What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Making Hi-res Textures...discusion thread

ReplayTy

Super Mario RPG master
You haven't answered my question yet! HOW and WHERE should I PLACE the TEXTURE so I can USE it in the game?

mode7

Just found a brilliant site for textures, plus they all tile seamlessly
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/
TONS of high quality ones, should help in making hi-res textures.

Thank you very much for this link!
When you find images or textures on the web, always make sure you can use them while not violating some copyright laws.

BTW: A similar program than the one these textures were made with is called Mapzone. It's FREE.
You'll need some practice though..

@ReplayTy: Look at the stickies! No disrespect man, but you're working on a texture pack but don't even know were to put your textures.

Last edited:

Violineb

I say I.

Just wanted to make a suggestion. I know you want to keep things uniform by keeping it in the forums, but at some point it may not be a bad idea to have this in Wiki form once it becomes more complex. It just is way easier to find a particular subject you may be searching for.

BTW gitech, I wanted to say your mod for LoD is absolutely amazing! Without a doubt the most in depth texture mod out there. I can wait to see what else you have in store.

mode7

Yeah a wiki would be a great thing!
It would make everything so much easier.
Projects or Games could be organised. There could be a section with Tutorials too. And a search function that works better than searching threads.
Distribution would be much easier too.

And mods are not really active here anymore...

- The only problem is that I have no Idea how to do that, nor where to host it, nor the time to find things out.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
You haven't answered my question yet! HOW and WHERE should I PLACE the TEXTURE so I can USE it in the game?

Hi ReplayTy,

Here is a post I made awhile back for this guy "deathbycold" that should help you get started.

It is a good idea to spend some time on a texture project by yourself first and have something to show before you say you have started it as a project here.

But, asking questions to help you get started is in no way a bad thing, and we welcome it! We only ask that you would spend a little time looking for an answer yourself first. It shows you have initiative and have done your homework.

For instance: I spent months just lurking around this forum, reading entire threads, downloading others' retexture packs, messing with their textures, and hence learning all I could before I even started my own retexture project (on Castlevania LOD).

And even then, I did not create my thread here for my CLOD pack until I had about 90% of all the textures in the game done (for the "first" version = v1.1). Then I learned that once 90% of the game was "done"...I had 90% worth of work to do just to get the first version "finished" so I could release it on my birthday. (I think there is a saying that goes something like that. ;) )

Anyway, then once I released that first version of CLOD, I realized I wanted to start all over again from the beginning and do a second version so that I could integrate all of my built up experience into the entire game (not just the last half) to make it all match from beginning to end.

So, something like 3000 or 4000 hours later I still have 100 to 200 textures left to re-re-do to finish the second, and hopefully final, version...which I am naming v1.2 Final. I hope to have it done by Christmas for all to enjoy.

That's nearly an entire year of almost all of my free time. This is something you should take into consideration, but, like all of us that have done retextures, it is a hobby and how long it takes is not an issue, so do not be scared, take it slow and have fun.

Rome wasn't built in a day! :)

Hey, I will have some pics from CLOD tonight for you guys. I want to show off the new weapon items I am spending way too much time on. ;)

BTW, There are a few things I would like to have for the final release that I CAN NOT do myself. I need the help of the community to make these 3 things happen so that CLOD can be "all-that-it-can-be". As you all probably already know:

1. The in game text can not be retextured. I need someone to figure out why, and what can be done about it.
2. The targeting reticle is huge and annoying as it flashes from bright yellow, orange and red, and does not fit the new "game" very well. I was once told the colors and/or opacity of it should be able to be changed with a "game shark" code. I need someone to figure out how it can be changed.
3. The slowdown caused by the duplicate texture name "thing" in Rice video. I do not want to do a complete conversion to Glide64 or Jabo just for a couple of cases of severe slowdown and/or limitation of textures that I can retexture. Mudlord said it could be fixed but he had already decided he didn't want to work on Rice video anymore. I need someone to fix this bug in Rice video.

Later,
GITech

(Now see, "I" can use bold and CAPS because I have earned the respect and friendship of the others here over time. Be careful about being demanding of the community when you are new. Just good advice! ;) :) )

Question from deathbycold:

Um, apologies if this is a stupid question,

I've downloaded the rice plugin and put in my project64's plugin folder. PJ64 loads the plugin fine for me, but I don't have any texture dumps. I see a folder named "Hi Res Textures" in my plugins folder but the folder itself is empty. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

My response:

The "hires_texture" folder is where you would put a "hires texture pack" that you can download from various threads here in our "Hight resolution texture projects" forum.

