What's new

mupen64plus idles on ubuntu

NumeriK

I've been trying to find out of others had experienced this issue but couldn't find references to this problem.

I'm trying to use mupen64plus on my 64bit AMD. Speed is fairly slow (~30fps) and jerky. When I "top", mupen64plus is only using 8-12% of my CPU. Project64 in Wine runs at full speed, but it's unstable - so I'd prefer to use mupen64.

Has anybody else experienced this issue and found a way to resolve it?

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
What core are you using? Also I will be moving this thread after you respond to it, to the Mupen64Plus subforum.

OP
N

NumeriK

I meant to post in Mupen64plus :-/ sorry.

I'm on a AMD 4800+ (2 cores at 2.4Ghz), 2GB or ram and a GeForce 7300 SE. I used the code available from the SVN (revision 328 or 327, not sure) and I also tried the latest binary I could find (1.3-bin-64 from the code.google.com page)

If I have time, I'll try to get into the code and see where it might be either sleeping/waiting/blocking, but for the days to come, that's not going to be possible.

Is there a flag I can use to tell mupen64plus to ignore timing and run as fast as possible?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I have added a Limit FPS checkbox a while ago. Turn that off and the sound plugin should take over.

You can enter ~/.mupen64plus/jttl_audio.conf to edit the Audio configuration manually as there is no JttL configuration GUI.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I'm on a AMD 4800+ (2 cores at 2.4Ghz), 2GB or ram and a GeForce 7300 SE. I used the code available from the SVN (revision 328 or 327, not sure) and I also tried the latest binary I could find (1.3-bin-64 from the code.google.com page)

I have a 64-bit system with an athlon64 3800+, 2 GB of ram, and a GeForce 6600, and the games run perfectly. With which games are you experiencing problems? Since it's not pegging one CPU core, it's not cpu-limited. Have you tried any other opengl applications to see if it's a general problem?

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I have added a Limit FPS checkbox a while ago. Turn that off and the sound plugin should take over.

I removed this option a week or two ago as part of the speed changing rework. You added this option as part of a big jttl_audio rework which caused stuttering on my and ebenblues' systems, and I reverted some of these changes and removed the Limit_FPS option because it seemed unnecessary. I sent an email asking if anyone needed this option and no-one responded so I took it out.

NMN, you need to activate your email for the Google Group (and Okaygo needs to sign up for the group). We're using this list for technical discussions.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Limit FPS is needed to be disabled for various things. And sorry about the stuttering thing, I assumed too much of the sound hardware i guess.

OP
N

NumeriK

Are you using DynaRec/Pure Interpretor/Interpretor

Moving thread~

Ahh! That's what you meant by Core earlier!

I'm using DynaRec - Interpretor is ~30% slower and Pure is over twice slower.

The good news is that I found the problem. I was using mupen64 audio plugin and it was the video trying to sync with the audio that was constantly slowing down. I changed for JttL's SDL plugin and now everything works very well. I'm at 25% CPU 60 FPS.

Thanks for pointing me to the audio plugin!

Cheers

Num.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
This is good to know. I'm glad to hear this worked well. 25% CPU usage fullspeed is nice for my expectations.

DarkJezter

Maybe that means it's about time time brush the dust off LLE of the RSP.

There's that one plugin z64, but my rig can barely handle the load it's given now. How I long to have more than one processor. This is probably a pipe dream at the moment... I suspect the code's going to need a monumental amount of work to be able to spread the work more evenly over a number of processors.

Anyone else try playing around with that z64 plugin?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Maybe that means it's about time time brush the dust off LLE of the RSP.

There's that one plugin z64, but my rig can barely handle the load it's given now. How I long to have more than one processor. This is probably a pipe dream at the moment... I suspect the code's going to need a monumental amount of work to be able to spread the work more evenly over a number of processors.

Anyone else try playing around with that z64 plugin?

Yes, It worked really good when i was using it.