What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Making Hi-res Textures...discusion thread

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi, and welcome to the discussion thread for the " Making Hi-res Textures...community tutorial thread "

Anyone can post anything here regarding retexturing and the tutorials!

Please note: When you post a question or comment that refers to a specific tutorial or artist please include the artist name, tutorial name, post #, and/or a link to the post you are referring to in each post to make it easier for the creator of the tutorial to answer your questions and sort through this thread.

Example: ...about the tutorial in post #?, how do you...???

You know. ;) :)

Have fun!

Last edited:

cerebus5

Great work gitech. I wish I had a way to get into retexturing myself. But studies plus full time work plus a new baby - my time is precious these days.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Mode7, post #5: Create a high res texture out of a photo - PART 1: BASICS,

Nice Tutorial! Awesome!

The thing I find intriguing is I have never used the Crop or perspective tool/options outlined in your tut. I'll use Ctrl c,v,p and marquee(s) to make multiple layers of everything including their different 'selections' while keeping the original of each for use if needed.

But, I will try your tech's! Benefits await! :) I am sure I will have questions. ;)

Last edited:

dutchMasta

I get this error:
This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.
Really interested in those tutorials mode7, thanks for the write up.
Thanks also gitech, nice tutorials.

Just one question, in retexturing, say a wooden texture, do you guys
a) create one COMPLETELY on your own, like say going out, taking a picture of some wooden surface, scan, edit then create a photoshop texture pattern, before using it, or drawing it in photoshop from scratch
b) create one partially on your own, finding a good stock image of a wooden surface, then creating the texture pattern from that, then use it
c) find a photoshop texture pattern file, install and then use it
d) just use some effects on the original texture, like sharpening or whatever
Obviously different texture files will require different methods, like some are just letters or numbers, but I'm talking about generic background textures.

mode7

FIRST OF ALL:
Does anybody here have the ability to host these tutorials because RapidShare doesn't allow more than 10 Downloads. They are not more than 2MB in total!

Really interested in those tutorials mode7, thanks for the write up.
Thanks also gitech, nice tutorials.

Just one question, in retexturing, say a wooden texture, do you guys
a) create one COMPLETELY on your own, like say going out, taking a picture of some wooden surface, scan, edit then create a photoshop texture pattern, before using it, or drawing it in photoshop from scratch
b) create one partially on your own, finding a good stock image of a wooden surface, then creating the texture pattern from that, then use it
c) find a photoshop texture pattern file, install and then use it
d) just use some effects on the original texture, like sharpening or whatever
Obviously different texture files will require different methods, like some are just letters or numbers, but I'm talking about generic background textures.

I think it depends on what style you are aiming. For a game like Mario 64 a photo texture would be completely misplaced. So here qou would probalbly just paint one in PS in a cartoon style.
When you aming for realism photos are your best choice (unless you are really good at painting). Using them is also much faster (and believe me speed IS an issue). Going out and taking a picture is a good idea - you can find just what you are looking for and wait for the best light or use a flash (hard shadows are always bad!).
Before you decide the picture take a look at the original texture in-game (!). Study it, think about which material it is made of (not always easy with n64 games). When you've made up your mind go and search for your texture in nature or on the internet (I think I mentioned SXC.hu). Make it tiling, edit it (you can paint a structure if you set a new layer to multiply and start painting the shadows of the structure) When you done match the color, save, go in-game,look, go back and tweak and so on.

One last tip: Start with the texture that is most used in the game/level, then the second most etc. this way you'll keep the motivation because you see the impact of your work and don't bother about Letters or HUD.

One really last tip: Don't get discouraged if things don't work out right away. Try another texture first and come back later!

Now excuse me - I have some retexturing to do...

dutchMasta

Try Sharebee, it'll upload it to various other hosts, such as rapidshare. Weird, I've never heard of this limit thing.

Thanks for the tips, I definitely prefer realism over cel-shaded. Doubt I'll do any photographing, don't have a good camera and that's just way too much effort, though would be pretty cool.
Just did one retexture and speed is definitely an issue, took ages on it when it looked pretty simple to do, though I was pretty slow.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Agreed.

All who agree say "I".

Post if you agree please. Like a poll, it will only take a second to do. :)

ctatumt

Yeah for sure it should be stickied! If not both, just the actuall making hi-res textures thread would be sufficient :)

dutchMasta

I also, this could really help for community based textures.

One neat time saver I found, for textures that require several images, such as the ingame menus from pressing Start in Zelda Majora's Mask, or the actual Mask+Logo at the beginning or the Nintendo 64 logo at the very start, etc., if you do the editing by merging those images together to form the whole texture then want to split them again very easily after you're done retexturing:
* Use the slice tool, right click on the image, divide accordingly, then click save for Web & Devices
* Select all of the slices (click & drag mouse), click on the preset PNG-24 to the right, then save.
You'll have to do the renaming yourself though. Hope it helps, probably everyone already knows it since I'm sort of a beginner to Photoshop.

cerebus5

mode7 try Windows Livedrive. I think it's 6 gb free uploads or something.

Gitech are you doing a MM texture pack now?

mode7

There's a tool called HiRes Easer that will do all this for you. Look at the sticky threads you will find it there.

ReplayTy

Super Mario RPG master
I need help on knowing how and where I should place the hires texture I made for a Star Fox 64 hires project I'm making, I am Using GIMP 2.6.2. if you need the picture, then I can post it if needed

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Yep, I use them. Great stuff! Just watch my Majora's Mask Video Tutorial that's in the tutorial thread to see one of the ways they can be used.