What's new

help with pj64!!!

mem819

hello when i downloaded a zelda oot rom, i played it on pj64. i wanted to do cheats so i went to cheats and only a little taskbar with an x and a minimize sign came up. not even the cheat window. so i uninstalled pj and reinstalled it. then the cheats worked but after about 20 minutes it said there was an error and it stopped the emulation. so then i patched the rom and now when i try to play it, it says there was some kind of permanent loop that cannot be exited. and it says to verify rom setings.
please help me and tell me what the problem is. i want it so that i can play with cheats!!!:unsure:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Cheats are known to cause problems, only activate them, if you really need them, don't let them activated the whole time and the most important stuff: Never, really never ever patch a rom, because it will destroy the whole rom settings and the emulators are created with good dumps in mind.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The only reason one would ever patch a ROM is when applying e.g. a translation patch (case in point: Wonder Project J2). Yes, cheats can mess up your game for good, forcing you to start from scratch.

OP
M

mem819

well yes but i have tried other games and those cheats don't work either. can using the cheats for too long ruin my pj64?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Enabling/Disabling cheats can be done when the game is running by either pressing CTRL+C or through Options --> Cheats...

If that doesn't work for you, I'm out of advice.

Slashment

Using cheats for roms may cause some files to get corrupted, and may delete the rom setting.

Trust me, I used cheats for multiple games, crashed my desktop at one point, I been studying with Roms/ISO's/emulators for quite some time.

There is really no point of using cheats, unless you really need them, for example, to beat A level that you cannot beat.

Last edited: