What's new

Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromanik

I have rehosted the file, because those download sites are just bad for my mental health.

Sorry, I renamed the file a little to avoid FTP headaches.

Download Mirror

Good to see there are still improvements being made :)
Especially since mudlord apparently quit.

Last edited:

mudlord88

Banned
By downloading it.

Simple.

Aristotle: Any more ideas for what to fix. Redoing framebuffer emulation will be a doozy, just warning you (it really needs a hardware-based implementation using render to texture). Glad to hear you got those compiler bugs ironed out.

OP
A

Aristotle900

Pyromanik: Thanks for the mirror. :) I just can't seem to come across a nice web space hosting site, that doesn't have a file limit, or isn't crap. I'll continue to use the one I'm using, at least for now.

Mudlord: Currently, I'm still working on getting it to pre load all textures and work from there. Once I do that, I'll add it in as an option in the configuration dialog box, because not everyone will have enough memory to handle it, unless I do something about that too.. Framebuffer emulation..I took a look at the code for the plugin there...It's like hypnotic and confusing to the second power. XD I dunno about that one. Certainly won't be anytime soon.

And yes, I got it to compel, and without any warnings. Over 40 function calls had to be updated, and a library was overlooked; was supposed to be excluded from the linking. That I included in the recent version of the source.

As for things to fix, not going to tackle that yet. Totally focusing on full texture pre-loading and caching. ;) Then I want to fix things like Mario Kart race results, and most game's with their LOD problems, which I think I have hunch on how to solve that problem.. :ph34r:

imspecial

awesome work

also if you have a live account you could use http://skydrive.live.com to host the files, as there is a 50mb limit per file and you can link to one location for all of the revisions as you can link to a single directory housing all of the files.

gitech

N64 Artist
As for things to fix, not going to tackle that yet. Totally focusing on full texture pre-loading and caching. ;) Then I want to fix things like Mario Kart race results, and most game's with their LOD problems, which I think I have hunch on how to solve that problem.. :ph34r:

WOW! Merry Christmas!!! Where have I been?! I am sooo thrilled to see you are having success with RV and esp with the texture caching!!! :bouncy:

I think Turok 1 has LOD issues too. I will retexture it some day if it gets fixed. ;) :)

I am in a hurry, but I am going to DL and try to try (IT) now.

I wonder if a new name for the plugin is in order?

Sweet!!!

TTYL,
Jay

gitech

N64 Artist
I just gave it a quick try before I go for a family party...

I get "failed to load plugin.... ....RiceVideoStable.dll"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

BTW: THANK YOU GUYS!!! :)

OP
A

Aristotle900

I just gave it a quick try before I go for a family party...

I get "failed to load plugin.... ....RiceVideoStable.dll"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

BTW: THANK YOU GUYS!!! :)

You have to place the two DLL files, that are in the folder named 'Emulator Directory' and place them in the director with the main emulator files, not the plugin directory.

A new name? Perhaps later. Dunno what I'd change it too. XD Anyway, still working on this. I got it to pre load one texture, but that's all. I could program it to load a texture per line of code, but not all automatically. So I'm looking up C++ incrementing code. Basically, need to learn some more, so I can create the pre-loading texture system.

Imspecial: I have an account with Live, sorta..It's joined with my Yahoo E-Mail account.

gitech

N64 Artist
You have to place the two DLL files, that are in the folder named 'Emulator Directory' and place them in the director with the main emulator files, not the plugin directory.

A new name? Perhaps later. Dunno what I'd change it too. XD Anyway, still working on this. I got it to pre load one texture, but that's all. I could program it to load a texture per line of code, but not all automatically. So I'm looking up C++ incrementing code. Basically, need to learn some more, so I can create the pre-loading texture system.

I know. ;) I am not having any luck so far. I have tried deleting all/any Rice related files except yours, same thing. Then reinstalling MRV 6.1.4 and re-downloading and re-copying you files back in too, still same thing.

Name? Just a fast thought and my fingers typed it. Name...hmmm....

Sorry I am typing short..I will be more thorough when I am less pressed for time.

Thanks a million!
Jay

Here is a screenshot, tried to get everything in there:

fvydyf.jpg

OP
A

Aristotle900

Wow..I really don't understand that, but so far you are the only one experiencing this problem. Is the same thing happening with the other Rice versions? Hmm, maybe I'm overlooking something..I'll edit my post if I find anything.

gitech

N64 Artist
I am backing up my textures right now and am going to do a full re-install of PJ64.

No problems with other versions.

Idea: could it have anything to do with how I named my root folder "project64 1.6 new"?

Are your files dependent on having any other rice files, or should they work on their own?

Thanks,
Jay

OP
A

Aristotle900

It needs the config file that comes with the Mudlord release, which I will include in the next release. So far, I've tested it and no problems on Project 64. Doesn't even seem to need those two DLLs with it. 1964 does need them, and that's the emulator I use normally. No problems with running the plugin on ether.

