What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

help with dumping textures using Rice Video Plugin

jhammer

Ok, first of all, yes, I am new. Please don't heckle me about that. I have some experience in Photoshop and would like to explore the concept of retexturing. Simple enough, right?

Well, I've been using Project 64 v. 1.6 for a while (just playing games), so I thought that would be where I start. I have downloaded the RDB update for Project 64, as well as the Rice Video Plugin. (6.1.4, btw) I have configured the plugin with the emulator and it seems to work fine. I also created the folders: "hires_texture" and "texture_dump". Regardless of whether or not it is actually relevant, I have also downloaded "BMGLibPNG.dll".

Ok, so as I understand it, I run a rom, (I've tried several, including both of the Banjo games, Mario 64, and Zelda OOT), click on "Options" (on PJ64), go to "Configure Graphics Plugin", "Click on "Texture Enhancement", and tick the box that says "dump textures to files". After I click OK, a black screen comes up telling me the option has been turned on, and it apparently "finds all textures". It goes through all the textures on the screen, like it seems to me it is supposed to do, and the game resumes. So I end the emulation and look in the texture_dump directory where the files are supposed to be. It's empty. I go back into the game and do the same process, but this time I untick the option before I end the emulation. Same thing happens. I try it in 1964. Same thing happens. I try it with a different rom (and another after that). Nothing happens.

Am I missing something here? (Note: I've also tried using other versions of the video plugin i.e. 6.1.0, etc.) They will either do the same thing or crash the program completely upon ending the emulation, whether or not the option to dump the textures is still ticked.

I'm really sorry about the long read, but I'm just trying to be specific. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful. I've been messing with this for 2 days, and I'd like to resolve the issue.

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi jhammer and welcome to emutalk,

Try this,

1. Don't do the "end the emulation" part.
2. Once you tick the "dump..." option and the game resumes press: F5 then F7.

This creates and loads a save state. You can also change the save state in the "system" drop down menu so you can save different save states for use later.

Note: I use save states and F7 everytime I make and/or change each and every texture.

Let me know if it works,
Jay

OP
J

jhammer

Thanks for the advice, man. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be enough. On Mario and OOT, it saved, then brought up the black screen again. Then, it went back to the game like always, but there was still nothing in the folder. I also tried it on Banjo-Tooie. When I loaded the save state, all the graphics got screwed up. It looked like the camera had moved into the side of one of the walls and was trying to look out into the main area. At any rate, there was no change in the effect. I do appreciate the help though.

greendayduh

Are you running vista or 7?

Not sure if it is reated atall to be fair but have you tried running in Vista elevated mode? I had same issues and tried it and it seemed to fix it.

mikezenox

Are you running vista or 7?

Not sure if it is reated atall to be fair but have you tried running in Vista elevated mode? I had same issues and tried it and it seemed to fix it.

Try that, I experienced this problem recently and found that vista wasn't allowing the emulator to dump in the default directory (program files), so it instead dumped in MyName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Project64 1.6, very annoying. :/

OP
J

jhammer

@mikezenox

Thanks, man. You're right. The dumped files were in the AppData folder. That helps a lot. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Much appreciated.