Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guess what filetypes nintendo uses for Wii games? Pictures inside [56K Warning]

After ripping en decrypting the Super Mario Galaxy iso (Rawdump + WiiTools) I was browsing through Galaxy's system files, not expecting to find much, when I stumbled upon arc files in the "ObjectData" directory. They decompressed fine with rarcdump. The picture below shows the files you get after decompressing PeachCastleGardenPlanet.arc.

That's right, Galaxy uses bdl files for geometry!! (and btp + bck for animation). The models look great in bmdview2!
    I have no clue what kind of data the kcl files could hold though. They seem pretty interesting due to their filesize, which can sometimes be nearly as big as the bdl itself.
    Enjoy some random snapshots:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy chicken nice find!!!
    Somehow i think they even use same models from Mario sunshine dont they? And those models are pretty high modeled!
    Lets hack the Wii YAY!

Edit:
    Dont get me wrong dear Wii fanboys but this actually confirmed my theory that the Wii is a Gamecube 1.5
    Last edited by Sercio; January 28th, 2008 at 22:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know how it is , if it at first you don't succeed Gamecube 1.5 hehe now thats called using your head old technology that costs less money sold at a premium price. Nintendo must be making a lot of money right now. However I personally feel that they give us what we want in terms of gameplay experiences and so although they make a good profit on us its their business and we pay for what we feel is worth it

Master of the Emulation Flame MasterPhW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mmh I should start Wii Modding aswell.
    Will get the drive, which can read Wii discs next week, so I will probably decompress some games, aswell.
    Btw: They are still using the same engines of the games, doesn't mean, the Wii is just a GC 1.5, becuase that would mean, the N64 is just a Wii 0.5 and the DS a Wii Mini.
    They are just using there own, very good working engines and port them to the next generation, that's it.
    The Future of Emulation: Emulate a High End Computer on a Low End System
    Main: Intel Core i7 (Lynnfiled) 860 (@3.802Ghz) | 8 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI XFX HD 5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device | 256 GB SSD + 3 TB Internal SATA2 + 4 TB external | Windows 7 Professional X64 SP1 MSDNAA
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015PEM | Intel Atom Dual Core N550 (1,5GHz) | 2GB DDR3-1066 | Intel GMA 3150 | 250GB HDD | Win 7 Starter
    Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool! Thanks for posting this :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guess youre suprised that your viewer also works on Wii games
    I hope Nintendo will continue using this format on new games like Zelda

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice have you compared the poly count on the Mario models?

In other words, how many polygons does the (normal) Mario model have?
    (The GC one from Sunshine has 1348 polygons.)

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinal83 View Post
    Nice have you compared the poly count on the Mario models?

In other words, how many polygons does the (normal) Mario model have?
    (The GC one from Sunshine has 1348 polygons.)

Galaxy's mario model has 4877 polygons. That's over 3.6 times as much as the gamecube's model!

Also, I just finished ripping Wii Sports (or apparently "SPORTSPACK for REVOLUTION" as it's called internally ). Unfortunetly the filles are compressed in a different format: .carc instead of .arc. Rarcdump can't handle carc files

Next games on my list are Super paper mario and Mario party 8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm Leon from Resident Evil 4 almost had 10000 Polys so compared to that one is mario pretty cheap modeled :/
    Mario looks cool anyway but i think he could look alot better without those "kiddish" things with him

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    10k is nice, but 5k is enough to make it look good if you do it well.
    Even the GC Mario with only 1350 polygons looks good enough, especially when compared to the N64 Mario

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast