What's new

Aristotle's Mudlord & Rice Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rice

Emulator Developer
My video card supports DirectX 9.0, but not as well as 8.0. And no, it really is possible to overclock it, I would just have to be very careful not to mess up anything, since it's easy to do so on laptop main-boards. Then there would be the heat issues..

And I use DirectX, because my video card doesn't like OpenGL at all. Only thing that works nicely with it, is the DecentX program. (3D space shooter game)

Remove all OpenGL emulation? That would take a little doing, but uhh..What is the need for doing that? o_O You know, you can select which rendering system to use, in the options.

If everyone is comfortable with C++ virtual classes / virtual functions, etc, then we really do not need to remove DirectX or OpenGL from the code because they are done in different paths in derived C++ classes. Such a setup was not bad at all, as far as we can live with it.

All other features, including N64 related functions and features, texture replacement and enhancement features, are shared between DirectX and OpenGL.

Rice

Emulator Developer
From what I see, N64 emulation really do not need pixel shader more than version 1.0 for color combiner and alpha blender purpose.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Done right, no matter how you look at it the opengl render will be faster then D3D, it just requires a complete overhaul to fix the Lod and colouring issues.

H

h4tred

Lets face it Squall, OpenGL's fixed function pipeline sucks. At least, thats what Jabo found out :p. Doing the combiner/blender emulation with GLSL shaders is really the way to go there.

Rice said:
From what I see, N64 emulation really do not need pixel shader more than version 1.0 for color combiner and alpha blender purpose.

Suppose you made a valid point. :p However, it would be nice to make some enhancements like per pixel lighting (what Orkin did) possible.

However, I still think that a rewrite would help. Having a plugin redone to fit current video card standards (like antialiasing on framebuffers) sounds kinda kewl.

--mud.

Rice

Emulator Developer
Near plane clipping is one thing that OpenGL is definitely better than DirectX. If you follow the code, you will see that I have to manual near plane clipping for DirectX which is working well but still fairly buggy. Jabo is also using DirectX and I don't know why he does not have near plane clipping problems.

In fact, N64's rendering pipeline is very similar to OpenGL.

Is per pixel lighting = cell shading? Pixel shader 1.0 has no problems to support cell shading, as far as there are 3 or more texture units in the video card.

H

h4tred

Is per pixel lighting = cell shading? Pixel shader 1.0 has no problems to support cell shading, as far as there are 3 or more texture units in the video card.

Nope

The process is very different to cel shading.

Interesting. Would love to read up more on the technical details of it.

--mud

death--droid

Are you saying that when you dump textures, it checks in the hi res folder and doesn't dump any textures in it? I've been waiting for this for a long time. I would love to test this for you.

Yes i am saying it checks to see if the textures allready exist in the hi res folder.
I need to fix 3 errors then it's ready for testing.

EDIT:
I don't think its working properly so it may take some time.

Last edited:

Mollymutt

That is awesome! This will fix the problem of duplicate textures. This will make retexturing much easier and faster IMHO.

death--droid

Almost done I'm just going to do a round of testing before i release it.

EDIT:
Just about to release a beta version just need to fix up some of the plugin gui alignment.

EDIT3: Checking to see if there is anything else that i can do at the moment.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Near plane clipping is one thing that OpenGL is definitely better than DirectX. If you follow the code, you will see that I have to manual near plane clipping for DirectX which is working well but still fairly buggy. Jabo is also using DirectX and I don't know why he does not have near plane clipping problems.

Well actually, Jabo's plugin does have some near plane issues, but alot of them are worked around using his own specific methods. His little secrets is suppose.

death--droid

Ok just wondering did you want tmem locked on?
Or did you want the bug fixed?

EDIT:
I'm getting the crashing again.

Here's the error that came up with 1964

800AEF2C: Exception in emulation thread

EDIT2:
I'm porting Mudlords filters at the moment besides the crashing.

EDIT3:

Port successful

Last edited:

death--droid

I can't do much more into this crashing bug is fixed.Just noticed it happens for me with any texture enhancement things changed.

I'm going to try and rewrite the FindScaleFactor so it checks anything that is 2* the original texture.
Wish me luck.(I won't be able to test it because of the problem)

EDIT:
I wonder if anyone is even acknowledging what I'm doing?

EDIT2:I might not do that looks a bit to complex for me.

EDIT3:If i manage to get mudlords latest running fine I'll go start modding that instead.
Unless someone manages to fix up the crashing error.

EDIT4:Hmm interesting the crashing bug exists in mudlords latest uploaded open source code.

EDIT5:Aristole your versioning is incorrect since the source code yours is based off is 6.12 Because yours still his jpeg support.

Also just wondering did you want me to remove jpeg support?

Last edited:

death--droid

Thanks gitech.

Just wondering.
Do you find jpeg pointless for textures if so I'll remove it.
Also does texture loading work for you?

gitech

N64 Artist
I do find jpeg pointless. Just asking for jpeg artifact problems and no one wants to see that in a texture pack. ;)

You mean do hires textures load for me? Yes, everything loads as it should.

Later,
Jay

death--droid

Ok cool.
Just removed jpeg support.

One more question.
What do you have installed and what OS are you running.
I'm trying to figure out why mine crashes.

Also do you ever use rgb_bmp?
EDIT:
I'm looking at mudlords change log.

EDIT2:

The current changelog of mine is:

+Added the ability to scan the hi-res directory to lower the risk of getting duplicated textures(Can be turned off)
+Ported Mudlords HQ2xS and LQ2xS filters from glidehq.
-Removed Jpeg Support.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

imspecial

texture loading fails for me, simply crashes after loading all of the textures. I tried a few different revisions (all of which crashed) and I know it isn't the pack as it works with the original rice 6.1.1 plugin

Running 64bit Vista Home Premium which may be the cause of the problem

OP
A

Aristotle900

texture loading fails for me, simply crashes after loading all of the textures. I tried a few different revisions (all of which crashed) and I know it isn't the pack as it works with the original rice 6.1.1 plugin

Running 64bit Vista Home Premium which may be the cause of the problem

Yes, that should be the cause of the problem. The application is built for a 32Bit platform.

Death-Droid: I hope everything's going well. :) Still going though the code and trying to understand why it keeps crashing Project64..So far I haven't gotten anywhere. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.