What's new

Mupen64Plus release candidate!

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
a short question:
Is this working with Ubuntu 7.04 and a radeon HD3870?
I just upgraded my computer to a x2 5000+ black edition with 2GB ram and a 3870...
i tried mupen about a year ago with my x850xt... i wasnt able to get it to run properly (slideshow fps and gfx-bugs only)
did there change something since ATI is with AMD?
Are there good drivers without problems for new hardware like my 3870 on linux available?
i want to test this new emu :)

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
As far as Radeon support, which video driver are you using? Ubuntu ships with radeon (often called by the ati meta-driver in xorg.conf) but there are fglrx packages in Ubuntu's non-free contrib section (I believe they call it universe, I'm on Debian)

Mupen works fine on my X850XT at work with the proprietary fglrx driver, goto AMD/ATI's site to download. The open source drivers (radeon for r100-r500, radeonhd for r500-) have limitations, but development is happening very rapidly.

The HD3870 is too new to be supported well by either driver. The radeonhd driver has 2D support, but no 3D, and there are no plans for CrossFire on linux yet so that extra GPU is wasted. Fglrx probably has better support this card, but you may need to wait for the next monthly release.

A good place to go for AMD/ATI driver stuff is phoronix.com.

I just wanted to chime in on the Windows porting. Ideally since we use GTK (or even with Qt), there should be no need for a lot of Windows specific GUI stuff since both toolkits are cross-platform. My rational for not focusing on a Windows port is that frankly Project64 1.6 on windows is better than mupen on linux. Until that changes, windows users should just use what works. Since we don't have a glut of developers, attention should be focused on making mupen better. When a lot of the bugs are worked out, then the idea of a windows port can be discussed again.

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Since we don't have a glut of developers, attention should be focused on making mupen better. When a lot of the bugs are worked out, then the idea of a windows port can be discussed again.

I feel similarly. It would be better to focus our efforts on improving and fixing the plugins and existing GUI than to get bogged down in GUI makeovers.

I checked out the google code hosting and signed up. I don't think I'll move the SVN server over in the near future because it works where it is. But I may set up the issue tracking and downloads this weekend. It will take some time but should be worth it.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
I checked out the google code hosting and signed up. I don't think I'll move the SVN server over in the near future because it works where it is. But I may set up the issue tracking and downloads this weekend. It will take some time but should be worth it.
That sounds good. I don't see a need to move the svn server over to it as long as you're happy hosting it.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I feel similarly. It would be better to focus our efforts on improving and fixing the plugins and existing GUI than to get bogged down in GUI makeovers.

I don't want to misrepresent myself here. I think people should work on what they're interested in and motivated to work on. If someone really has a burning desire to work on the GUI/core interface, then I'll be happy to do what we did for the gui/nogui merge. This applies to any new big feature: we'll make a branch (which takes very little time), and the programmer who is so inclined can start working on the branch. When/if this gets driven to completion and it's clearly an improvement, then we'll merge it back into the trunk. Proper software engineering practices will keep us from "trying to do everything at the same time and getting nothing done."

TwistedWhizz

Bless you for this emulator! Thanks for your continued work on this. I've even bought a new graphics card to get a better experience from it (not much of an upgrade, but my old one was struggling a bit I think)!

Great to see all the fixes and improvements. My thanks again. :)

FranMichaels

Absolutely smashing!
Just compiled it, (to install had to change ginstall to install in the install.sh)
Running Ubuntu Hardy beta 8.04. 32-bit, core duo laptop with metacity compositing on (intel onboard video).

Runs just beautifully. First n64 emulator I've ever tried!

I just joined, so I hope it's okay to post a few small shots here (or is the screenshot thread the mandatory place... :) )

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Absolutely smashing!
Just compiled it, (to install had to change ginstall to install in the install.sh)
Running Ubuntu Hardy beta 8.04. 32-bit, core duo laptop with metacity compositing on (intel onboard video).

Runs just beautifully. First n64 emulator I've ever tried!

I just joined, so I hope it's okay to post a few small shots here (or is the screenshot thread the mandatory place... :) )
Glad you're enjoying the emulator. :) The install.sh problem has been fixed for the official release. I like the screenshots. Maybe Richard42 can add them to the project webpage (http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/).

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer

I'm glad you like it; we're probably going to be making the 1.3 release this weekend. I can make a screenshot wiki page on the google code site and put these up if you don't mind. Which Mario game did these come from? It looks like Paper Mario but I've only played the Wii game.

FranMichaels

I'm glad you like it; we're probably going to be making the 1.3 release this weekend. I can make a screenshot wiki page on the google code site and put these up if you don't mind. Which Mario game did these come from? It looks like Paper Mario but I've only played the Wii game.

Yeah that's correct, Paper Mario. I've been playing the Wii one today too. That's why I tried the oldest paper mario in the emu actually.

Please feel free to use the screenshots, when the wiki is up I'll be glad to contribute more.

Also, looking forward to the next released, looks very very polished as is :)

Günther1

I'm aware of the fullscreen compatibility issue in Glide64. I think it was broken during the Linux porting process. Originally it refused to go into fullscreen at all, so I hacked it to properly use one of the config file parameters to select window/FS. I need to make it work with the command-line option and the F1 key.

It works for me using my Glide64 version. Your fullscreen patch is the only one I haven't pulled because it broke fullscreen for me. I tried to understand what was going on in that part of the code after that, but just got confused by what apparently is support for old Voodoo cards only having fullscreen and a mode putting the video into the main window. I did not want to needlessly destroy that, so I decided to live with having to put F1 for fullscreen at every emulator start.