What's new

Need help with epsxe emulator

Chorismo

I'm trying to start playing Star Ocean: Second Story again and since my playstation with games are home at my parents place I thought I would try out a ps emulator.

Now I have though encountered some problems when I'm trying to play Star Ocean on epsxe emulator. It's insanely slow and by far not playable at all and I don't know how to fix it, have tried to look around for clues but haven't founda ny info.

My pc specs are:

Intel Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz
1024 MB DDR RAM
GeForce FX 5700 256 MB
XP Professional, 1152*864(32 Bit)(70Hz)
Directx 9.0c

I tried to run in window mode on 400x300 and it went abit smoother but still slow. I would really appreciate some help if anyone got some tips.

Thanks in advance!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
What plugins are you using? With those kind of specs, it should work just fine with the like of Pete's OGL2 plugin. I have a somewhat weaker system , and PSX games have never been too slow, even when playing at resolutions like 1280x1024 and full emulation of the PSX GPU stuff.

OP
C

Chorismo

Video: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.77
Sound: Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41
BIOS: Scph1001

Edit: Tried to download the latest version of Pete's OpenGL, version 2.9, But can't load ROM now, says no WGL extensions.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Then your video card drivers are corrupt or you are using the very basic drivers from Microsoft, because the GeForce 5700 should be quite capable and has the needed WGL extensions. What that basically means is that your card and its drivers fail to support OpenGL extensions needed for more complex graphics stuff and thanks to that, can't do any hardware accelerated OpenGL either. So the program falls back to software, which is slow (and Pete's OGL2 won't even work without proper OpenGL support from the video card; the older version still works, but again, falls back the the aforementioned software-only mode)

So, when was the lat time you updated your graphics card's drivers [Nvidia ForceWare]?

Last edited:
OP
C

Chorismo

Thanks alot Agozer, downloaded the latest drivers now and it works perfectly, was quite a few years since I updated them and now I can see an overall increase in performance in the PC =)

Thanks once again for the help, problem solved. :party: