What's new

Game Boy

zenogais

aprentice said:
I've been working on it on and off the last 2 months, in the past 2 weeks I've made the most progress. How about you?

Looks like the CPU core is gonna take me a bit, so i'll be a while in catching up with you guys :p

But I'm guessing the sound will be the hardest part.

Last edited:

bcrew1375

Yes, I agree. I also think the sound will be the most difficult part. About when I started, I've understood basic emulation concepts for a few years. There were just some things I couldn't quite grasp until after doing my Chip-8 interpreter. After that, it was just like "Eureka!" :p. So, probably about as long as you, aprentice.

zenogais

Ok, I got looking at some docs refraction sent me last night, and it turns out that the CPU isn't nearly as large as I thought 255 * 3 opcodes, thats special extended opcodes and all, alot of typing, but whateva.

aprentice

zenogais said:
Ok, I got looking at some docs refraction sent me last night, and it turns out that the CPU isn't nearly as large as I thought 255 * 3 opcodes, thats special extended opcodes and all, alot of typing, but whateva.

Its only about 500 opcodes give or take one :p

Last edited:

aprentice

glVertex3f said:
Wow thats not as bad as I thought. I might could actually do this :p

I wouldn't recommend this project to you, its a lot more complex than you think it is, and we cannot guide you step by step through this huge project. The gameboy is not as simple as most people think it is :p

bcrew1375

I completely agree. Not to mention the tiniest change can ruin everything, and then it takes you forever to find it -_-.

glVertex3f

Crap Cracker
Ok, as I try not to take offense to that... :p

Would you say Atari would be a more logical next step? I know I am new to emutaltion but never underestimate a n00b whose willing to learn :)

btw, in all the Chip docs they have opcodes in 2 formats the actual 0xFFFF format in the roms and then the assembly codes themselves (jmp, mov). All of the GB/Atari docs have just the assembly codes. Do these translate directly into binary or how do you decipher whats coming in from the rom.

Last edited:

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
glVertex3f said:
btw, in all the Chip docs they have opcodes in 2 formats the actual 0xFFFF format in the roms and then the assembly codes themselves (jmp, mov). All of the GB/Atari docs have just the assembly codes. Do these translate directly into binary or how do you decipher whats coming in from the rom.

there are documents out there with the hex codes for the related opcodes, you just have to find them... ive uploaded my docs here to give you a few to look through

zenogais

Ok, I've started doing the CPU stuff now, its working pretty good, I even got a few opcodes done. I've also decided to create nightly builds for this project, check it out here

aprentice

zenogais said:
Hehe, its not supposed to do anything yet, I just started remember? :p

Ive slacked the past 3 days, but I have finally got input working bug free. Lets just say it took a crap load of debugging and tracing to get a solid idea of how it works, and I must say its pretty damn simple once you understand it :p

Now tetris is finally fully playable :p

edit: heres the proof incase noone believes me

tetris_game01.gif

Last edited:

bcrew1375

Maybe he will release it, but take over the GB emulation scene? Hehe, not likely :p. Though, I must admit at this point he is alot farther than me.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
doin a good job guys :) i wish i was as far as some of you! but my emulator ive not even started doing cpu ops yet! but i did give zenogais a bit of a hand the other night, most of it was pretty easy to understand but some are quite baffling!

isnt it fun doing opcodes from 0x40ish to about 0x60? :p