What's new

Pokemon Puzzle League

rabidium

(Before you mock this for being a Pokemon Game, please understand it's a monstrously addicting puzzle game originally called Panel-de-Pon and also released as Tetris Attack. The Pokemon license was just tacked on, but this N64 version is the most difficult and compelling).

Hi, I've been looking for some complete and up-to-date info on playing Pokemon Puzzle League via emulation. I'm not a newb entirely, but I haven't used n64 emu's in quite some time. Recently my friend dl'd Puzzle League for his Wii, and not having a Wii, I'm trying to get a bit of practice in on my computer.

I've had some success running it on both 1964 and PJ64, but the former has sound issues and the latter has graphical issues. (I've been playing it soundless, but there are some useful audio cues and I miss Wheezing and the guy who says "Lick my toes!")

Can someone list/link a complete functional setup for newb's or those like me who just want this one game?

One other thing, I use Zsnes to play a lot of snes games, and there's a function where I can map a button (i.e. L2) to increase speed by 16x while the button is held. This helps zap away any annoying graphics/cutscenes, which are heavy in this game. (Yay, another fucking badge!) I haven't found a function like that in any of these emu's. (Also, there's another button to Slow by 1/2 speed (i.e. R2), but you'll probably call me a cheater if I ask for that.) Thoughts?

Thanks so much, and give this game a chance if you haven't tried it, it's a hoot.
-Olaf
"Lick my toes!"

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What kind of graphical issues? Although IIRC, PPL is one of those games that can't be fixed. Then again, my memory doesn't serve me too well atm - you can try to run it with the Glide64 graphics plugin if your video card is up to scratch.

The only way to currently make PJ64 faster is by disabling the FPS Limit by pressing F4. Of course, the emulator runs as fast as it can possibly go, giving you no control over how fast it goes.

OP
R

rabidium

What kind of graphical issues? Although IIRC, PPL is one of those games that can't be fixed. Then again, my memory doesn't serve me too well atm - you can try to run it with the Glide64 graphics plugin if your video card is up to scratch.

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to try the Glide plugin, and it's possible that my video card in my laptop is simply not up to snuff. The Video issue in PJ64 is that all the blocks, while in the right place, seem to be about half as wide as is correct, with a gap between them. Other unimportant stuff is odd too, like each pokemon's logo has the bottom half of it's pixels dragged down to fill the box so they all appear to be drooling. (Which I admit is pretty funny) The cutscenes don't work well or at all. With 1964 the sound effects stutter like mad, though the game has an option for no SFX which negates that.

Other video plugins may work, I'm still experimenting with settings and learning. I guess I was hoping there was just a simple recipe for success out there.

The only way to currently make PJ64 faster is by disabling the FPS Limit by pressing F4. Of course, the emulator runs as fast as it can possibly go, giving you no control over how fast it goes.

It's a major disappointment that there is no function for acceleration/slowing with keyboard or controller commands. I can't possibly be the only one who wants this feature... are you all madly in love with cutscenes or is that something which is difficult to implement for the 64?

Is it possible to map the FPS unleash to R2 somehow?

-Olaf
is IIRC=If I Recall?
That's what I assumed, so correct me if you meant In Indigo Rainbow Country (Where all the rainbows are just Indigo! Take that other colors!)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Is it possible to map the FPS unleash to R2 somehow?

-Olaf
is IIRC=If I Recall?
That's what I assumed, so correct me if you meant In Indigo Rainbow Country (Where all the rainbows are just Indigo! Take that other colors!)
You need to use a keyboard --> gamepad mapper like XPadder to do that.

IIRC = If I Recall/Remember Correctly.