Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by microdev View Post
    Now you start your game with the marked textures. Do you see your background/skybox/logo with the ids at the textures?
    Hmm, I dont know if im doing anything wrong, but it seems that the script is not marking the textures correctly. The numbers do not center itself, and it gets hard to make out the number.

Heres a pic

Hmm, this also seems to be a problem if you are working with small textures. The smaller the texture, the smaller your text/number will be.
    example: say I have multiple textures that make up a background. The textures are each 2x9 pixels. When you run the script, the text/number will hardly be visible because of the resolution of the texture. To solve the problem, your script must first change the dimensions of the textures to a workable size (4x or 8x the normal size).

But so far this is great. Its very useful for me, and a lot of us. Thanks for all your hard work microdev
    Contact
    MSN: [email protected]

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollymutt View Post
    No, what I was talking about was, when you dump textures for any area you are doing, you may need to number them to see where each individual texture goes. If you could whip something up to do that, it would save a ton of time for all of us.
    This functionality is already included. Select option 1 and simply select the folder with the textures you want to mark. For the script it doesn't matter if the textures are a background or any other texture.

I was just thinking that after you marked your textures (any texture) in a scene of a game, you might be interested to modify specific textures (e.g. all textures of a character). To do so, you have to identify these textures in the texture folder and load them into Photoshop for treatment.

This might be eased if you would just have to enter the ids of the - for this example - textures of the specific character and the script automatically loads the corresponding textures into Photoshop for treatment.

This behavior already exists for tiled textures. But there the textures are loaded into one Photoshop document as layers. For modifying specific textures - how I got it - you have to have each texture in a separate Photoshop document instead of loading all textures as layers into one document.

This is a functionality I could add. But I might be wrong as I'm no retexturer but just a coder.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datadayne View Post
    Hmm, I dont know if im doing anything wrong, but it seems that the script is not marking the textures correctly. The numbers do not center itself, and it gets hard to make out the number.

Hmm, this also seems to be a problem if you are working with small textures. The smaller the texture, the smaller your text/number will be.
    example: say I have multiple textures that make up a background. The textures are each 2x9 pixels. When you run the script, the text/number will hardly be visible because of the resolution of the texture. To solve the problem, your script must first change the dimensions of the textures to a workable size (4x or 8x the normal size).

But so far this is great. Its very useful for me, and a lot of us. Thanks for all your hard work microdev
    Sorry about that. I had just one example for testing. So what do you propose?
    You are right, so far the ids are not centered. I will change that tomorrow.
    I might as well adjust the id size to the texture size.

But what about the tiny textures? Do you want me to resize them? Doesn't this misarrange the textures?
    I think automatically resizing the textures should not be a big issue. But under which conditions and to which dimension? 2x, 4x, 8x?

Your feedback is important as the retexturers are the experts at the user side.
    I can change the code regarding to your input.

EDIT: It would be great if you could provide some examples of problematic (unmarked) textures which I could use for testing. That will ease the changing a lot.
    Last edited by microdev; May 21st, 2008 at 22:19.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    But what about the tiny textures? Do you want me to resize them? Doesn't this misarrange the textures?
    I think automatically resizing the textures should not be a big issue. But under which conditions and to which dimension? 2x, 4x, 8x?
    Well, if the textures resolution is increased correctly, they will work fine. The textures must be 2x, 4x 8x 16x the normal texture size or they will not load at all.
    I think that the 4x the normal texture size would be the most useful, so thats probably what you should work on.

Here is a background composed of 44 textures. I tested your script on these textures but the size of the textures unable photoshop to write the text/number.

http://rapidshare.com/files/11662043...tures.rar.html

Thanks
    Datadayne
    Contact

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well, if the textures resolution is increased correctly, they will work fine. The textures must be 2x, 4x 8x 16x the normal texture size or they will not load at all.
    I think that the 4x the normal texture size would be the most useful, so thats probably what you should work on.

Here is a background composed of 44 textures. I tested your script on these textures but the size of the textures unable photoshop to write the text/number.

http://rapidshare.com/files/11662043...tures.rar.html

Thanks
    Datadayne
    Thanks for the examples. I will change the code tomorrow. Just one last question: Do you have an idea from which minimum texture size on I should resize the texture in order to retain readability of the ids?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the examples. I will change the code tomorrow. Just one last question: Do you have an idea from which minimum texture size on I should resize the texture in order to retain readability of the ids?
    The minimum texture resolution you can go is 2x the normal texture size.
    Contact

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The minimum texture resolution you can go is 2x the normal texture size.
    What I meant is how small a texture has to be to be resized to 4x. E.g. if a texture has the size of 512x512 it propably does not have to be resized. But a texture of the size of 9x9 surely has to be resized.

My question was: where is the threshold between resizing or not?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm, well, I really know. But I believe that anything under 32x32 must be resized.

Here is a document 32x32 in size with a font 5px and its still clearly readable. Once the number gets into three digits, it cuts of (depending on font) but ive never seen an image composed of more than 50 textures, so this shouldnt be a problem.

The bottom line, anything 32 and over will be clearly readable if the font is centered and kept at a small font size.

I hope I answered your question this time. I also hope you successfully manage to complete the script.
    Datadayne
    Contact

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    All textures should be resized. You won't come across many textures at 512x512. 4x is probably a good starting point, because sometimes when you go larger, it slows down the game.

"ive never seen an image composed of more than 50 textures"

You are mistaken. Most of the skyboxes in SM64 have 54 textures, and the market from OOT has over 100 textures.
    Last edited by Mollymutt; May 22nd, 2008 at 01:20.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was just thinking that after you marked your textures (any texture) in a scene of a game, you might be interested to modify specific textures (e.g. all textures of a character). To do so, you have to identify these textures in the texture folder and load them into Photoshop for treatment.
    This what also be a good function, since you sometimes mark a whole bunch of textures but realize that not all are used in the game.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast