What's new

Mupen64Plus v1.4 is now here!

Felipe

Brazilian Translator
One hint: i noticed that the win32 version of plus doesnt have the version number added in the main site http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/ this is dangerous because i downloaded it thinking it was 1.4 but it wasnt. :| please, rename it to avoid to download a wrong version. Thank you ;)

GE Master

Just a thought. You announce the new version, yet nowhere do you even mentioni t's Linux only. I personally wouldn't assume that people coming into the forums know that you're releases are Linux only. Most people would assume the opposite.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Just a thought. You announce the new version, yet nowhere do you even mentioni t's Linux only. I personally wouldn't assume that people coming into the forums know that you're releases are Linux only. Most people would assume the opposite.

Mupen64Plus is a plugin-based N64 emulator for Linux which is capable of accurately playing many games. Included are four MIPS R4300 CPU emulators, ...

Please do not assume otherwise until stated.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I did the origina Win-port, but i haven't seen enough time to get working on a new one... But anyways, We focus on Linux support as of now. It should be quite obvious seeing has Windows has been the only place for decent native N64 emulation for a while, aside from SixtyForce on OS X. Mupen64Plus will likely focus on Linux and OS X before Windows even if a full port arrives because most things will work better on Project64 right now, especially on Windows because we must make a few "hacks" for regular plug ins to operate properly.

So there you go... If you're interested in the bleeding edge features like Net play and stuff well I'm not so sure what to tell you. I guess you could look into Linux but it has a lot of gotchas for incoming Windows users and it can be quite discouraging or annoy the living hell out of you (Or, if your lucky nothing will go wrong :p But normally at least one thing goes wrong whether its hardware support or software installation... normally some hardware like a less popular scanner is not supported... Xbox 360 wireless controllers also require a special driver though it isn't all that hard or complex to install.)

X-Fi6

I did the origina Win-port, but i haven't seen enough time to get working on a new one... But anyways, We focus on Linux support as of now. It should be quite obvious seeing has Windows has been the only place for decent native N64 emulation for a while, aside from SixtyForce on OS X. Mupen64Plus will likely focus on Linux and OS X before Windows even if a full port arrives because most things will work better on Project64 right now, especially on Windows because we must make a few "hacks" for regular plug ins to operate properly.

So there you go... If you're interested in the bleeding edge features like Net play and stuff well I'm not so sure what to tell you. I guess you could look into Linux but it has a lot of gotchas for incoming Windows users and it can be quite discouraging or annoy the living hell out of you (Or, if your lucky nothing will go wrong :p But normally at least one thing goes wrong whether its hardware support or software installation... normally some hardware like a less popular scanner is not supported... Xbox 360 wireless controllers also require a special driver though it isn't all that hard or complex to install.)
Exactly

Although Mupen64 is targeted at a large variety of systems, Windows already has way too much, like Project64. Project64 is already a great emulator for Windows and is very fast and stable, and works with a large variety of systems.

So let's focus on what we NEED to do first. Linux. And while we're working on it mainly on Linux, we'll get some support to help us make a nice port for OS X. And finally when we have the time, Windows.

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Well the first plan of action for any port is to separate the core from GUI. This can be done by anyone willing to step up. If your interested please drop by IRC.

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
As I continually argue on IRC, there are tons of other issues to address before even thinking about the GUI. We have a GUI=NONE build. The first task in porting is for someone to get that to compile in MSVC and generate project files. Heck the first task is for someone to try to get that to build in MSVC and write down exactly where the porting issues are.

There is no reason to start thinking about a Win32 GUI until the core compiles on MSVC, period.

I actually reversed my decision that a windows port should be a priority after having a few rounds of debate on IRC. Basically I had thought the end result would be an influx of win32 devs and bug reports, but instead realize that after a lot of hard work we'd likely get only a few windows users complaining its not as good as Project64.

The current direction is to just make the emulator better, fix bugs, add more features like netplay, 7zip support, etc. Hopefully, after awhile the Win32 devs will come to us.

mafiosnik

good work guys, mupen64plus kicks ass! i appreciate your goal to give the linux-community a high quality n64 emulator! maybe u even can beat pj64. :) incredible work so far, looking forward to seeing more.

i was more than happy seeing conkers bfd running on my hdtv at fullspeed, nearly without problems, except some slowdows when entering new areas. ( using glide64 wonder plus as gpu plugin )

i would like to report some problems i discovered playing zelda though.