Or, it is where you would place "your" hi-res textures if you made some from your own texture dump of a game.

To do your own hires textures you would first check "dump textures to files" in the video plugin and play through the game that you want to dump and retexture. A new folder will automatically be created in your "plugin" folder called "texture_dump". In that folder another new folder will automatically be created for the game you "dumped" textures from with the "correct name" for the game. By "correct name" I mean it is the name that the plugin created for the folder and is the name that the plugin recognizes for that game(it's also the ROM's internal name as it appears in the top of PJ64 when the game is running). This means that when/if you make a hires texture of your own you will need to place it in (save it to) a folder of the same (exact) name that YOU create within in the "hires_texture" folder. That way the plugin goes to the "hires_texture" folder to look for the games textures instead of the ROM.

Tip: play through one "area", "level" or "room" at a time and take (copy) the textures that dump for that "area" AFTER you have fully explored it and just BEFORE you leave the "area" to go to the next, such as defeat a boss or go through a door. Create a new folder in your (plugin/hires_texture/"game name") folder with the name of the "level" or "area" you just copied the dumps for. Paste the textures that you copied from the dump folder for that area into it your new (plugin/hires_texture/"game name"/"area name") folder you just created.

For example your folder directory would look like this: ...Desktop\Emulators\N64\N64 Emulators\project64 1.6\Plugin\hires_texture\CASTLEVANIA2\CHARACTERS\FRIENDLIES\CARRIE FERNANDEZ\CARRIE 2ND COSTUME\2ND POISON

*All of the folders in capital letters were created by me/would be created by you. This example is of a folder directory that is pretty advanced but I put it here to show you what kind of folder creation/organization you should use to make sorting through all the textures you create easier when you are faced with thousands of textures to keep track of.

Once you have all of the textures for an area in the folder you created above you can open the texture you want to change (make "hi-res") in an editing program like Photoshop, do what ever you want to it, and save it. It should save right over the old "lo-res" texture, and now you have a hi-res texture that will replace the old one while playing the game. :cool:

For reference you can download this hi-res texture pack and learn more about retexturing from my experiences here: Castlevania LOD Hi-res Texture Pack WIP

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
ReplayTy, Yes. Please read the above post carefully.

Violineb, Thanks. I will look into the wiki.

mode7

done and done
http://iustrings.com/n64tex
and I'm sure you can learn how to go about making a wiki of this. If not, here's a 2 minutes video tut that will teach you. (skip to about halfway to avoid installation instructions)
http://www.idratherbewriting.com/video/dokuwiki.html

I don't have any time myself to take care of the wiki but it's really straight forward and I'm sure you can figure it out. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Hi Violineb,

could you please install the imagebox plugin for the wiki.
http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:imagebox
It would really help me to transfer my tutorials to the wiki.

Note would be nice to ;)

http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:note

ReplayTy

Super Mario RPG master
well, thanks for the tips, now then, I got to get to work on my hires (although I have a cold, and its well over 2000 textures), thanks for the help!

Violineb

@mode7:
imagebox and note have both been installed :) In case you need to contact me quickly, it's probably faster to email me as I don't know if people reply to this thread.

Additionally, I wanted to add that I could probably host some of the mods directly on the wiki since download links have a tendency to disappear/break. My host offers 300GB of bandwidth and I typically use 2GB per month so I think I should be ok.

mode7

Thanks a lot! I'm going to check it out right away!
Hosting the packs on your site is a very generous offer.
I think many people are looking for a stable host.

Violineb

Well quite frankly, I am amazed no one else has stepped up to help. I was also pissed that every time I wanted to try a mod it didn't exist any more. Even Djipi's and Federelli's mods are difficult to find. Besides those I don't think there really is any full game Zelda mod. Though I may be wrong. I'm thinking 300GB of bandwidth should be enough for what we need.

I'm not sure what the upload limits are when going through the wiki upload so I will get you a ftp login eventually. I'll upload some packs myself if I ever find the time.

mudlord88

Banned
Okay,

This might sound like a slap in the face, but is there any clear and concise tutorials on retexturing somewhere?

The reason is.................I am interested in making a pack for a game that has not had a retexture.

Also, for tutorials and small texture packs, I'll be able to host them. :)

mudlord88

Banned
Okay,

This might sound like a slap in the face, but is there any clear and concise tutorials on retexturing somewhere?

The reason is.................I am interested in making a pack for a game that has not had a complete retexture. My tools are Paint.NET with all the common plugins (like the ones from MadJik, pyrochild, BoltBait and so on....)

Also, for tutorials and small texture packs, I'll be able to host them.