What's new

New release: Mupen64-amd64 and RiceVideoLinux versions 1.0

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
So I gave you some ideas, what you could implement, nice to hear!
I hope that we don't need to create a team for mupen in some years and call it Mupen-M, to merge all the forks, like we had to do with VBA...

Surkow

@Surkow: It is possible to speed up the game without disabling the sound, but it's much more technically difficult to do this, especially if you want it to sound halfway decent. Someone who was competent in DSP could even add processing to keep the same pitch at the higher speed, but it would be quite a bit of work.

Sorry for making difficult requests. I assumed it was possible because the 1964 devs implemented it. If you have little time to work on it then you can ignore my feature request.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
@MasterPhW: Today I found the VBA-M forum and poked around there a little bit. I also have an interest in setting up a good VBA emulator. I dl'd and built the SVN version - it built with no problems - but haven't tried to run it. Right now I have a build that I made from the Gentoo ebuild - I think it's 1.7.x. Everything seems to work fine with that version but I think the sound may be a bit rough. I'll have to compare the two to see if the latest VBA-M is better.

@Surkow: You don't have to be sorry for making difficult requests. :) We'll put it on the TODO list and if someone gets the time and inclination some day, it'll get done.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
@MasterPhW: Today I found the VBA-M forum and poked around there a little bit. I also have an interest in setting up a good VBA emulator. I dl'd and built the SVN version - it built with no problems - but haven't tried to run it. Right now I have a build that I made from the Gentoo ebuild - I think it's 1.7.x. Everything seems to work fine with that version but I think the sound may be a bit rough. I'll have to compare the two to see if the latest VBA-M is better.
VBA-M isn't bad, is it?
Me= one of the reasons the project started, so I'm a lil bit proud! ;)
If you have any problem or such things feel free to post in the forum! :)
Best wishes for Mupen64...

i23098

Yea, i've done some work on the emulator and i have some huge patch review to do before releasing a new version. I'm trying to review all patches carefully before accepting them.

It looks like the Mupen64k guys have made quite a few changes; maybe if I have time this weekend I'll look through their repository or source to see if they've made any fixes that I can take.

As for Mupen+, i'll be looking for that and i'll see what i can implement right now.

Great that you're all working on it :drool:

I hope that we don't need to create a team for mupen in some years and call it Mupen-M, to merge all the forks, like we had to do with VBA...

It seems we already have a great team working on it :mupen64:

Now, the bug report :plain: Sound is "slow" and skips with Jttl's SDL plugin 1.3. With mupen64 audio plugin I get no sound :(

My system is a Sempron 3300+, 64 bits Kubuntu 7.10. Graphic card is onBoard GeForce 6100 and also onBoard sound (ASRock k8nf4g-sata2 board)

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Now, the bug report :plain: Sound is "slow" and skips with Jttl's SDL plugin 1.3. With mupen64 audio plugin I get no sound :(

My system is a Sempron 3300+, 64 bits Kubuntu 7.10. Graphic card is onBoard GeForce 6100 and also onBoard sound (ASRock k8nf4g-sata2 board)

Are you using the 64-bit build? If so, try running the 32-bit build with dynamic recompilation. If this fixes the problem, then it happens because your machine is not fast enough to run at full speed with the Interpreter.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Also to note, Mupen64 Audio plugin is an ALSA plugin, so if its not working, try running alsaconf on a root terminal before running the game. (This will do some 'maintenance' even if alsa is configured already.)

i23098

Are you using the 64-bit build? If so, try running the 32-bit build with dynamic recompilation.

I'm running 64 bits version. When trying to use 32 bits one, I got:

Code:
(mupen64:7703): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(mupen64:7703): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtengine.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

So I guess Ubuntu 64 bits doesn't like 32 bits binaries/libraries. :(

If this fixes the problem, then it happens because your machine is not fast enough to run at full speed with the Interpreter.

Ok. I'll wait, and hope that after all the merges that are happening that dynamic recompilation works on 64 bits too.

Thanks for all the work

i23098

Also to note, Mupen64 Audio plugin is an ALSA plugin, so if its not working, try running alsaconf on a root terminal before running the game. (This will do some 'maintenance' even if alsa is configured already.)

Ubuntu doesn't have alsaconf... I tried with alsamixergui increasing all the volumes I can but it didn't work :(

PS - I guess it's KDE fault. I tried with XFCE and now mupen64 audio plugin works.

