What's new

New release: Mupen64-amd64 and RiceVideoLinux versions 1.0

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Well finally, after a lot of work, here it is. A new release, with both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries and source, of the Mupen64-amd64 and RiceVideoLinux projects. Even with all the bugs and imperfections remaining, I christen it Version 1.0. :)

Please play with it, have fun, and report problems and crashes here on the forum. If you get a segfault, report your system details, what plugins were in use, the game you were playing, and what you were doing when it crashed. The RELEASE files have detailed information on the changes that have been made, but here are some of the things you might be interested in:

Highlights:
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries compiled for GTK 2
- Dynamic recompiler works for 32-bit build, without tweaking the binary
- Binary packages include both Mupen64-amd64 and RiceVideoLinux
- Source packages can make 32-bit builds on 64-bit machines with makefile switch
- RiceVideo uses SSE2 transformation calculations for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. Disable SSE in RiceVideoLinux.cfg if your CPU doesn't support it.

Game fixes:
- Fixed Carmageddon crash with RiceVideo
- Fixed Banjo Kazooie crash in RiceVideo
- Fixed screen flashes in Mario Kart and Kirby 64; they look great now
- Fixed decal problems in Super Mario 64; also looks great

NoGUI improvements:
- run a game just by ./mupen64_nogui /path/to/game.z64
- use --emumode 2 to run dynamic recompiler for 32-bit build; it works!
- use --gfx <path>, --rsp <path>, or --audio <path> to select different plugins
- like: --audio ./plugins/dummyaudio.so

kdubya

Its late but i thought i would give it a whirl real quick.

I did an svn update, I assume this gets me the same version you got here.

Tested about 7 or 8 games, across the board worked better than with the old version. No flickers in Mario Kart, THANK YOU. Mario tennis and golf had flicker type problems that were improved with this version. A lot of games that use tons of large sprites (NBA Hangtime) were slloooow and unplayable, now they run perfect and look freaking awesome with the texture enhancements.

The two obvious bugs I have found...
-I seg fault if I put a nonstandard resolution into the .cfg file. Would be fine but there are not widescreen choices.
-I seg fault if I turn on high resolution texture packs.

Thanks a lot man its awesome!

agentdcooper

Linux Gamer
2 zip files not usable??

Richard42 - I am running into some trouble trying out your files you posted - specifically I cannot UNZIP them.... The files "Mupen64amd64-RiceVideoLinux-1-0-bin-64.zip" and "RiceVideoLinux-1-0-src.zip" seem to work fine, but I am having trouble with ;
"Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip"
"Mupen64amd64-RiceVideoLinux-1-0-bin-32.zip"

I just can't get them to open/extract without error... any ideas/suggestions? I am really looking forward to trying out your release!

;; here's the errors Im getting and the version of the program I am running to open//extract ;;

I tried Winrar [via Wine] - this gave the error "! Unexpected end of archive"
I tried Ark v2.6.4 - which gave the error "An error occurred while trying to open the archive"

Code:
> unzip --help
UnZip 5.52 of 28 February 2005, by Info-ZIP.  Maintained by C. Spieler.  Send
bug reports using http://www.info-zip.org/zip-bug.html; see README for details.

Code:
> unzip ../Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip 
Archive:  ../Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of ../Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip or
        ../Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip.zip, and cannot find ../Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip.ZIP, period.

-= PS =- Congrats on all your hard work, I am very grateful, and look forward to testing it out!

Surkow

Specification:
32bit Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

In other words I tried the 32bit binary version.

When trying to open the config from Rice a small window without text appears and the terminal shows the following output several times:

Code:
Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `(unknown)'

(mupen64:6860): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)' failed

When I click on about the program is killed and the terminal tell me it suffers from a segmentation problem.

Code:
Segmentatiefout (core dumped)

edit: I just tried SM64 and it the cut scenes looked great (couldn't play because I couldn't configure the input plugin because it kills the program). The only weird thing I noticed was that it looked like as if mario was glowing.

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
@kdubya:

SVN update was the right thing to do - I fixed a lot of small issues at the last minute, and I also made a top-level 'releases' folder in the repository and put the zip files there. I haven't tried Mario golf or tennis yet. I'll put the 2 segfalts you mentioned on the TODO list.

@agentdcooper:

I have the same version of unzip (5.52) and it unzips those two files without a problem. I suspect it's a downloading issue. The Mupen64-amd64 source file should be 2371876 bytes long, and the 32-bit binary pack should be 1686074 bytes. Try doing an 'md5sum *' from the command-line, and here is what you should get for those 2 files:

c919b66278ed605f57e7ac25c74bb651 Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip
7307b39c2e3e2affdc84ba7b50fa374b Mupen64amd64-RiceVideoLinux-1-0-bin-32.zip

If these hashes are not the same then your downloaded files are corrupt. You could try downloading with a different web browser, or right-click and Save As rather than left-click the links. Sometimes things get downloaded as text rather than binary.

@surkow:

I haven't tested the GUI extensively with either the 32-bit or 64-bit builds. It looks like you found a couple of things to add to the TODO list. You can edit the 'blight_input.conf' file by hand to set it up for your controller - right now it's set up for my logitech 'dual shock'-style controller, but the format of the file is pretty obvious so you should be able to change the axes and buttons used. I haven't seen the glowing Mario effect either - he must be quivering with anticipation at the new Super Mario Galaxy release. :)

Surkow

@surkow:

I haven't tested the GUI extensively with either the 32-bit or 64-bit builds. It looks like you found a couple of things to add to the TODO list. You can edit the 'blight_input.conf' file by hand to set it up for your controller - right now it's set up for my logitech 'dual shock'-style controller, but the format of the file is pretty obvious so you should be able to change the axes and buttons used. I haven't seen the glowing Mario effect either - he must be quivering with anticipation at the new Super Mario Galaxy release. :)

I've edited the input config file before so I know how it works (I use an xbox360 controller). This is what I mean with glowing:

Currently the glow is green but it differs per scene. Also a problem I noticed in the cut scenes is that the screen flickers randomly (some objects become black).

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
I've edited the input config file before so I know how it works (I use an xbox360 controller). This is what I mean with glowing:
Currently the glow is green but it differs per scene. Also a problem I noticed in the cut scenes is that the screen flickers randomly (some objects become black).

Yep, I see it. It's a bug in my RiceVideo SSE vertex lighting code, and it appears to affect both 32-bit and 64-bit builds. You can disable SSE in the RiceVideo.cfg and it goes away. I'll fix it in the next few days but tonight I'm playing Mario Galaxy. :party:

agentdcooper

Linux Gamer
md5 to the rescue

@kdubya:
@agentdcooper:

I have the same version of unzip (5.52) and it unzips those two files without a problem. I suspect it's a downloading issue. The Mupen64-amd64 source file should be 2371876 bytes long, and the 32-bit binary pack should be 1686074 bytes. Try doing an 'md5sum *' from the command-line, and here is what you should get for those 2 files:

c919b66278ed605f57e7ac25c74bb651 Mupen64-amd64-1-0-src.zip
7307b39c2e3e2affdc84ba7b50fa374b Mupen64amd64-RiceVideoLinux-1-0-bin-32.zip

If these hashes are not the same then your downloaded files are corrupt. You could try downloading with a different web browser, or right-click and Save As rather than left-click the links. Sometimes things get downloaded as text rather than binary.

=======================
you were righton, md5 did not match when I used Firefox to download those 2 files (it happened everytime) ... when I used 'wget' the md5sum matched perfectly right off the bat.

thanks! i am using AMD 2600+ on 32bit platform - compiling both yr RiceVideoLinux plugin + Mupen64-amd64 32bit sources in Slackware 12, just to test - works great for MANY games - hires textures segfault each time I try with Zelda OoT cell shaded... I am mainly interested in using your updated RiceVideo plugin to see how well it stacked up ---- thanks for the work you put into these releases!

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer

I managed to find some time after playing a couple of levels of Super Mario Galaxy - man that is an awesome game!

The black flickering is probably the same problem that I traced in Mario Kart. I would add 'ScreenUpdateSetting=1' in the Super Mario 64 section of the RiceVideoLinux.ini file -- this will probably fix it.

The green glow problem turned out to be in the original RiceVideo inline SSE code; when I ported it to GCC and 64-bit, I just assumed it was correct, but it turns out it was not. I fixed it and committed the fix to SVN. Since the 32-bit binaries seem to be very popular I've also attached a 32-bit binary build of the fixed plugin to this message. If anyone wants a 64-bit binary just shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.

i23098

Well finally, after a lot of work, here it is. A new release, with both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries and source, of the Mupen64-amd64 and RiceVideoLinux projects.

Great :bouncy: :drool:
You should update the homepage...

The green glow problem turned out to be in the original RiceVideo inline SSE code; when I ported it to GCC and 64-bit, [...] If anyone wants a 64-bit binary just shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Maybe you should post it here, as more people could want it. If not, send it to me :)

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
We don't have a homepage to update. We don't have access to the official server.

If this program gets adopted to the Mupen64 official builds, then the page will probably get updated.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Maybe you should post it here, as more people could want it. If not, send it to me :)

Okay, here it is. To tell you the truth, the 64-bit builds are just sort of a novelty right now. Unless someone has a fast enough machine to run the games at full speed with the Interpreter core, or he doesn't have the 32-bit compatibility libraries installed, he should be running the 32-bit build even on a 64-bit machine. The reason for this is that the 32-bit builds with Dynamic Recompilation are way faster than the 64-bit builds with the Interpreter. I think it takes about a 2.0 GHz Athlon64, Opteron, or Core 2 to not peg the CPU with the interpreter. And since all the processing takes place in a single thread, it won't make use of multiple cores.

TwistedWhizz

Magic, a fresh new Mupen for Linux! My thanks to all involved. :cheers:

I think I might be doing something wrong though: I can't seem to get RiceVideo up in my plugin options. What have I done wrong? I've got glN64, and the Mupen one, but no Rice. I know I'm a wally, but help me out! I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy 32bit, and I downloaded the file Mupen64amd64-RiceVideoLinux-1-0-bin-32.zip from this thread. Thanks.

Surkow

Magic, a fresh new Mupen for Linux! My thanks to all involved. :cheers:

I think I might be doing something wrong though: I can't seem to get RiceVideo up in my plugin options. What have I done wrong? I've got glN64, and the Mupen one, but no Rice. I know I'm a wally, but help me out! I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy 32bit, and I downloaded the file Mupen64amd64-RiceVideoLinux-1-0-bin-32.zip from this thread. Thanks.

Try to put the latest updated rice plugin from the previous page in the plugins directory. Currently even if it does appear you can't change the settings with the GUI.

i23098

Can't configure keys :(

First, thanks again for this great work.

I can launch games, but can't play as I don't know the keys. :plain:

I went to Options->Plugins, select Plugins tab and it's blight's SDL input plugin 0.0.10 selected for the Input. When I try Config, Mupen crashes :(

If I select Mupen64 basic input plugin, Config makes nothing :( I'm trying to find the keys, as cursors this way work :)

Help :unsure:

Surkow

First, thanks again for this great work.

I can launch games, but can't play as I don't know the keys. :plain:

I went to Options->Plugins, select Plugins tab and it's blight's SDL input plugin 0.0.10 selected for the Input. When I try Config, Mupen crashes :(

If I select Mupen64 basic input plugin, Config makes nothing :( I'm trying to find the keys, as cursors this way work :)

Help :unsure:

Correct, you have to edit the input config file yourself. It was primarily the command line version that was updated if I understand it well enough.

This is what Richard had to say about it:

I haven't tested the GUI extensively with either the 32-bit or 64-bit builds. It looks like you found a couple of things to add to the TODO list. You can edit the 'blight_input.conf' file by hand to set it up for your controller - right now it's set up for my logitech 'dual shock'-style controller, but the format of the file is pretty obvious so you should be able to change the axes and buttons used.

To make it easier for yourself you should compare the input configuration from mupen v0.5 to the new one.

Last edited: