Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The "I want to Code an Emulator" Suggestion thread

This has become a VERY Frequently Asked question therefore this new shiney Sticky thread is appearing. Suggestions other than asking how to start (which the thread is about) are welcome, I will remove anything that doesn't relate to the topic or is asking what to do (since the entire topic is what to do) to start programming an emulator.

Some tips:
    1. Have a programming language you are familiar with, it doesn't matter if it's C, C++, C#, or even Visual Basic (scarey that is). It just has to be something you are familiar with.
    2. Learn to program. Yes you must know how to program in order to make an emulator because an emulator is a program.
    3. Do something SIMPLE to start out. I don't suggest trying to make a WII emulator because .. you'll be looking a LONG time for information on that. There is a LIST of simple console emulation developement threads at the top of the programming forum for this very reason. here are a few GameBoy, Chip8, NES (Nintendo Entertainment System), SMS (Sega Master System), PC-Engine, Space Invaders, and there likely will be more. Pick the SIMPLEST first (Chip8 for example) because you will be very confused at first otherwise.
    4. Get TOOLS, don't sit there and say "WHAT do I get to make a program?" Yes there are tools available free on the net LOOK AT THIS thread to find some links (please let me know of dead links).
    5. ROM images et al. DO NOT ask for ROM images, you should be able to find these without asking where to get them. Find some demo ROM images to test your emulator I will add a post to this thread for that.
    Most of all HAVE FUN, if it's not fun .. I suppose do something else?

Cyb
    Progress (n.):
    The process through which the Internet has evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recursive (adj):
    see Recursive

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Demo ROM links for platforms

This post is for Demo ROM links, as of Right now I have none however I am sure I'll be bombarded with suggestions for them soon enough.

NES:

PC-Engine:

Game Boy:

Chip-8:

Sega Master System:

Nintendo-64:

Cyb
    Progress (n.):
    The process through which the Internet has evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recursive (adj):
    see Recursive

Emulator Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Since you mentioned what a "simple" emulator is, I thought maybe this would be useful (or maybe not, who knows)

Exophase's tiers of console emulator difficulty (I haven't done most of these so they're just rough ideas based on what I know about the hardware, take them with a grain of salt)

simple: Gameboy/Color, SMS/GameGear
    moderate: NES, PC-Engine, Lynx, NeoGeo, Wonderswan/Color, NeoGeoPocket/Color
    slightly complex: Genesis, N64 w/HLE, Virtual Boy, GBA
    complex: SNES, PS1, Dreamcast, Jaguar, 3DO, N64 w/o HLE
    highly complex: Saturn, PS2

This is all relative though, doing anything beyond "very simple" will give a lot of headaches for all but the most experienced emu coders.

These are the basic criteria I used:
    - Complexity of CPU (6502 in NES is relatively simple, as is MIPS, ARM7 and x86 are relatively complex), having multiple CPUs drives up the complexity a lot
    - Complexity of audio (SMS's PSGs are very simple, GB/NES are more complex, Genesis, SNES, and PS1 are much more complex)
    - Complexity of video, including things like different modes, layers, tile formats, sprite storage, scrolling features, priority, affine transformations, blending, 3D, etc
    - Complexity of cartridge hardware if available - mappers (many have almost none, GB has a few, NES has a ton), backup storage, extra hardware/special chips (SNES especially)

What wasn't considered, but can be even bigger factors in practice:

- Performance requirements - it's much more difficult to write a very optimized emulator than a straightforward implementation, and with recompilers the sky is the limit on what you can do with them. What the requirements are will depend on how powerful the platform is, how complex it is, and what you intend to run it on.
    - Compatibility requirements - writing a very compatible emulator is also much more difficult, and getting the last few percent of games to work can be especially challenging. This can also impact performance requirements.
    - Amount of documentation available - the more you have to look, the hardware it will be to get it right. If there's no documentation then you have to either try things on intuition based on what the game does or run tests on the console itself which can range from tedious to extremely challenging and time consuming (assuming you have the hardware and a way to run code on it)
    - Test ROMS - the more that are out there the easier it'll be to debug your emulator. Actually, debugging is the hardest/most time consuming part of any emulator, so this can make a dramatic difference. If there are no test ROMs you might want to consider writing one, then sharing it with everyone else (this rarely happens unfortunately)
    - Other emulators - Although this is kind of cheating, if you can compare with other emulators by using their debuggers you can fix a lot of problems. If you're doing an emulator for reasons beyond just getting the experience (like, doing one that's much faster than any other out there) then don't hesitate to do this, or look at their source code for ideas.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I wouldn't put Neogeo in moderate category if I were you. YM2610 is very hard to emulate. And M68K take loads of time to implement.

stay safe,

AamirM

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PS3, XBOX360 in the impossible category ?

Emulator Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamirM View Post
    Hi,

I wouldn't put Neogeo in moderate category if I were you. YM2610 is very hard to emulate. And M68K take loads of time to implement.

stay safe,

AamirM
    Okay, let's say under moderate with YM2610 not emulated, since most games don't use it or at least not extensively. Basically compare with the level of emulation NeoDS achieves. Even then if you compare with Genesis there's a pretty big difference in video complexity and quantity/diversity of games.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright, so I have a totally n00b question, and I really hope I don't get laughed off the forum with my first post, lol!

But I am really interesting in making a career move into programming, and I've always loved emulators, so I figured I would like to go to college to study programming to program my own emulators, and in doing so, I would learn a valuable skill for advancing my career...

Now, I know NOTHING about programming, here's where the laughter comes in, I can hear it now....lol

So lets say I was some wacko with no life whatsoever, lol, is it possible to take apart something, say, a PS one and knowing assembly, be able to figure out how parts work without having the proper documentation, or do you ABSOLUTELY 100% NEED the documentation?

I know this sounds crazy coming from someone who doesn't know the first thing about C#, but it's kind of been a dream of mine to write an emulator that some would find almost impossible to emulate because of the lack of documentation on the processors and such...
    Last edited by HardwareSlayer; July 23rd, 2008 at 09:12. Reason: puncuation correction

Emulator Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareSlayer View Post
    So lets say I was some wacko with no life whatsoever, lol, is it possible to take apart something, say, a PS one and knowing assembly, be able to figure out how parts work without having the proper documentation
    No.

, or do you ABSOLUTELY 100% NEED the documentation?
    If you don't have some kind of documentation then you won't get anywhere, but if you can program for the machine then you can figure out a lot by doing software tests. This is very difficult though.

I know this sounds crazy coming from someone who doesn't know the first thing about C#, but it's kind of been a dream of mine to write an emulator that some would find almost impossible to emulate because of the lack of documentation on the processors and such...
    The documentation is out there. Game consoles tend to use variations of publicly available CPUs that have documentation available, so offer a good place to start for reverse engineering them. But the reality is that information about consoles tends to be known because someone leaked official documents and/or SDKs, then someone verified the information on a console, and from reverse engineering games.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey thanks for the reply Exophase, the reason I ask is because I'm not sure if some smaller things like the Super FX or Super FX 2 Chips have been perfectly emulated for the Super Nintendo yet. I haven't followed up recently on them though, so maybe they have been...although by the time I actually know what I'm doing, someone will have beaten me to it, ha! Thanks again.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the information, I do have a quick question:

Do you need to actually have the system you intend to emulate, in order to program an emulator of that system?

Are documents really the only thing that is needed or is there more to it than that?

I'm considering an emulation project in the future, however the only obstacle in my way is learning how to actually code.

Any decent tutorials that can help simplify the C++ or coding learning process?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast