What's new

Game Boy

Stezo2k

S-2K
refraction said:
nice to see you too man :)

haha ive not finished it yet! its in the process of being converted to windows, and is being designed with a custom Graphics Engine created by Zenogais (Creator of NeoPSX and dev for ps2sp sound plugin) but ive not touched it for a while, hoping to release it to the public once its done :)

i know its nowt special but its got full chip8 and schip8 support, sound still to come (but shouldnt be hard) and gonna reprogram a couple of bits so it doesnt eat your cpu.

sounds good mate, would like to see a few screenshots as it progesses :)

keep up the good work mate with your emu :naughty:

Stezo2k

S-2K
refraction said:
here we go, my screenshots just uploaded one to show the engine off a bit :)

plus put a couple of SChip8 games on there too.

http://djxander.artists.mpfspromotions.com/chip8/chipscreens.htm

looks pretty good so far mate, i like the windows interface, would like to see more pics as it progresses, the ASCII DOS graphics output make the games look even more dated lol, would like to try the windows version though. The custom graphics engine sounds well great, hope development goes well

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Now now, you made the same mistake as I did when I first started with chip8 gfx. Remember to center it, or pong will look ... well, like it did on your screenshot! It looks much better centered, believe me ;)

Btw... does all these games work flawless or some typical bug?

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
Yeah how far have you got with your gameboy emulator. Or have you not started it yet. If you have, have you got anything to show for it or not.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Doomulation said:
Now now, you made the same mistake as I did when I first started with chip8 gfx. Remember to center it, or pong will look ... well, like it did on your screenshot! It looks much better centered, believe me ;)

Btw... does all these games work flawless or some typical bug?

its only liek that because the pc basically types the graphics out character by character, thats the only reason its off centred.

and as far as ive tested ALL games work perfectly, apart from Field on Schip8 which seems to have some problem once you get in game.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Awww shoot, you fixed lots of issues I couldn't be arsed to fix :yucky:
Btw, if you use a decent API (ie DirectDraw), you can center the gfx.
Guess I should discuss it elsewhere from now on :p

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Doomulation said:
Awww shoot, you fixed lots of issues I couldn't be arsed to fix :yucky:
Btw, if you use a decent API (ie DirectDraw), you can center the gfx.
Guess I should discuss it elsewhere from now on :p

got an openGL engine mate, its kinda bein worked on with Zenogais, if you dont know him, hes one of the developers of the first Pcsx2 sound plugin that made sound and he is the dev behind Neo-PSX, so he knows his stuff :D

Sneeky Preview of it...

HERE!

OP
-//zAe\\-

-//zAe\\-

sammyboy said:
Yeah how far have you got with your gameboy emulator. Or have you not started it yet. If you have, have you got anything to show for it or not.
Yes, along with Teamz and GbaGuy :)

Last edited:

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
Cool... would you be posting the news on this thread or the emu dev thread that teamz started up.
Edit: I have recently been setting up another emulation site, and I would post the information about the emulator there. The site domain is currently http://www.freewebs.com/siteemu. Hope you will like it, hopefully get .tk forwading domain name soon. This site ill hopefully suck seed or I will hang my head in shame :paperbag: (sorry but that is the first time I have seen this smiley and I like it).

Last edited:

bcrew1375

Hey, sorry for reviving this old thread. I heard some other people were working on GB emus, and wanted to see how far they've gotten. So far, I've got almost all opcodes covered, most of the I/O registers taken care of, the V-Blank and Timer interrupts handled, and drawing of the background. There's obviously some things I still need to sort out. I've either gotten a blank screen or distorted graphics. Not a single game has run as expected yet :/. Oh well, maybe soon, I hope. Have any of you guys gotten results yet?

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
could you show some screen shots, what language is it programmed in and how long have you been working on it.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
sammyboy said:
could you show some screen shots, what language is it programmed in and how long have you been working on it.

what about your emulator? how far have you got? youve been working on it about 3-4 months now, you must have something..

bcrew1375

Here's some shots. The first is the BLEM! demo :p. The other two are from Big Scrolling Demo. BTW, these are showing the full 256x256 VRAM.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
bcrew1375 said:
Here's some shots. The first is the BLEM! demo :p. The other two are from Big Scrolling Demo. BTW, these are showing the full 256x256 VRAM.

PSX emu for GB hahah love it :p

lookin good there tho mate!

GbaGuy

The GB emulator being worked on by TeamZ, zAe, Doom, and myself is at a similar
place in development. http://sourceforge.net/projects/clonegb

What ROM is that 3rd shot?

I tried implementing the V-Blank interrupt, but it doesn't seem to work (or atleast, it
doesn't seem to change compatibility *at all* which would lend itself to the not working conclusion...)

I'd like to see screenshots of the Space demo (aka Grey moving globe..) and the
commercial game Solar Striker (if you have it, that is. That was the first cart I ever
bought for gb, 7 bucks many years ago at Funcoland.), could you? thanks.

It would seem that the exuberance isn't insubstantial yet...

bcrew1375

Sorry, I've been at work all day, and haven't had a chance to reply. Anyway, the third screenshot is from the Big Scroller Demo. I haven't gotten any results from either of those ROMs yet. I had a look at your guys' code. This may be a stupid question, but are you generating the interrupts? You seem to be pretty far, maybe farther than me, but it doesn't seem like you're generating any of them. Anyway, you'll need cycle counters(Or, at least that's what I used). You could have a counter for the LY register. Once so many cycles have passed you increment the LY register, when it's between 143(The lowest line on the screen) and 153, you generate a V-Blank interrupt(Just after it passes 143. After it passes 153, you turn off the V-Blank flag and reset LY to 0). I believe the cycles between each line is close to 114 in machine cycles. That's clock cycles divided by 4, in case you didn't know. Let me know if that helps, or if you need more info. I'll be happy to help if I can :).

Last edited:

aprentice

Heres some screens from my gameboy emu.
First game to run was actually super mario land,
as strange as that sounds :p I couldn't get any
ingame screen shots since input is not implamented,
and i havent finished mbc1 yet, so most mbc1 games
crash :p

edit: I know the colors are off, i put any bs value as the palette for the time being :p

<post truncated>

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
WARNING! n00b QUESTION: aprentice, does legend of Zelda - Link's awakening work? :unsure:

Last edited: