What's new

Bugfix Release: Mupen64Plus v1.4.1

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I finally got around to tagging and releasing version 1.4.1 of Mupen64Plus. I have to apologize for not releasing this earlier; there was at least one major bug in v1.4 that probably affected a lot of players. So go out and download this release right now, because it will run a lot faster if you hadn't disabled the On Screen Display.

This version includes no new features over v1.4 but it does include over 20 bug fixes. Some of the problems that are fixed include: the major slowdown caused by the On Screen Display, a bunch of different crashes in the 64-bit version and in the Glide64 plugin, an installation script bug on non-BASH shells, some Blight input fixes, a fix for Conker's BFD, and memory leaks.

This will be the only bugfix release before the v1.5 release. I don't have a scheduled release date for v1.5 but it will probably be before the end of the year. For those interested, there have been over 600 commits to the Mupen64Plus source code since the 1.4 release. There aren't any major new features, but a lot of compatibility fixes (it builds and runs on Intel Macs now, even the dynarec!) and huge numbers of small fixes and improvements to both the GTK and QT GUIs.

Mupen64Plus has a Home Page over at Google Code, with lots of useful information, screenshots, a bug tracker, a discussion forum, etc.

To download Mupen64Plus v1.4.1, just grab the package that you want:

Mupen64Plus-1-4-1-bin-32.zip
Mupen64Plus-1-4-1-bin-64.zip
Mupen64Plus-1-4-1-src.zip

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Cool. No OSX release for this? Or shall I just build myself?

This release is based on the 1.4 source code, so it doesn't have all of the OSX fixes. Thus, you will not be able to build this. For Intel Mac users, you still need to build from the head of the SVN trunk. The 1.5 release will include all of the OSX fixes, so you'll be able to build that from source. Hopefully we'll get someone to make a proper OSX binary package as well, so Mac users will be able to just install it.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
What happened to the windows build you were working on?
Any progress?

The old Mupen64Plus Win32 build based on v1.3 had a short life. I haven't heard anything from NMN in a very long time. However our main Qt developer (Slougi) has expressed an interest in making a MinGW-based Win32 build with the Qt GUI. We've done a boatload of code cleanup and cross-platform fixes for OSX so it might not be too hard to put this together.

From what I've tested on the OSX side all is looking good, everything runs full speed and accurate on my macmini 2.0ghz

thatmariolover

I'm trying to set up my build environment right now on OS X. Really not particularly familiar with this stuff, but I suppose practice will make perfect.

Eagerly awaiting a binary should it come along.

*Edit*
Finally got GTK2 installed, working on the other libraries now. Sorry, probably not like anybody really cares but I'm excited that this seems to be working. :happy:

*Edit 2*
Eh, I got it building but I get an error:

ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib

I tried googling it and found this:
http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2007/qa1567.html
However, I'm currently unsure of how to adapt it to my current situation.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I'm trying to set up my build environment right now on OS X. Really not particularly familiar with this stuff, but I suppose practice will make perfect.

Eagerly awaiting a binary should it come along.

FYI, this bugfix release (v1.4.1) will not build and run under MacOSX. Currently only the newer code in my SVN server will work for you. We do have a rough guide on our wiki for building and running the code in SVN under OSX:

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/MacOSXInstructions

thatmariolover

FYI, this bugfix release (v1.4.1) will not build and run under MacOSX. Currently only the newer code in my SVN server will work for you. We do have a rough guide on our wiki for building and running the code in SVN under OSX:

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/MacOSXInstructions

Yeah, I saw that earlier in the thread and grabbed the latest out of the trunk.

Thanks for the heads up, and the guide.

*Edit*
Followed the instructions, ended up with the same error. Thanks, though!

*Edit 2*
Ha, so now that I'm at work and reread the guide from Apple, it makes a bit more sense. Mostly I'm just unsure where I'm supposed to use the commands in the build intructions.

Perhaps:

make clean ; make all -dylib_file \
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:\
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib

?

Last edited:

thatmariolover

Eh, that did not work. My understanding is that I need to add this to the linker file:

-dylib_file \
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib:\
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGL.dylib

Totally unsure as to how to go about this. I'll stop posting here and will move my discussion to the OS X port thread.

Thanks.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Totally unsure as to how to go about this. I'll stop posting here and will move my discussion to the OS X port thread.

If you have an IRC client, you can head on over to #mupen64plus at irc.freenode.net; there are a bunch of Mac users who hang out there and should be able to help you.