What's new

Any love for Mupen on Linux?

TwistedWhizz

Hiya, I just wanted to post up and say how much I love Mupen64. I currently use it on my Ubuntu 7.04 box, and I get a great performance out of it. I get some audio lag here and there, but for the most part it's pretty good, and is my preferred N64 emu.

I've been using PJ64 on Windows which is good too, but I think I speak for a big section of the Linux fanbase when I say I would love to see a new Mupen64 for Linux. Version 0.05 is a couple of years old, and Linux has moved on a bit since then I think, as it's user base has grown.

Are there any plans to introduce an updated Mupen64 for Linux any time soon? I'd love to see even more games made compatible with Mupen64, and the few issues that remain get ironed out.

I realise you guys are very busy with jobs/life etc, but I still had make the request! You don't ask, you don't get! It's a great emulator, and I'd love to see it live on.

Thanks again for your hard work on Mupen64. :)

GarulfoLinux

Hacktarux didn't say that Mupen64 is died :) . Thus, perharps we will see a new mupen64 version.

I love Mupen64 too, but Hacktarux is the only main coder in Mupen64 and so, if Hacktarux have a lot works, the development is slow.

But i sincerely believe he will release the 0.6 ;) .

we must wait.

OP
T

TwistedWhizz

Many thanks for your reply. I live in hope that we see a new version of Mupen on Linux. I believe Hacktarux has stated that there will be a version in the future, but of course I understand that committing time to such projects can be very difficult. I, and many other Linux users and retro games fans, fully appreciate and respect the time that those involved have poured into the project.

My best wishes for the future. I will certainly keep one eye on Mupen64 for Linux!

Tillmann

Whatever
Mupen it's amazing...
Not just to be linux compatible...
Mupen has some great features n' it's an one man's work...

Hacktarux it's THA man :D

He put some massive efforts in his work, not just coding mupen but porting plugins like glide64 n others...

I'm his fan...

Be patience we will see a new version soon or later :D

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Actually, you guys are wrong. Mupen64 is now maintained by three people: okaygo (me), mudl0rd (graphics plugin), and hacktarux.

And no the project isn't dead.

GarulfoLinux

Actually, you guys are wrong. Mupen64 is now maintained by three people: okaygo (me), mudl0rd (graphics plugin), and hacktarux.

And no the project isn't dead.
hum okaygo, if i don't make error, you don't work on the core of Mupen64 and Hacktarux is the only main coder who works on mupen64's core. Your job is good but for me, i prefer to see the core to evolve.

In any case, i hope to see a linux version of kaillera soon.

Tillmann

Whatever
hum okaygo, if i don't make error, you don't work on the core of Mupen64 and Hacktarux is the only main coder who works on mupen64's core. Your job is good but for me, i prefer to see the core to evolve.

In any case, i hope to see a linux version of kaillera soon.

You sound damn right Garulfo, but we do not know what the hek r happening down there in the underworld of code...

Anyway...

Mupen, officially, maintains it self as one man's project :D

One more thing...
Mupen graphics plugin isn't maintained by mudlord, ricevideo does.. :D

Lastly... It would be nice to see people like you join forces n bring some new features to our beloved n64 emu FOR LINUX, and others :D

okaygo

Mupen64Plus Dev.
You don't know what goes on behind the scenes. :)

And yes, I am doing core work... along side with hacktarux.

Currently we are working on something huge. :mupen64:

GarulfoLinux

Lastly... It would be nice to see people like you join forces n bring some new features to our beloved n64 emu FOR LINUX, and others
When i programmed my n64 emulator for Linux, i decided to stop it to continue the mupen64's development but i didn't have any more free time to develop Mupen64. And today, it's the same thing, i cannot help Hacktarux for Mupen64 despite that i would have to do this.

OP
T

TwistedWhizz

You don't know what goes on behind the scenes. :)

And yes, I am doing core work... along side with hacktarux.

Currently we are working on something huge. :mupen64:

I'm thrilled to hear this! Good luck with it, and don't forget the Linux faithful. ;)

Thanks for your continued devotion to Mupen64. :)

Tillmann

Whatever
Now I am Freaking excited :D

That's a great news :D

Any way my lack of ability to write in english makes me sounds a little weird sometimes (maybe rude, dunno), but I'm pretty happy to know this :D
Thanks