beaten them, or just plain don't care, then save states can serve really useful. Especially in games where the developers think its fun for you to have to start over for things you "fail" at. -_- Just press F5 after you accomplish something huge that you don't want to lose, and also press F5 before a big event that you think you might lose against. Press F7 to go back to that save state.

And ALWAYS remember to save your games NORMALLY as well. You can never trust save states to hold all of your work. For example... let's say, when you start up the game, normally you press F7 to go back to the part of the game of where you were before. But let's say, when you start up the game, you accidentally press F5. Whoops, there goes all of your progress of the ENTIRE GAME.

Also, save states often crash the emulator when you use them in succession too quickly. And they get corrupted easily.

Many of these crashing/corruption bugs have been improved with PJ64 1.7, however.

Last edited: