What's new

Jnes 1.0 released

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Jabo said:
As you can tell from posts on this website I've been slowly working on Jnes since the last release almost two years ago. Unfortunately between other projects and a full work schedule Jnes usually doesn't get much of a time slice.

I decided a few months ago that it was time for another release as there was enough accumulated changes to start a release effort up again. This release has some really cool new stuff and also has a version number that reflects the maturity of the project. You can find a full changelog and release in the downloads section, here is the top three things

• Localization support
  • Kaillera full screen chat
  • Movie capturing
It's probably worth mentioning that this version no longer supports Windows 98/ME, I honestly stopped testing on that platform anyway. Over the coming weeks I plan on putting together the following things as well;
  • Thumbnail packs for the rom browser
  • documentation for the new features (like movies, etc)
  • Translations to other languages
So make sure you check back for those things if you're interested. I'm looking for people to translate Jnes into other languages using the example message catalog in the ZIP file.

Putting this release together was a lot of work over the last few years so I hope everyone enjoys using it. I want to take time to thank my beta team for 1.0 who have been a fantastic group to work with, this version is definitely a reflection on everyone's great feedback;

"Beta Team"
  • Gent
  • squall_leonhart
  • mudlord
  • Iconoclast
This is my Christmas present to emulation fans, Merry Christmas!

Changes since 0.6

• bugfix: command line arguments, added switches -relaunchmce -exitonclose
  • bugfix: fixed multiple rom browser sorting issues
  • bugfix: fixed input POV-hat diagonals
  • bugfix: fixed palette dialog
  • bugfix: PAL raw audio timing
  • bugfix: vsync no longer lags
  • upgraded to a static zlib 1.2.3
  • options are now stored in Jnes.ini instead of registry
  • added software filter to 4x windowed and fullscreen
  • added windowed mode vsync (experimental)
  • added fullscreen status messages for states, kaillera, low battery
  • added setup and autoconfig buttons to input dialog
  • added a limit fps option
  • added mapper #225,#235
  • new browser artwork display mode available in settings dialog
  • rom browser now caches things quietly for quicker startup
  • support for capturing movies and rendering them to an AVI
  • new kaillera dialog to streamline using it
  • support for external languages in utf-8 format
  • redid rom info dialog into a nicer table
  • new system information dialog
  • added warning for netplay regarding extended vblank
  • extended kaillera packets with mini state information
  • kaillera chat via Ctrl+T in fullscreen
  • new palette options
  • added blargg's nes_ntsc filter
Download Jnes 1.0

steveyg

wow, i got to try this update when i get home. Always wanted chat support during game play by just pressing T or a command:)

extrax

arghhhhh, the chat support on kaillera is horrible. Not what i was expecting, thought it would have been like zsnes or mame32k But it's a start

Jabo

Emulator Developer
This is fantastic, our first translation ;-)

thanks so much, i will be collecting this for the website distribution

arghhhhh, the chat support on kaillera is horrible. Not what i was expecting, thought it would have been like zsnes or mame32k But it's a start

I'll ignore the crudeness for a moment, but I looked at zsnes, not so much mame32, but the chat support in zsnes doesn't seem to be all that impressive, i mean it gets the job done. the chat support in jnes most people found pretty nifty, it's transparently drawn over the game and has a 6 level deep chat history, what aspect were you so taken back by?

Last edited:

Ly Mathews

I don't like Castlevania
Here's the Portuguese (Brazil) translation i have made! Great work Jabo!

Jnes-Portuguese_BR_.zip

P.s.: Emutalk is giving me a error when i try to upload the archive, thats why i used hotlinking.

Last edited:
I love this emulator, thanks Jabo! I say bye bye Nestopia ;) Nestopia seems too bloated for my taste, but Jnes is simplistic and just works! :)