1. both, zelda oot and zelda mm run at average speed of 80%. title, menus, ingame.
2. mupen doesnt show the good names properly. well, loolk at the screenshot i h've just uploaded.
3. games using the expansion pack don't work, the expasion pack can't be found.

for now i didnt play any other games. gonna report more bugs as far as i have time for playing around with mupen64plus again. :) this weekend, i suppose.

now a little suggestion... maybe there should be an option in the gui to allow users configure mupen64plus to run directly in fullscreen. i know there is a command line option "--fullscreen" for this purpose but many guys (just think of ubuntu and many of its new users using linux like windows) have no knowledge how to use a shell.

and yes, completely forgotten to mention the version i was using. it was the official release, Mupen64Plus v1.4.

gonna build the svn-version this weekend (hopefully), pretty excited already. :)

cya

Last edited:

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
1. both, zelda oot and zelda mm run at average speed of 80%. title, menus, ingame.
2. mupen doesnt show the good names properly. well, loolk at the screenshot i h've just uploaded.
3. games using the expansion pack don't work, the expasion pack can't be found.

1. That all depends on your CPU, Core type, Plugin settings (I get full speed on all plugins, so I don't know)
2. That is not as much of an issue anymore with the RCS.
3. Goto Options, and uncheck Disable Expansion Pack

mafiosnik

1. That all depends on your CPU, Core type, Plugin settings (I get full speed on all plugins, so I don't know)
2. That is not as much of an issue anymore with the RCS.
3. Goto Options, and uncheck Disable Expansion Pack

1. well, other games run at fullspeed. my machine is quite powerfull, that's not the problem. :) my cpu is "Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz", running at 3.4Ghz.
2. ok!
3. im so blind, sorry for annoying. :)

Last edited:

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
now a little suggestion... maybe there should be an option in the gui to allow users configure mupen64plus to run directly in fullscreen. i know there is a command line option "--fullscreen" for this purpose but many guys (just think of ubuntu and many of its new users using linux like windows) have no knowledge how to use a shell.
That's a good suggestion. I'll add that option.

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I hope this means Eben is back. We can really use your help fixing up the input issues. :)

As far as the slowdown, what is your GPU? Do you have compiz enabled? Yes, sorry if these seem like stupid questions.

Can you goto the console and run top while mupen is running? If mupen / Xorg combined are using 90%+ of the CPU then it is a real slowdown. Even so, did you try adjusting the Glide plugin config options such as disabling Fog and trying the Zelda Corona fix?

mafiosnik

I hope this means Eben is back. We can really use your help fixing up the input issues. :)

As far as the slowdown, what is your GPU? Do you have compiz enabled? Yes, sorry if these seem like stupid questions.

Can you goto the console and run top while mupen is running? If mupen / Xorg combined are using 90%+ of the CPU then it is a real slowdown. Even so, did you try adjusting the Glide plugin config options such as disabling Fog and trying the Zelda Corona fix?

1. i dont use such eye-candy stuff hence no compiz here. the options "Composite" and "RenderAccel" are enabled in my xorg.conf though.

2. my GPU is "NVIDIA Corporation - GeForce 7950 GT/PCI", should be enough, i think. ;) and yes, 90% and even 100% cpu usage (only muppen thoug!), xorg is just fine. btw. tried both zeldas also, cpu is at 20/30% average.

3. yes, i did. the glide plugin doesn't provide an option like "disable fog" or similiar. and nope, the corona fix didn't help.

i discovered a bug, i think. when loading a savestate (reproduceable, fullscreen only. window mode is ok.) mupen crashes sometimes. after crashing, the mouse doesnt react, even killing muppen didn't help. but i discovered how to get the mouse working againg without the need restarting x. just start a game and quit again. mouse should work then.

btw. i looked at /dev/input/*mymouse* after the crash, the dev-node was still present ;)

notice: first i tried with banjo, didnt work. then with CBFD (caused the crash), that did it. please don't forget to go fullscreen again. otherwise this little trick has no effect.

if u need help in debugging, i could do that with gdb.

Last edited:

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
First off in Glide's config in the Rendering frame is a Fog enabled box (which is usually greyed out), you must first disable custom ini settings in the Other frame at the bottom left. However, since you have a decent Nvidia card I seriously doubt this is the issue.

Distro / video driver / SDL version / are you 64-bit / anything else? I tried to replicate the bug and wasn't able to on 32-bit Debian. The issue itself is the crashing when loading a savestate.

Also, please try the latest svn. There was actually one change I can think of which might directly address crashing in fullscreen and numerous minor bugfixes which might.

If you still get the crash, any info. gained from gdb. etc. would be very helpful. You might want to go on the #mupen64plus IRC channel on freenode later since a number of devs are usually on and can help.

Btw, Eben has already added an always start in fullscreen GUI option to svn.

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Also, please post the .st0 savestate that's causing the crash. It will help us debug. It will be in ~/.mupen64plus/save/

mafiosnik

hello.

sorry for not answering for so long time ... had no free time so far. this weekend im gonna do this and check out the svn-source. ;)

cya