What's new

BMD plugin for 3D studio max. Imports bones, skinning, animations and vertex colors.

Mega Mario DX

Hi.

When I ran the importer, I got this error:

helpme.png

I'm using 3D Studio Max 9. Clicking Ok loads the MaxScript editor.

Any help would be grateful. :)

OP
C

Coder

It looks like I accidently removed the notes about this from the readme file. Place BmdView.exe in a path without any spaces like "c://BmdView.exe" (also update the path in the code if using a path different to "C://"). Open the MaxBMD.ms file and search for the line below. Then remove the "--" characters.

-- bmd.SetBmdViewExePath "C:\\" -- if Max version before 2008 and the path contains spaces the path will have to be manually updated

Also remove the line below from MaxBMD.ms
bmd.SetBmdViewExePath (getDir #maxroot)

Then rerun the script.

Mega Mario DX

I got it working. Thanks.

EDIT: I got Daisy's Model from MKDD up. It's not loading the animations, for some reason one or the other. The animations are .bca and .btp .

So it wouldn't import Daisy's Push-the-kart animation for her model before the "GO!" is displayed on the screen? I mean, if you've played MKDD, before the start of the race, you have to push your kart.

Last edited:
OP
C

Coder

I originally set this up for zelda TP and I only import bck animations. I might generate animated gif images from the btp files some day.
In zelda the file structure looks something like this:
root/bmdv/model.bmd
root/bck/demo.bck

If you have any bck animations (might be able to rename .bca to .bck) you could try placing them in a new folder called "bck" in the parent folder (it searches for ../bck/*.bck). I should probably change this to include the current directory in the search.

Mega Mario DX

Sorry to bump, but loading Rosalina from Mario Galaxy on Vista results in error. I have the trial version of 3ds Max 9/2008 on both, and it doesn't like my trial license on my XP Install, as it deleted the license itself. (No, I'm not asking for a license - that would be breaking EmuTalk's rules, and I don't want to do that)

So yeah, there goes that idea. If anyone can rip me Rosalina from Mario Galaxy and her animations and send me a screenie via this importer, I'll be impressed.

Spartan000

Hey Coder, I have a problem importing the textures of a model from Twilight Princess. More specifically, when I try and import the model demo18_dlink_cut00_gp_1.bmd (located in the Demo18_00.arc file), it gives me the error message "-- Unable to convert: undefined to type: String"

The program stops the code at the line that says
local fileName = _texturePath + _texturePrefix + text.stringtable[v2] + ".tga"

I notice alittle above that it says that that part of the code is hacky so you might have been planning to fix that, just wanted to let you know of a bug

Note: The error message comes up even if I uncheck export textures or save animations

mariokart64n

out of curiosity, does this support pretty much any and all official nintendo title released on Gamecube?

eample Mario *[place random name here]* mario sunshine, mario party, mario spike, mario tenis, mario kartdd, mario ... you get the idea

Mariowario130

Its only for the first party nintendo games that use the same engine.
such as Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Zelda Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Double Dash.

I doubt the second/third party mario games use the same engine.
Mario Party, Mario Tennis, etc.

OP
C

Coder

This version should set the correct material textures

MaxBMD v0.9

Last edited:

Fluesopp

And by that you mean?
Is the BMD Viewer.exe fixed?

I just got a new computer, so I will test it when I get it up and running! :)

Fluesopp

Ah..
Did I ask if you were using a XP or Vista installation before? It might have something to do with that. Because it's still not working.
I'm running it on a Windows Vista x86 version.
I will also try it on a XP installation later on to see if it might be a problem there too.

OP
C

Coder

This version contains a minor fix for incorrectly mirrored textures. I'm also using Windows Vista. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get BmdView.exe working properly. Everything else appears to be ok now so I might post it up on facepunchstudios.com as Decoder for others to use.

MaxBMD 1.0

antidote

can someone upload this as an attachment because I'm in job corps and almost all upload sites are blocked and i don't want to use a proxy site (Notice of Caution is not fun D: stupid 5 dollar fines)