Last edited:
OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer

So I guess Ubuntu 64 bits doesn't like 32 bits binaries/libraries. :(

It will probably be some time before I can get around to porting the dynarec to 64-bits. You can get it to work on your Ubuntu system, you're just missing some libraries. You can get them from synaptic. Or, you could install them from the command line like this:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
The fact that it tries to load any 64-bit libraries at all may pose a problem toward 32-bit interopability. Perhaps you need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/lib32 if this error occurs even with the 32-bit libraries installed.

i23098

I couldn't set up it, so I renamed lib32 to lib, just to try. In 32 bits runs awfully slowly. 5 frames/sec or so. Don't know why... don't worry, keep up the great work and when dynamic recompilation runs on 64 bits or I change machine (xmas is comming ;)) everything is solved :)

mike_k

Updated from svn today to rev 96 and found a few improvements since rev 86. Thanks for your work!
I still have a few quick questions: (using gtk 2.12.0)
1. I can't remove single path in Options->configure->Rom Browser, while "Remove all" button works.

2. What about hotkeys, documented in readme.pdf? They seems to be wrong...

3. I have icons directory with icons, but country flags are missing in the UI

4. A saved rom.st0 from mupen64 0.5 loads, but I have no sound. Loading that game from rom.eep(simply starting it) or any nonsaved games have no such problem. Can you give an advice how to investigate this? Nothing suspicious in logs...

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
1. I can't remove single path in Options->configure->Rom Browser, while "Remove all" button works.

2. What about hotkeys, documented in readme.pdf? They seems to be wrong...

3. I have icons directory with icons, but country flags are missing in the UI

4. A saved rom.st0 from mupen64 0.5 loads, but I have no sound. Loading that game from rom.eep(simply starting it) or any nonsaved games have no such problem. Can you give an advice how to investigate this? Nothing suspicious in logs...
1. Oh shi-- Okay, my bad. I messed this up with the brand new GUI code. My PC crashed (A-FREAKING-GAIN >: ( ) and i hadn't been working on this much.

2. Hot keys.. er... I didn't know they were implemented -at all- in the GTK GUI, perhaps i'm mixing it up with some other program.

3. I understand. Its because the code for the country flags is very dirty and i hadn't the chance to uncomment and do a real fix on them.

4. Uh... wow? You could try to debug, placing a breakpoint on the audio plugin's init function or something like that, but remember to build a debug version. The GNU Debugger (gdb) will work fine for debugging, incase your wondering (though you probably already knew ;))

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Updated from svn today to rev 96 and found a few improvements since rev 86. Thanks for your work!

Yeah I'm knocking out all the bugs that have been mentioned on this forum; there's still a few more to go. I'll do another release in a week or two after it has stabilized.

Regarding the bugs that you brought up, we'll fix 1, 2, and 3. I haven't really looked at the snapshot save/load code, but I believe that the way it works is that it dumps the N64 memory state and all of the relevant data structures from the plugins, then re-loads them all to resume. It's a really tricky thing to make work properly, and the first time I tried it I was surprised that it worked at all. If at some point during development any saved data structure is modified, then the saved states will not be portable across this change.

I would begin diagnosing this by examining the snapshot save/load code to see exactly how it works and what it stores, then find out what structure was changed. It may be fixable, or it may not be. In general I'm not going to go out of my way to support portability for the snapshots, because implementing a system to guarantee that it will always work across changes is a nightmare.

mike_k

Ok, I guess debugging my 'sound in saved state' problem right now might be an overkill since you're instantly changing data structures =). I am ok with that. At least "in-cartridge" (.eep) state is usable now.

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Ok, I guess debugging my 'sound in saved state' problem right now might be an overkill since you're instantly changing data structures =). I am ok with that. At least "in-cartridge" (.eep) state is usable now.

I'm not going out of my way to re-arrange everything, but sometimes things do get moved in the course of fixing bugs and cleaning up. Without being familiar with the snapshot code, I don't know what to watch out for. The in-cartridge save should always work - if not then it's a bug.

TwistedWhizz

Gah! Can anyone tell me why I can't get Rice Video in this? It's in the plugins folder, clear as day, but not when I open Mupen 64. I can only use Gln64 and the Mupen video plugin.

What the chuffery....? :(

OP
R

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Gah! Can anyone tell me why I can't get Rice Video in this? It's in the plugins folder, clear as day, but not when I open Mupen 64. I can only use Gln64 and the Mupen video plugin.

What the chuffery....? :(

Did you build it yourself? If not, which binary package are you using? Did you get any error messages on the console? If there are problems loading a plugin when the directory is being scanned, they will be reported to stdout. You can try 'ldd plugins/ricevideo.so' and post the output; you might have unresolved dependencies.

TwistedWhizz

Did you build it yourself? If not, which binary package are you using? Did you get any error messages on the console? If there are problems loading a plugin when the directory is being scanned, they will be reported to stdout. You can try 'ldd plugins/ricevideo.so' and post the output; you might have unresolved dependencies.

I'm on Ubuntu 7.10 32bit, with Nvidia GeForce FX5600XT (not the best I know...), and the file I downloaded is Mupen64amd64-RiceVideoLinux-1-0-bin-32.zip from the first page of this thread. I try to use it like I would the older Mupen 0.05, by double clicking the launcher and opening a rom. Should I be doing something differently with this? Sorry for the noobish questions....