What's new

Save error - Virtual Boy Advance

peroikos

Stranger and foreigner
When I'm trying to save (not using the emulator function, in game), I'm getting the message: "Save error. Please exchange the backup memory." Forum searches directed me here, but I don't know what to do with the .ips file. Do I put it in the save folder as the .exe or what? Thank you.

smcd

get an ips patching program... lunar ips, gbata (i attached this one to the thread), and apply the .ips to the game

Clements

None of the Pokemon games require IPS patches when using VBA. Set the save type correctly (Flash+128K).

OP
peroikos

peroikos

Stranger and foreigner
The IPS patching didn't seem to do anything,

Clements, I set the save type to Flash128, but what am I supposed to have besides that? Is it automatic, SRAM, Flash, none seem to be working. Right now I have the save type as Flash, with Flash128. Also, is this related to the "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed" message at the beginning of the game?

OP
peroikos

peroikos

Stranger and foreigner
I'm still at a loss to what is wrong. I have tried with all different save types, and none seem to be working. This problem also occurs in NO$GBA and BoycottAdvance, as well as VBA. The problem must be beyond the save type. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Last edited:

smcd

pokemon fire red (j) right? save worked fine for me. There are a couple known good versions for this. below is hash/checksum information for both, and both save fine for me in no$gba 2.5b

Name: Pocket Monsters - Fire Red (Japan).gba
Size: 16777216
CRC32: 3b2056e9
MD5: 47596db5a16556c60027e7bf372ec917
SHA1: 04139887b6cd8f53269aca098295b006ddba6cfe

The other known good version is :

Name: Pocket Monsters - Fire Red (Japan) (Rev A).gba
Size: 16777216
CRC32: bb640df7
MD5: ff25067b591ba324cd44689a9ba8aa48
SHA1: 7c7107b87c3ccf6e3dbceb9cf80ceeffb25a1857

I would check your rom isn't faulty. The files above are named according to the no-intro style (checked against that dat file in cmp)

OP
peroikos

peroikos

Stranger and foreigner
I'm using #1636 from _______. Is it a corrupt rom? If it is, I guess I'll try one of the one's you listed.

Edit: nvm, no rom posted, problem solved (see below)

Last edited:
OP
peroikos

peroikos

Stranger and foreigner
Oh OK, I'm getting it to work now. I was using the vba-over.ini settings, but I didn't realize you had to delete the save states, which that thread was able to let me know. Thanks, problem solved.