What's new

sound issues

Xenos

Hello! I recently download the latest version of JNES for some old school retro gaming. Overall, I like the feel of it. However, I am having various sound issues in some games, particularly Mega Man 1 and 2. When Megaman jumps or uses his cannon, a distorted noise follows. This does not occur while using the same roms in Nestopia or FCE Ultra.Another game with some sound problems is The Legend of Zelda. The rupee collection noise and when trying to create a character on the main screen are other weird high pitched sounds. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated. I already tried tinkering with the audio settings to no effect.

Last edited:
OP
Xenos

Xenos

Yes, I have onboard RealTek Drivers. You think even though the sound works on FCE Ultra and Nestopia, it can be the issue with JNES?

Update: I have tested JNES on an older system with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card and obtained the same results, so i don't think its my onboard sound. If the developer could confirm this that would be great. On a side note, the Ninja Gaiden games work fine, which is a relief since they are among my favorite.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Lol, its not the onboard sound itself, but the chipset and buffer latency

heh, and upon further reading, that board has a Cirrus Logic Sound fusion, which is a worse dsp then is on most onboards,... However, its most definitely buffer related

OP
Xenos

Xenos

Squall, Do you think my issue will be solved if i upgrade my sound card from onboard to PCI one? If so, any recommendations? I'd love to continue using this emulator and its practically perfect except the sound issues. Not sure Mega Man game sounds emulate perfectly on Nestopia but not JNES with same exact hardware.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

It would benefit to get one of the latest Cmedia cards, or a Soundblaster Live or higher as they have better buffer latencies, however it could easily be solved with a configurable buffer length.

Additionally, you could decrease the acceleration level for the sound chip in the system audio properties

OP
Xenos

Xenos

Thanks for the replies. I have Vista 32 bit OS, so I don't think you can manually adjust hardware acceleration for sounds any more. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 model, and I have the lastest realtek drivers for the onboard sound. Do you think there is a software application that would allow me to manually change the buffer latency? If not, I can always just buy a Soundblaster Xfi series card.

squall_leonhart

Oh... microsoft have gone fucking retarded doing that >.> god damn it.

Its a long shot, but you can change the latency of the sound chip itself using the PCI Latency tool, it may help with crackling, and it may now.

Rodimus Primal

I noticed odd sounds in Super Mario Bros. When Mario jumps or hits a block it doesn't sound as accurate as on actual hardware or other emulators.