What's new

Low FPS problem. Please help.

Shindler

It seems that my PC runs P64 slower than it should. I'm getting about 10-40fps on Perfect Dark (especially low when two or three enemies appear in big corridor), 15-25fps on Zelda - Ocarina of Time and etc. fps on most games are steady (low, about 20-25), but in shooters it depends on what happening on screen.
My PC is Core 2 Duo E6750, 2gb RAM, GeForce 8800GTX, X-Fi Gamer Edition. Other people on this website and other websites seems to have full speed of 60fps on much slower machines (or no?)
I used P64 1.7 with Glide64 Napalm and Jabo's Open GL plugin (both seems to be the same, although Jabo is faster). Other plugins doesn't even start, or work veeeeery slow.
Azimer's HLE Audio for sound (with high level audio) seems to be the best sound option and although other plugin doesn't work faster
Jabo's DirectInput for input.
don't know what RPS is.
Also strange is that CPU doesn't seems to be working hard of this. P64 process takes about 20-40% of it's power.

Can you please give any advice? Maybe I should use other driver or look for 1.6 versions of P64.

Others emulators work perfect, even Dreamcast one.

Last edited:

X-Fi6

Jabo never made a real OpenGL plugin. He made an experimental one in old PJ64 but that phase is long gone. There's no reason to use it.

Now you're right, you have terrible VI/s for your hardware. You're probably using Windows stock graphics drivers, or something like that. Go to www.nvidia.com, go to Driver Downloads, and update the graphics drivers.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
That is rather odd. I have a system similar to yours (yours is slightly better) and I get amazing performance.

A couple of things though.
1. I don't know if this was a typo (the 6 key is rather close to the 7 key), but you said you were using PJ1.7, anything related to it should be posted in the beta forum. Or if you stole it like I did (I didn't say that out loud), keep any complaints to yourself.
2. Many games (Zelda OOT especially) have internal framerate caps intended to consider the limitations of N64 hardware, and some are even dynamic depending on what's going on. If something like FRAPS continually tells you you're getting 30 or 20 FPS do not be alarmed.
3. Between the Glide64 plugin and the (abandoned) OpenGL plugin, I'd go with Glide. It's more functional and card like the NVidia 8800s can make goos use of it. Make sure you have the latest builds of Glide64.
4. Jabo's DirectInput is okay, but I always recommend N-Rage instead. Get the latest build in the plugins forum, it's quite improved from v1.73.

ThomasH

If you have a legal copy I would recommend downloading Jabo's newest graphics plugin. Its available on the PJ64 official homepage under beta downloads. Also get the newest binary of PJ64 it self as the older ones did some very odd things. May as well get the newest audio plugin as well as some computers had problems with elements of some of the older ones. There is also a file pack on a thread I made on the official beta forum that has a couple of none official files that sorted all sorts of problems. If you did not get PJ64 legal I would recommend you go to the official home page and download a legal copy, even if its just the complete and free 1.6 version. If you do use 1.6 You may wish to try the Glide64 plugin that you can download from the Glide64 website. Don't bother with any of the early versions of Glide64 just go strait for the latest pack that comes for a glide wrapper.

OP
S

Shindler

I installed latest nVidia drivers (from 177.41 to 178.13). Nothing changed.

I reinstalled 1.6 version of P64. I tried it earlier, but it seems to be buggier than 1.7. One major problem here is that it can't understand Glide64 driver. I install it, then start P64 and go to configuration. Error message appears saying that glide3x.dll couldn't be found.
Jabo drivers that came with P64 1.6 is really bad, games are running even slower. About 10-20 fps in Perfect Dark.

OP
S

Shindler

Oh. I figured that out.
Installed Glide64 Napalm. It seems to be slower than on P64 1.7. In Mario 64 when i touch his face in the beginning fps falls to 10-15, while elsewhere it's 20-30.
Strangely I got 2 fps counts right now.
One is in a game window on the down left corner (this one can be seen in full screen mode) and another is on P64 interface on down right corner. The one in the game allways shows lower fps than another. In fact, the second fps counter is allways at 60, but it's not real.

I hope i do not confuse you with my writing.