What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.
  • As members seem to have a problem reading the release threads:

Djipi's packs are built for the (Glide64 finale) Plugin. Nolonger supported!
    Djipi's packs are built for the (GlideN64) Plugin.
    These two Plugins are two completely different pieces of code.

GlideN64.HTC archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on Glide64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Glide64.DAT archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on GlideN64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Djipi has never made a pack for use with Rice video and never will. any packs found in this format are not authorized!

GlideN64 is the new standard and only requires an Radeon 6XXX.
    This is a somewhat older GPU and should be readily available.
    Do everyone a favor and upgrade!

Pietschie & Bad Randolphs Super Smash Bros. HD

We have not set ourselves a deadline or anything like that so it's done when it's done. All the characters have been completed yesterday so there are mainly the stages left to do:

Stages:
Dream Land 100%
Sector Z 100%
Mushroom Kingdom 100%
Yoshi's Island 100%
Congo Jungle 100% (though a few textures are from _pm_'s pack)
Saffron City 85% (only background left to do)
Hyrule Castle 85% (only background left to do)
Planet Zebes 85% (only background left to do)
Peach's Castle 85% (only background left to do)

It shouldn't take too long but I can't guarantee anything ;)

gitech

N64 Artist
Awesome.

Hey, are you guys getting slowdown with your hires pack w/ Rice with 4 players like Mollymutt and Datadayne report due to textures loading up in real time during play?

We have played with four players a few times without any problems if you meant that. A problem is though that we are getting slowdowns when a character is selected multiple times at once. With two Kirbys it's okay but with two Falcons it's not playable. I think there was a topic about this problem somewhere but I don't know if it contained a solution to this.

gitech

N64 Artist
Yep, that's what I mean. Rice has a bug that causes certain textures to load again and again with every frame. There are two things that cause this.

1. A bug that causes textures with "half" of their file name being the same to be loaded on every frame. (I'd bet a million dollars that the different textures that are used for Falcons different colors have the same first or second half of their file name.)

2. Since Rice loads textures in real time during play this bug shows itself as slowdown. This is because the plugin is being forced to load up these textures again and again with every frame.

This can be solved/avoided by simply adding a texture caching option similar to Glide64. If we could select to cache the textures they would not have to be loaded in real time...ever...and hence no slowdown would occur.

This is a solution that completely avoids having to "fix" the bug. At the same time it would improve performance of the plugin for use as a playback plugin for any texture pack as any game would never stutter due to the loading up of hires textures for any game element in real time during play.

Though it would take a programmer to add this "Texture Caching Option" to Rice.

When I asked Mudlord if this could be done the day before he announced his work on Rice was dead...his answer was simply..."of coarse it can be done"

Any programmers out there that would like to try adding this feature?

My full proposal on this can be found in post #17

here: Research thread for slowdown fix, "Trouble Textures" = CRC dupes ?

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the info.
(I'd bet a million dollars that the different textures that are used for Falcons different colors have the same first or second half of their file name.)
And congratulations - you would just have won a million dollars ;)

And yeah, it would be really great if anyone could give it a try!

OP
Pietschie

Pietschie

I didn't post for a while but I have been working on the pack all the time :)
Had a bit less time then usual because I moved and had to get a lot of things done

Just like Bad Randolph said, almost all the characters are done and the maps
are nearly finsihed, too. But maps take some time, especially the backgrounds.

ppmeis asked for some 1080p screens. I tried to make some in full HD but in fullscreen
the aspect ratio gets distorted in width, at least with rice's plugin which I am using.
There is a glide64 for widescreens, don't know if its different in displaying the game
at 1080 fullscreen. While playing I never find it annoying but I decided to make some
screens in windowed mode with the right aspect ratio but with a high resolution as well.
Here they are :)

The compare website, which you can look at here
http://pietschie.lima-city.de/emutalk/compare.html
will be updated soon. I'll post some high resolution pics to compare :)

More screens of the new Peachs Castle and Planet Zebes are coming soon as well

Screenshots:

smashbrothers38tz0.jpg

smashbrothers40ay5.jpg

smashbrothers45ck7.jpg

smashbrothers48lv9.jpg

smashbrothers60lr7.jpg

smashbrothers61at3.jpg

smashbrothers62dv7.jpg

smashbrothers66dg7.jpg

smashbrothers85bv7.jpg

smashbrothers86gj1.jpg

smashbrothers87jz0.jpg

smashbrothers94mo1.jpg

smashbrothers95ec2.jpg

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
My TV is smiling! :) I think yours and my work toward optimization for new generation PC's and large HD monitors could be the start of a paradyme shift in the hires community. Is this the beginning of a "Next Gen" of N64 HD? ;) :)

Edit: Thinking about it...many of the Hi-res packs done by artist here look great too on the large screen! ;)

Last edited:

cerebus5

wow. This is going to set a new standard for texture packs. The attention to detail is quite unparalleled. I love the way you've done Link's sheath for instance.

OP
Pietschie

Pietschie

My TV is smiling! :) I think yours and my work toward optimization for new generation PC's and large HD monitors could be the start of a paradyme shift in the hires community. Is this the beginning of a "Next Gen" of N64 HD? ;) :)

I'm pretty sure the emulation of N64 and the community its connected with will live on for a long time :)
And beeing able to play the games with texture packs giving them much more details on a HD TV in a much
higher resolution raises the longtime playability even more :)

I think the N64 is the ideal system for those improvements because the games polygons and textures
aren't too much. Even if it takes some time, doing a complete texture pack for a game is quite manageable.
I couldn't think of another system where this could work as good. Newer 3D game systems are getting to complex.

HighResEaser might help you out there.

yes, thanks its does help. But what I meant is drawing the backgrounds takes some time :)

cerebus5

Not to mention that there are still PLENTY of outstanding games still untouched by the retexture community. Let's see what springs immediately to mind as a personal wishlist:

Perfect Dark
Goldeneye
Jet Force Gemini
Blast Corps
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Pilotwings
1080 Snowboarding
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Excitebike 64
Harvest Moon 64

There you go - plenty of scope for further work.

ppmeis

I think I have got no problems with aspect ratio with mp_texture pack. But I2m not sure, ia have configured it into 1080i (1920x1080 @ 30fps) and works fine for me.

2 weeks for the release...maybe...lol. Great job boys!!!!! :party:

Elite Knight

Nintedo Fan Mad
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf

Those would be good to edit perfect dark is a good try and golden eye but mario tennis and golf has alot of video issues.

Turko

Hi there, since march of this year i've seen the work of this community and always i get surprised!, i've never require an account until now.

i've a question ^^

this is for glidehq plugin or rice plugin?

OP
Pietschie

Pietschie

this is for glidehq plugin or rice plugin?

It also works with gilde64 plugin of course.
But at the moment it works better with rice plugin. I have used the glide64 napalm release with our
pack but some textures are fitted wrong in place and furthermore I noticed that it doesn't
(fully) support half transparancy in pngs wich I use in some of my textures.

But despite from that it works quite well in glide64, too. Something which I like more here
is that it uses memory cache for the textures. With rice video plugin I'm experiencing massive
problems in the planet zebes stage with highres textures on because there are many textures
changing from frame to frame (lights switching on and off, lava glows ..and so on)
Rice is slowing down here because everytime something changes it loads the
texture new again.