What's new

Can't read TOC from <name> drive

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Switch to the xxx CD-ROM plugin. Windows XP/2000 do not have ASPI support out of the box, without installing Adaptec's own afterwards, so the ASPI plugin fails as a results.

OP
W

wheresmylimo112

Ok , that worked , now i get this error -

can't read dc_bios.bin
I don't understand ? The patched skies of arcadia cd image is already mounted on g drive . And my 'Configure drive' is set to g . Whats going on ?
Srry for being a newb .

Xtreme2damax

You must dump your Bios and Flash files from your Dreamcast if you haven't done so already and place them in the "Bios" folder.

I personally recommend using NullDC over Chankast due to the fact Chankast is an old DC emulator with poor speed and compatibility that is no longer being updated.

NullDC solves a lot of the problems which will most likely not be fixed on Chankast.

Also give Demul a look as well, theres a new version on it's way hopefully from what I've been hearing.

OP
W

wheresmylimo112

Even stupider question , where is the bios folder ? o_O , I searched my comp and found this bios folder , but its no where near the Chankast folder .

Xtreme2damax

Even stupider question , where is the bios folder ? o_O , I searched my comp and found this bios folder , but its no where near the Chankast folder .

It's been so long since I've used Chankast because of NullDC being much better in terms of compatibility and speed that I didn't realize Chankast doesn't have a Bios folder like NullDC and Demul.

For Chankast the Bios and Flash files go in the same folder as the Chankast exe and plugins. You then have to manually select the Bios and flash files after starting the emulator in it's option menu.

OP
W

wheresmylimo112

OK , I once again have a problem . This time , most likely , no solution . This is what Agozer has to say about it .

You don't have the Dremacast BIOS files

But I don't understand , what exactly is a Dreamcast BIOS file ? I downloaded a 1GB file that contains this CD 1 and CD 2 mountable image file . Apparently , others were able to play , so i don't really get it !?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
All CD-ROM or DVD-ROM based systems have a BIOS, as well as several arcade boards and some handhelds. It's basically a program that handles the most basic interaction with the actual hardware and is responsible for booting the game. Without the BIOS, the system won't run.

On the Dreamcast, the BIOS is responsible the Dreamcast menu, which appears when no game is loaded. It's the same ting with the PSX, PS2, XBOX, GameCube, etc. etc.

As I said, for Chankast, you need Dc_bios.bin and Dc_flash.bin. If you are using nullDC, you need to rename Dc_bios.bin to Dc_boot.bin.