What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

HighResEaser - retexture backgrounds in a wink

OP
M

microdev

I updated the first post with the new version HighResEaser v1.1

Besides some bug fixes - especially the support for file names with whitespaces
(Photoshop reacts quite strange to them if exporting is done through scripting)
it has extended support for marking textures:

27zb5n6.jpg

Support for loading specific, selected textures into separate documents comes with the next version.

This was a snapshot, so some bugs may still be in there. Thus feedback is highly appreciated.

Last edited:

mino91

thank you microdev this is a good work you will make my life easier for the skybox. evrry thing i need it its your work.

Datadayne

Hmm, everything is working perfectly except part 3. The only thing that goes wrong is that when I save the textures using the script, the textures will not load ingame. It looks like everything is correctly setup. The filenames are correct but they are still not loading.

I dont know what the problem might be but after marking the textures in part two, the textures load. Its only after saving the textures in part 3 that they dont load.

Could you please take a look at this microdev,
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UDRMB9QU

Datadayne

mode7

Solution: The script uses the save for web option which saves the layer of the document as Background Layer. The textures though need to have a normal layer. I usually fix this via an batch action, which duplicates the bg layer and deletes the original.
@microdev: do you remember the mail I sent you sunday or monday? I posted a possible solution with the command isbackgroundlayer = false or something like that, I could look it up again if you like

OP
M

microdev

Solution: The script uses the save for web option which saves the layer of the document as Background Layer. The textures though need to have a normal layer. I usually fix this via an batch action, which duplicates the bg layer and deletes the original.
@microdev: do you remember the mail I sent you sunday or monday? I posted a possible solution with the command isbackgroundlayer = false or something like that, I could look it up again if you like

No, unfortunately I did not receive this mail :(
In the meantime the script does not use the ExportToWeb options anymore as this caused strange problems with filenames containing whitespaces. During saving, whitespaces had been replaced by hyphens.

But nevertheless I think that is the hint, which solves the problem. It is true, until now a new document is created, the tile is pasted into it and the document is saved. Thus the background layer remains in the document. This I can fix really quickly but unfortunately I'm currently having huge problems with my laptop. The harddisk with Photoshop etc. broke down and - of course - there was no backup. I'm currently trying to bring it back to life. Afterwards, I will provide the fix immediately. Hopefully this afternoon latest.

EDIT: @mode7 does the under 3. generated texture document contain a background layer and a layer with the actual texture or is the texture directly painted onto the background layer? Sorry, I can't check that myself atm. as Photoshop is not accessible due to my laptop trouble.

Last edited:
OP
M

microdev

OK, I changed the code. Now, during tiling, a separate layer will be generated for each tile and the background layer will be deleted afterwards. Hopefully this fixes the loading problems in the plugins. As my Photoshop is not working atm. I could not test it. Therefore it would be very kind if you could inform me if this actually fixes the problem.

The link to the new version is available in the first post.

Last edited:

Datadayne

Mode7, could you possibly tell me how you managed to get part 3 working?

When im using the latest script, it does not save anything at all. I see the first texture being added to a new layer but it does not save. The script stops executing after that.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Datadayne

OP
M

microdev

Mode7, could you possibly tell me how you managed to get part 3 working?

When im using the latest script, it does not save anything at all. I see the first texture being added to a new layer but it does not save. The script stops executing after that.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Datadayne

Hmm... for me it worked. Try deleting the background layer if there is one.
Normally the Script should ask you for a destination folder, tiles the image and saves the tiles.

At which position is your highres layer? Is it the first (topmost in the list) layer?

Edit: Try this:Rearange your Tiles with step2. Afterwards paste your highres image into the highres layer that is automatically generated. Then retry exporting the tiles with step 3.

Last edited:

Datadayne

Hmm... for me it worked. Try deleting the background layer if there is one.
Normally the Script should ask you for a destination folder, tiles the image and saves the tiles.

At which position is your highres layer? Is it the first (topmost in the list) layer?

Yes, my hires layer is above all the textures. It looks like there was a background layer, but I deleted the background layer and same results.

The script asks for a destination folder, tiles the image but does not save.

OP
M

microdev

Ok. I reinstall Photoshop. (lost it because of harddisk trouble). Afterwards I will try it here and see what could cause these problems. Could you please send me the tiles of the original background and the id list to arrange them?

Please send it to me through PM.

What Photoshop version are you using? Did the export work with the former versions?

thanx.

EDIT: Ok, I reinstalled PS and tested Step 3. Works flawlessly for me. But I discovered another bug. If not all tiles are having the same dimensions (e.g. last tiles on the right or at the bottom), these tiles are not aligned correctly. I fixed this bug but before releasing, I will wait for the feedback of Datadayne, to include a fix for his problem as well, if necesssary...

