Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyMan
    WARNING! n00b QUESTION: aprentice, does legend of Zelda - Link's awakening work?
    get back to me when i finish mbc1 emulation, cause it currently crashes the emu

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mine now plays the intro of Link's Awakening(MBC1 is actually a cinch to implement). Unfortunately, it crashes just before the screen scrolls up to the egg. Oh, heh, I also don't quite have sprites working yet, so there's no boat, or Link, Or Marin . I also got the title to Metroid 2 working, and probably some others, but I have no input yet, so I can't go further .

Here's some screenies:
    Last edited by bcrew1375; July 27th, 2004 at 20:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, what documents are you guys using for this. I think I'm going to start one pretty soon here, just for a fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrew1375
    Mine now plays the intro of Link's Awakening(MBC1 is actually a cinch to implement). Unfortunately, it crashes just before the screen scrolls up to the egg. Oh, heh, I also don't quite have sprites working yet, so there's no boat, or Link, Or Marin . I also got the title to Metroid 2 working, and probably some others, but I have no input yet, so I can't go further .

Here's some screenies:
    I dont have sprites or input either, i guess everyone considers these lower priorities

I couldn't find any info on the gb palette, is there any known accurate values for this, or is it kinda like a guess thing?

edit: is everyone using a public cpu core, or am I the only one crazy enough to code my own?
    Last edited by aprentice; July 27th, 2004 at 20:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coding your own is half the fun of it! (actually some of the available cores are not well documented and downright scary looking )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well im starting a GB emu as well, its like were all in a classroom together progressing at the same rate

if anyone could provide a GOOD document on the gameboy itd be handy.

Im puzzled tho on how these MBC1 and that works, im guessing the 32k rom games just load straight into memory, but is MBC1 and MBC2 etc direct access to the cart or what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by refraction
    well im starting a GB emu as well, its like were all in a classroom together progressing at the same rate

if anyone could provide a GOOD document on the gameboy itd be handy.

Im puzzled tho on how these MBC1 and that works, im guessing the 32k rom games just load straight into memory, but is MBC1 and MBC2 etc direct access to the cart or what?
    mbc is like a memory controller, it controls which banks are "paged" or "switched" in and out since the cpu can only address a limited amount of space. The memory paged can be accessed at 4000-7FFF. I think that should clear everything up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprentice
    mbc is like a memory controller, it controls which banks are "paged" or "switched" in and out since the cpu can only address a limited amount of space. The memory paged can be accessed at 4000-7FFF. I think that should clear everything up

so basically chunks of memory are copied from the cart into the memory between 4000-7FFF?

and how does the switching work? sorry to sound like an ass, but ive not actually started on the fundamentals of the emu yet, just getting the GUI sorted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by refraction
    so basically chunks of memory are copied from the cart into the memory between 4000-7FFF?

and how does the switching work? sorry to sound like an ass, but ive not actually started on the fundamentals of the emu yet, just getting the GUI sorted.
    Every rompage is 0x4000 bytes, so when you load the rom you would need to settup a pointer to every page after the complete rom has been loaded into memory. You can get the rom page information from the header.

example:
    mem.rompage[3]=(mem.prgrom+(3*0x4000));

this would make page 3 point to 0xC000 of the program rom in memory.

since some roms can have up to 0x7F pages, its a good idea to use a for loop.

I wouldnt worry about mbc1 right away though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprentice
    I wouldnt worry about mbc1 right away though.
    yes but it would be nice to know how it works

thanks for the other info tho.

Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast