What's new

BT lag/freeze issue

PKofGKRPG

I had recently (About a week ago) downloaded and installed Project64 1.6 and the first two games I downloaded was Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie (Still randomly like to play even being 14 years old) and the BK game (Banjo-Kazooie.z64) works fine in all but the Treasure Trove Cove level where there is a small lag every now and then but works everywhere else beside a few graphical errors (IE: Pixels the wrong color or random streaks) but got through those with a very good experience...Now with Banjo-Tooie (Banjo-Tooie.v64) on the other hand...The graphics start to lag due to some big areas in the beginning (Isle O' Hags) and the sound starts to crackle or stop...During the time I play in less than an hour for some reason it will stop working...All commands (Cheat, Full Screen, Configuration etc.) will no longer respond where the only way to do anything is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and end the process/program...I have tried waiting (Over half an hour or so) and it doesn't resolve itself...I have tried different Graphics/Sound/Controller plugins but they haven't helped much...Normally would give the game lower quality, no sound, or lack of response...I'm using the basic plugins included with PJ64 and am just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this issue I'm having...I'm not a pro on computers but I'll list what I can of what is being used...

-CPU Info-
Compaq Presario
Windows XP
Intel(R) Celeron(R) Processor 2.7 GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM Memory
40 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
CD-RW Drive 48x24x48 Max. Speed
Realtek AC97 Audio
ATI Radeon 9200 Series
System is over 3 years old
Flash 9.0.47.0
DirectX(R) Version 10

-Emulator Info-
Project 64 V1.6
Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6
Jabo's DirectSound 1.6
Jabo's DirectInput7 1.6
Banjo-Tooie.v64

If there is anymore help I can offer please tell me...Thank you all for your help

[Edit] I almost forgot...With the PJ64 emulator...Is is possible as to do the Stop N Swap thing with the games? Or would I need the actual games with the system (I got the system not the games)

Last edited:

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I think the Radeon 9200 would be responsible for some of the graphical lag, it's not an extremely good video card. This will be an even worse problem when you get to places like Hailfire Peaks. I have a GeForce 7600, and it still lags on the Icy Side's upper area (1280x720, full settings otherwise).

The PJ64 core still has some issues with Banjo-Tooie, random crashes and problems with opcodes or some such nonsense are common. Just quicksave often, and be glad that Banjo-Tooie autosaves EVERYTHING.

As for Stop 'N' Swap, I don't think that would be possible with an emulator, but I'm not sure it was ever possible in the first place. Needless to say, when Nintendo got wind of where Rare was going with that, they bitched. So I'd bet anything Rare took that functionality out of B-T and instead put in those B-K gamepaks you have to kill.

Hellwolf_36

Your problems sound strange. I ran Banjo Kazooie and Tooie on a Geforce 7350 LE (64 MB) and using Jabo D3D8 1.6 and both games ran perfectly with no graphical glitches. Plus, I render teh game at 800x600 Window and 1024x768 Full. But then again, I am using a PC like p_025's except with Vista and no sound card.

The Core problem is the only problem that exists on my end, but it was a rare occurance. The random crashings are not as bad as Aidyn Chronicles was, where it would crash and NOT SAVE (then again you can save anywhere).

The audio probably has something to do with your Audio Chip. I never trusted Realtek with anything useful for older PCs. I ended up buying a SB Audigy 2 XS after mine kept muting randomly when I was playing other games.

The lag probably has something to do with your PC specs. 512 MB of RAM + other programs operating can have some effect on performance.

I also hope you are using the (U) [!] copies of those ROMs. If it has [!], it is the best quality. These symbols appear after you scan your ROM with GoodN64

Last edited:

Hellwolf_36

Well, I had a 9600 before I bought this PC. And it ran games like Super Mario up to Aidyn pretty well. Even Turok 2 looked perfect with not much lag. I also used Jabo 1.6.

Unless, he was using something like Glide Wonder++, which has been known to slow down fps on some games.