Last edited:

Datadayne

Ok, I sent you a message with the textures microdev.

Im using photoshop Cs3. And the previous scripts would save but they would not load. With version 3, they dont save.

Do you think it has to do with my version of photoshop? I will try it on my Cs2 if it works or not.

OP
M

microdev

I sent you a debug version. Please report at which command the script stops. You will find further details in the PM that I sent to you. Yes, CS3 might be an issue as it seems to have a view bugs (that's what I read in the PS forum). Unfortunately I just have CS2, so you have to jump in as guinea pig for CS3 ;)

Datadayne

ok, I can safely say that Cs3 is the problem in my case. I tried 1.5 on my cs2 and it worked like a charm. I also tried your debug version, and I the last message I received was "Save texture as PNG" followed by "close file", a success.

OP
M

microdev

ok, I can safely say that Cs3 is the problem in my case. I tried 1.5 on my cs2 and it worked like a charm. I also tried your debug version, and I the last message I received was "Save texture as PNG" followed by "close file", a success.

I think yes and no. Is it possible that the backgroundlayer has a different name in CS2 and CS3? Or do you have a localized version installed where the backgroundlyer name is translated into the local language? Thanks to your debug report I was able to identify the source of the problem. I identified so far the background layer by it's name. But obviously it can differ. Now I used a different method to identify this layer and I am very positive that the script is now CS3 compatible as well.

Besides that I heavily recommend to use version 1.2 for your work as it supports tiles with different dimensions, which are clearly used for your backgrounds.

Version 1.2 will be uploaded to the first post in 5 minutes.

Please give me a feedback if HighResEaser v1.2 works with PS CS3. I'm very exited about that.

EDIT: Version 1.2 is up and I strongly recommend to use this version as it as well fixes problems with tiling of textures with different sizes (as e.g. the backgrounds of Smash Brothers)

Last edited:

Datadayne

SUCCESS

Version 1.2 is working with Cs3. Everything is working great. I am very happy it is working at last. Something that would normally take several hours, now takes a few minutes.

Thank you for all your hard work microdev, and mode7 for inspiring the idea.
If there is anything else you need testing, dont hesitate to ask.

Datadayne

OP
M

microdev

SUCCESS

Version 1.2 is working with Cs3. Everything is working great. I am very happy it is working at last. Something that would normally take several hours, now takes a few minutes.

Thank you for all your hard work microdev, and mode7 for inspiring the idea.
If there is anything else you need testing, dont hesitate to ask.

Datadayne
Great! Thanks, I will come back to your offer if needed.

Mollymutt

Here's a request. I used this for the first time just to number the tiles for an area I'm working on, and it worked as advertised, but I would like to refer back to the original image to use as a reference when I retexture it. What I would like, is the ability to either use this on open files, or to have the number be on a different layer, so the image isn't permanently marked. Thanks for the hard work on this. I wish this was here when I redid all of the skyboxes for SM64.

OP
M

microdev

Here's a request. I used this for the first time just to number the tiles for an area I'm working on, and it worked as advertised, but I would like to refer back to the original image to use as a reference when I retexture it. What I would like, is the ability to either use this on open files, or to have the number be on a different layer, so the image isn't permanently marked. Thanks for the hard work on this. I wish this was here when I redid all of the skyboxes for SM64.

No problem. You can already do that:

1. Simply select the folder with the unmarked textures after you selected option 2 (arrange textures).
  2. The script will ask you afterwards for the file containing the mapping information (between the ids and textures). This file is generated when you mark your textures and usually called TextureMarks.txt.
  3. It is located in the folder where the marked textures are located. Simply select this file in the marked folder when the script asks you for it.
Afterwards it will load and arrange the unmarked (but as well non-resized textures). For convenience I could add this file as well to the original texture folder in the next version. But than you should delete the mapping files before releasing a pack (as they are unneccesary when the pack is finished).

Btw. I found a stupid little bug in the arrange script. During cleanup I accidently removed a conditional statement. This will affect the tile placement if one tile is smaller than another. I will upload a fixed version as soon as possible.

EDIT: Version 1.2.1 with the fix for the bug described above is uploaded.

Mollymutt: Did my proposal work for you? I tested it at it worked fine for me. Would it make sense to place the mapping information file also in the folder with the original textures for convenience?

Mollymutt

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I wasn't putting together a background, just need to number some textures for a stage from Smash Bros. I just used the dumped textures to use as a reference. Now, to the latest problem, I'm going to redo the background for the stage I was working on; but the textures are very thin strips and the number is way on the side of the texture. When I load the textures, I can't see the numbers. It would be nice if there was an option to put the number wherever you want on it. Because, in backgrounds like the one I'm doing, you need it to be in the middle, but for skyboxes like in SM64, you need them on the corners.