What's new

Save state glitch with a game (Gimmick! / Mr. Gimmick)

Bippo Ernesti

That awkward guy
For some odd reason, when loading save states while playing Gimmick!, it instantly drops all health to zero, killing your character. I have tried this on Jnes 1.0 and the new 1.0.1, both did the same.

I tried other emulators and the save states worked on them.

I am not sure about this, but I think it somehow might be related to the fact that Gimmick! uses the FME-7 mapper. It adds a couple of extra sound channels (three square waves, to be exact) and as far as I know, Jnes doesn't yet have compatibility with FME-7.

I would say that the incompatibility would be related to the save stating issue, but I'm avoiding not to assume that, since I don't even know if Jnes is or is not compatible with it.

To my knowledge, there is only two games that use this chip, this one and Batman: Return of the Joker. Batman: Return of the Joker does not have the same problem with Jnes though, but I don't think it uses the extra sound channels either.

I think this is a good stopping point for my droning for now. If anybody's got answers, I'd appreciate it!

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
thats a japanese game, is it not? if so, Jnes doesn't work with all Jap games as Jabo made jnes with English releases more in mind.

Yes some j versions will work, but alot of them just don't properly.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
For some odd reason, when loading save states while playing Gimmick!, it instantly drops all health to zero, killing your character. I have tried this on Jnes 1.0 and the new 1.0.1, both did the same.

I tried other emulators and the save states worked on them.

I am not sure about this, but I think it somehow might be related to the fact that Gimmick! uses the FME-7 mapper. It adds a couple of extra sound channels (three square waves, to be exact) and as far as I know, Jnes doesn't yet have compatibility with FME-7.

I would say that the incompatibility would be related to the save stating issue, but I'm avoiding not to assume that, since I don't even know if Jnes is or is not compatible with it.

To my knowledge, there is only two games that use this chip, this one and Batman: Return of the Joker. Batman: Return of the Joker does not have the same problem with Jnes though, but I don't think it uses the extra sound channels either.

I think this is a good stopping point for my droning for now. If anybody's got answers, I'd appreciate it!

This is a weird bug I have to admit, easily reproducible as well which is always a good and bad thing :flowers:

Let me add it to my bug list and we'll see what happens, no work around at the moment unfortunately tho, at least it wasn't a regression from 1.0.1 it was also broken in 1.0 :plain:

http://jabosoft.com/index.php?articleid=25

Last edited:
OP
B

Bippo Ernesti

That awkward guy
thats a japanese game, is it not? if so, Jnes doesn't work with all Jap games as Jabo made jnes with English releases more in mind.

Yes some j versions will work, but alot of them just don't properly.

I tried it on the Japanese version (Gimmick!) as well as the European one (Mr. Gimmick), both of them had the problem. I even tried searching for an American release of it, but it turned out that it's only been released in JP and EU.