Still, no one has said they have had a crashing problem with it, so perhaps it's your installation of Project 64. I dunno..Reinstalling Project 64 might fix the problem. And no, I don't think it's the way you named the root folder, because I changed mine to the same as yours, and still it has yet to crash on me.

microdev

No problems here neither. Maybe a google search helps here. For the most of the people this error was caused by an incompatible DirectX version. Does the original Mudlord release (the DirectX8 one) work for you? Did you change your system configuration shortly (e.g. reinstall)?

@Aristotle900:
I think it might be more save to not alter TextureManager.cpp but to change the function LoadHiresTexture() in file TextureFilters.cpp like this, instead:

Code:
void LoadHiresTexture( TxtrCacheEntry &entry )
{
	if( entry.bExternalTxtrChecked )
		return;
	// microdev: don't load highres texture if it has already been loaded 
	if(entry.dwEnhancementFlag == TEXTURE_EXTERNAL)
		return;
That way it will be possible to stay with the original TextureManager code and retain the dynamic (memory dependend) texture caching that was supported by the original code. That would avoid memory issues with lower end pcs. :cheers:

This would also ease to switch it on and off as soon as you changed the resource file. (unfortunately VC++ express does not support the editing of resource files...)

I wish you good luck with advancing the plugin. Won't be an easy job as the code contains nearly no comments...

Keep up the good work!

microdev

Last edited:
OP
A

Aristotle900

Hmm, doesn't seem to be making as much of a difference. In fact, gave me the blue screen twice when I reversed the changes in TextureManager.cpp and changed that in TextureFilters.cpp, and played Castlevania LOD with Gitech's graphics pack, on it. :plain:

And for Lower end PCs, when I can get pre-loading working, I'll add this texture load in memory and stay, plus the texture pre-loading, as options in the config menu.

Yeah, Visual Studio 2008, doesn't have resource editing. Heh.

Yes, it sure doesn't have many comments..XD Probably why it's such a headache to figure out anything. lol

gitech

N64 Artist
Thanks guys, I am going to say that every day! ;)

I am still not able to load your version. :( I un/re-installed PJ64. Same thing. Tried removing the 2 .dll's in the root folder and still same thing.

I tried it with 1964 and it didn't recognize anything. No warnings, no plugin. :(

Here is a pic. Can you see anything wrong? How about the rice config file: do I have the right one?

Thanks in advance!
Jay

148dopx.jpg

microdev

Hmm, doesn't seem to be making as much of a difference. In fact, gave me the blue screen twice when I reversed the changes in TextureManager.cpp and changed that in TextureFilters.cpp, and played Castlevania LOD with Gitech's graphics pack, on it. :plain:

Ouch, you are right. You have to change the functuion RecycleTexture in file TextureManager.cpp as well to get it working the way I thought. Otherwise, if the list element is reused and the texture enhancement flag is still set to hires texture, the caching system tries to load the texture from a non-allocated address, which will lead to a memory access violation.

Please view the modified code below:

Code:
// Add to the recycle list
void CTextureManager::RecycleTexture(TxtrCacheEntry *pEntry)
{
	if (g_bUseSetTextureMem)
		return;

if( CDeviceBuilder::GetGeneralDeviceType() == OGL_DEVICE )
	{
		// Fix me, why I can not reuse the texture in OpenGL,
		// how can I unload texture from video card memory for OpenGL
		delete pEntry;
		return;
	}

if (pEntry->pTexture == NULL)
	{
		// No point in saving!
		delete pEntry;
	}
	else
	{
		// Add to the list
		pEntry->pNext = m_pHead;
		[B]// microdev: reset the texture enhancement flag
		pEntry->dwEnhancementFlag = TEXTURE_NO_ENHANCEMENT;[/B]
		SAFE_DELETE(pEntry->pEnhancedTexture);
		m_pHead = pEntry;
	}
}

This time I compiled it and it works fine for me. =]

Besides that the caching eliminates the slowdown in some cases and reduces it in others. But compared to the original game w/o hires texure usage, you can still recognize slowdowns (not that drastic anymore but still existing) in some places. This occures e.g. in the entrance hall (one of the savestates of GiTech) when you face two knights. Thus I fear the actual bug has to be tracked down nevertheless.

@gitech:
Hmm, I actually have no glue why it isn't working for you. Maybe you could try out the regkey-remover form mudlord?

Your driver for the graphic card is properly installed?

Has anybody else encountered problems running Aristotle's builds of the plugin?

mudlord88

Banned
if( CDeviceBuilder::GetGeneralDeviceType() == OGL_DEVICE )
{
// Fix me, why I can not reuse the texture in OpenGL,
// how can I unload texture from video card memory for OpenGL
delete pEntry;
return;
}

glDeleteTextures(1, &texture_handle);

Learn to read the OpenGL documentation >.>

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi guys,

I just updated my GFX and Motherboard drivers (both nvidia) and did a compete uninstall of PJ64 and RV including (all) registry entries for both.

I'm sad to report it's still the same. Exactly the same.

The registry entries I deleted were:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\N64 Emulation
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JaboSoft\Proj ect64 DLL
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ricedialus.....(something)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ricevideo.....(something else)

The link above for the "regkey-remover" is bad. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Can anyone post screenshots so I can see exactly what files are needed?

I am depressed! ;) All this work and "I" am having stupid problems. :(

Hmmm...try, try again...

Thank you,
Jay

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.