Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: PC-Engine

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, that worked. Sounds nice. I noticed some cutting-off but I am not sure if its SDL or the PSG/filter.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This probably happens because my emulator requires a lot of processing power.
    Look the statistics in 'stdout.txt' for the lost buffers(empty audio buffers).
    I have a poor system(WinXP SP3 + AMD Sempron LE-1150 + AMD 690G) but IF I close
    the other programs, remove all the USB peripherals(especially the modem) and disable
    the power saving program of the CPU, I lose only one(physiological) or few buffers.
    The filter that uses the BLEP synthesis is not yet optimized and the coefficents of
    the FIR filter are temporary.
    The PSG emulation is preliminary but, excluding the LFO, is at the same (low) level
    of other emulators.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PicchioEngine v0.0.3 (2009/02/01)
    - The colors of the composite output are accurately reproduced(patent US 5389949).
    - Added fullscreen mode.
    - Now the emulator accept some optional arguments from the CLI.
    - Automatic selection of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 emulation based on the file name.
    - Added support for the rom image files with header.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some nice updates there. Keep up the good work . Btw, does any game shows any screen yet?

I just restarted work on my emu yesterday but its mostly frontend stuff. I am taking CDROM emulation too lightly I think .

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Btw, does any game shows any screen yet?
    For the next version I will add a decent VDC emulation and the games will be playable.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PicchioEngine v0.0.4 (2009/02/17)
    - Added a temporary and not accurate(only line-based) VDC emulation.
    Note: Only added to test other parts, in future a complete rewriting is necessary.
    - Added support for the rom image files of 384kB.
    - Preliminary and limited support for joysticks.
    - Now some games are playable.

Emulator Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladar View Post
    PicchioEngine v0.0.4 (2009/02/17)
    - Added a temporary and not accurate(only line-based) VDC emulation.
    Note: Only added to test other parts, in future a complete rewriting is necessary.
    - Added support for the rom image files of 384kB.
    - Preliminary and limited support for joysticks.
    - Now some games are playable.
    Just to make things clear, what are you missing in a line based renderer? Scroll values are latched per line, sprite values are effectively latched per frame. You can edit VRAM mid-line but I'm not sure if anything is preventing you from getting in the way of VRAM which is actively being used to draw the scanline - I'm sure you can modify it but the question is how far in advance you need to be. You can modify the palette mid-line too but there are artifacts with doing this.

Of course, no game actually relies on any of this, never really understood the preoccupation these days with accuracy that nothing relies on.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    PicchioEngine v0.0.5 (2009/03/02)
    - Added a option to show/hide the video overscan.
    - Added support for the cards Populous and Street Fighter II' CE.
    - Resolved the problem of the missing sprites in some games.

Of course, no game actually relies on any of this, never really understood the preoccupation these days with accuracy that nothing relies on.
    I think that an extremely accurate emulator is necessary to preserve the hardware and not only the playbility of the games.
    Moreover, the accurate emulator can be used as base for a fast and less accurate fine tuned version.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aladar, do you plan to add GUI at some point?

Emulator Developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladar View Post
    I think that an extremely accurate emulator is necessary to preserve the hardware and not only the playbility of the games.
    Which serves no pragmatic purpose whatsoever, so I'll never really understand why so many emulator authors these days are so preoccupied with it (although in reality most actually don't bother implementing things nothing uses)

I think actually it's more a way for people to make their emulators feel more meaningful when the platform has already been emulated a lot.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast