What's new

Difference between games origins/settings?

Rich_T

Hi all,

It seems most games/roms have many different versions ( i.e E U J ) I know this relates to the country the game was initially released in, other differences I have noticed is different versions i.e v1.1, v1.2.

My question is, will texture packs work with any game version/origin? Or is there a rule that everyone uses a certain type?

Thanks

Allnatural

I suspect that texture packs are interchangable with different rom versions, but it wouldn't hurt to check the release notes to make sure.

OP
R

Rich_T

I suspect that texture packs are interchangable with different rom versions, but it wouldn't hurt to check the release notes to make sure.

Thanks for reply,

I just tried the community Zealda OOT texture pack and could not find any release notes with it, it seems to work fine with my (E) version rom though. What's interesting is that the emulator knew to look in the hi-res folder 'THE LEGEND OF ZELDA', without me pointing to it. I guess it must be programmed into the emulator that codename 'THE LEGEND OF ZELDA', relates to OOT. Unless it scans all folders/files for imgaes that share the same name as the originals?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The folder name is based on the internal name of the ROM image. In OOT's case, it just happens to be THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rich_T

Ahh I understand now, so a rom from a different origin will have the same internal name?

OP
R

Rich_T

Most of the time yes, but IIRC, there are some exceptions.

Thanks for confirmation, I was afraid you were going to say 'the emulator see's all and knows exactly where you place the hi-res texture pack folder' ;)