Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    looks amazing,
    any Idea when the final version will be ready?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We have not set ourselves a deadline or anything like that so it's done when it's done. All the characters have been completed yesterday so there are mainly the stages left to do:

Stages:
    Dream Land 100%
    Sector Z 100%
    Mushroom Kingdom 100%
    Yoshi's Island 100%
    Congo Jungle 100% (though a few textures are from _pm_'s pack)
    Saffron City 85% (only background left to do)
    Hyrule Castle 85% (only background left to do)
    Planet Zebes 85% (only background left to do)
    Peach's Castle 85% (only background left to do)

It shouldn't take too long but I can't guarantee anything

N64 Artist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Awesome.

Hey, are you guys getting slowdown with your hires pack w/ Rice with 4 players like Mollymutt and Datadayne report due to textures loading up in real time during play?
    Any activity becomes an art when the doer cares about doing it the best he can.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We have played with four players a few times without any problems if you meant that. A problem is though that we are getting slowdowns when a character is selected multiple times at once. With two Kirbys it's okay but with two Falcons it's not playable. I think there was a topic about this problem somewhere but I don't know if it contained a solution to this.

N64 Artist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yep, that's what I mean. Rice has a bug that causes certain textures to load again and again with every frame. There are two things that cause this.

1. A bug that causes textures with "half" of their file name being the same to be loaded on every frame. (I'd bet a million dollars that the different textures that are used for Falcons different colors have the same first or second half of their file name.)

2. Since Rice loads textures in real time during play this bug shows itself as slowdown. This is because the plugin is being forced to load up these textures again and again with every frame.

This can be solved/avoided by simply adding a texture caching option similar to Glide64. If we could select to cache the textures they would not have to be loaded in real time...ever...and hence no slowdown would occur.

This is a solution that completely avoids having to "fix" the bug. At the same time it would improve performance of the plugin for use as a playback plugin for any texture pack as any game would never stutter due to the loading up of hires textures for any game element in real time during play.

Though it would take a programmer to add this "Texture Caching Option" to Rice.

When I asked Mudlord if this could be done the day before he announced his work on Rice was dead...his answer was simply..."of coarse it can be done"

Any programmers out there that would like to try adding this feature?

My full proposal on this can be found in post #17

here: Research thread for slowdown fix, "Trouble Textures" = CRC dupes ?
    Last edited by gitech; August 21st, 2008 at 18:10.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by gitech View Post
    (I'd bet a million dollars that the different textures that are used for Falcons different colors have the same first or second half of their file name.)
    And congratulations - you would just have won a million dollars

And yeah, it would be really great if anyone could give it a try!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't post for a while but I have been working on the pack all the time
    Had a bit less time then usual because I moved and had to get a lot of things done

Just like Bad Randolph said, almost all the characters are done and the maps
    are nearly finsihed, too. But maps take some time, especially the backgrounds.

ppmeis asked for some 1080p screens. I tried to make some in full HD but in fullscreen
    the aspect ratio gets distorted in width, at least with rice's plugin which I am using.
    There is a glide64 for widescreens, don't know if its different in displaying the game
    at 1080 fullscreen. While playing I never find it annoying but I decided to make some
    screens in windowed mode with the right aspect ratio but with a high resolution as well.
    Here they are

The compare website, which you can look at here
    http://pietschie.lima-city.de/emutalk/compare.html
    will be updated soon. I'll post some high resolution pics to compare

More screens of the new Peachs Castle and Planet Zebes are coming soon as well

Screenshots:

Last edited by Pietschie; August 22nd, 2008 at 21:27.

N64 Artist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My TV is smiling! I think yours and my work toward optimization for new generation PC's and large HD monitors could be the start of a paradyme shift in the hires community. Is this the beginning of a "Next Gen" of N64 HD?

Edit: Thinking about it...many of the Hi-res packs done by artist here look great too on the large screen!
    Last edited by gitech; August 22nd, 2008 at 22:42.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pietschie View Post
    But maps take some time, especially the backgrounds.
    HighResEaser might help you out there.

Great Texture Pack btw.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wow. This is going to set a new standard for texture packs. The attention to detail is quite unparalleled. I love the way you've done Link's sheath for instance.

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast