Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nope, you don't need the original console, just good documentation about the functions of the platform you want to emulate. In fact, there was never a real CHIP-8 machine - CHIP-8 was just a specification for CHIP-8 emulators. Though, in cases where there is little documentation available, having the original hardware can be helpful if you need to do some reverse engineering.

A lowdown dirty shame blueshogun96's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question

Just wondering, are there any dynarec tutorials for those who have written an emulator, but don't know how? I'm not asking for my sake, but for everyone elses. If none exist, then I'll happily write one in my spare time explaining one I'm writing now (if anyone wants it that is).
    This is me and my PC everyday

Need a good tutorial on emu programming? Click here. (Link Updated)
    Dynarec article
    Misc emu programming tidbits

Emulator Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    schibo wrote a good one years ago but I haven't seen it in a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd certainly read it if you did.

(You can never have too many emulation tutorials.)

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    I'd certainly read it if you did.

(You can never have too many emulation tutorials.)
    Agreed. I'd love to read it.

Edit:

On a side note does anyone have any documentation on emulation with threaded interpretation?
    Last edited by CodeSlinger; August 4th, 2008 at 11:51.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
    schibo wrote a good one years ago but I haven't seen it in a long time.
    I found it on an old pc a few weeks ago, I can upload it somewhere if some wants to check it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeSlinger View Post
    Agreed. I'd love to read it.

Edit:

On a side note does anyone have any documentation on emulation with threaded interpretation?
    Dynamic Rec requires a bit of memory management you should look at TR64 source for some clues there

Threaded interpretation? Hmmm do you mean running the interpreter for the system in one thread and the GPU in the primary thread of the application? The biggest issue you have is syncing the two separate threads.

Right now I'm playing with a C51 processor interpreter in one thread and using the main thread to handle physical hardware (LCD emulation basically) it's interfaced with. Syncing the Read and Writes is done via separate functions that actually perform the writes and using the sync call in windoze. It isn't beautiful but that's just the interpreter not quite done with that yet.

Anyhow using the built in semaphor handling in windows is thread safe although I am not sure how FAST it is.

Cyb
    Progress (n.):
    The process through which the Internet has evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recursive (adj):
    see Recursive

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    synch: Yeah if you could upload it that'd be great as I havent been able to find it anywhere.

Cyberman: From what I understand threaded emulation is similar to dynarec with how it translates basic blocks and caches them for later use. As far as I understand dynarec translates the basic block to code where as threaded interpretation translates the cache to function pointers to emulate each instruction. This is pretty much exactly how a normal interpreter emulator works but without the constant decoding of the next instruction. Apparently though it gives a decent speed improvement because most of the time consumed by a normal interpreter is spent checking what the state of the flags should be. But with a threaded interpreter it can deduce which flags need to checked and which dont because the next instruction in the block my overwrite some of the flags without testing them, so there was no need checking and setting the flag in the previous instruction.

Id imagine that threaded interpretation is slower than dynarec but faster than a normal interpreter. However it would be much easier to debug and maintain than dynarec. I've got source code of an emulator that uses threaded interpretation so I'll give it a look over to see how worth while it is to implement http://www.squish.net/generator/description.html
    Last edited by CodeSlinger; August 5th, 2008 at 09:37.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Progress (n.):
    The process through which the Internet has evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart terminals.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recursive (adj):
    see Recursive

Emulator Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You spam ******* bot, stay out of our emu coding threads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast