What's new

Game Boy

zenogais

aprentice said:
What exactly is the "observer" pattern you speak of? I'm into doing things that haven't been done before. In my CPU i deployed a feature that hasn't been implemented in any gameboy emu, which so far produced amazing results. I'll explain in detail once i finalize my work :p

Booble...err I mean Google is your friend on that one. Once I get an example up and running though then I'll show you what I'm talking about. It seems like a good concept right now, and I've got a couple other similar alternatives if it doesn't pan out in the long run. Not to mention I'm working on a few things for NeoPSX, which I might incorporate into NeoGameboy, that I've never seen emulators with or just never heard of an emulator using.

aprentice

GbaGuy said:
But the code is supposed to & 0x80 with the value, not the address, so
you need the dereference, right? Or have I totally confused myself?

reg is already a pointer, pointing at the original memory in data, so you don't need to dereference :p

GbaGuy

"Do you listen to yourself talk?" - Brian
"I drift in and out..." - Peter

I guess I'll be quite now, carry on. :)

glVertex3f

Crap Cracker
Oh, I love family guy.

With that being said...
I think its safe to say I'm just not ready to continue on this project.

It is definately something I'll look forward to coming back to, but I'm afraid I would only hurt myself and my relationship with C++ if I continue this now.

I think I will either go back and do another Chip8 emu or program a few other programs.

Maybe I'll make a Chip8 emu that uses gfx plug-ins... lol

I might drop in and out of the board if I get the urge to drap a funny, or ask a stupid question. :whistling

Thanks for all of your help..
If I do another Chip8 emu Im sure I'll post it here :bye3:

bcrew1375

I didn't think you were ready for it yet. Don't worry, I went through the same phase. I got almost all of the CPU programmed for my Gameboy emulator and just couldn't grasp certain concepts. I came back to it after programming my Chip-8 interpreter, and for some odd reason everything started to make sense then :p.

bcrew1375

I didn't think you were ready for it yet. Don't worry, I went through the same phase. I got almost all of the CPU programmed for my Gameboy emulator and just couldn't grasp certain concepts. I came back to it after programming my Chip-8 interpreter, and for some odd reason everything started to make sense then :p.

bcrew1375

bcrew1375

aprentice

Only worked on the emu a few hours in the past week or so, times run short now that university has begun, but I will try to find time here and there :p

Heres some screens :p

zeldadx.gif

tetrisdx.gif

glVertex3f

Crap Cracker
aprentice said:
Only worked on the emu a few hours in the past week or so, times run short now that university has begun, but I will try to find time here and there :p

Heres some screens :p

I despise you...
:p

Nice work, I only hope to one day have your skill :party:

EDIT:

Yeah I finally got color going on my emu too...

forestbrix.jpg

hehe :p

Last edited:

zenogais

I am from time to time, but right now I'm working on an emulation framework so I can simplify the process of getting them up-and-running. I've only just started, but basically I hope to have the following:

• Logging and Error Handling Facilities.
  • Premade GUI classes for Windows.
  • GUI facilities for toolbars, status bars, and tooltips.
  • Lots of helper functions and macros.
  • Video, Sound, Controller, and Memory emulation facilities.
  • Possibly dynamic recompilation facilities.

It'll be distributed in DLL form, so it should be quite efficient. I'll post more soon, and if anyone would like to help just ask. Also I might consider making it more cross-platform compatible once I have the windows version working.

EDIT: Oh btw, Here's a little teaser screenshot of what I've got thus far. This is a basic windows application created through the framework as you can see it only takes one line of code:

Last edited:

bcrew1375

I haven't quite given up on mine yet. I just have some tedious bugs to work out that I haven't quite worked up the stamina to smash. For instance, I have a bug with the new build of my emu that wasn't in my old build. So now I have to go through the entire source comparing the old and new one to see what's the same and what's different -_-.

retroK

zenogais said:
I am from time to time, but right now I'm working on an emulation framework so I can simplify the process of getting them up-and-running.

It'll be distributed in DLL form, so it should be quite efficient. I'll post more soon, and if anyone would like to help just ask. Also I might consider making it more cross-platform compatible once I have the windows version working.

Hi zenogais,

the author of the NES emulator Nessie wants to do a similar thing. Maybe you could join forces on this!

Here is the thread on Nessie Forum: http://nessie.emubase.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34

zenogais

retroK:
This is really just a project for myself, in order to speed up development and design change, as I find that most of the time when I write an emulator I spend about 80% of the time working on a lot of the same components. Also the Nessie author is merely creating his in order to load NES games, this is just going to be a general framework so that I can get the basic, time-consuming components out of the way leaving a lot more time for actually creating the emulator.
Basically that is why I've stopped work on my game boy emulator/PSX emulator is so that I can get this project done and finally have an easy way to set up my emulators.

glVertex3f:
I'm running Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

bcrew1375

aprentice, I need to ask you a question. Are you having compatibility issues with any of these games:

Donkey Kong
A Boy and His Blob
DragonBall Z - Goku Hishouden
DragonBall Z - Goku Gekitouden(Not sure if that's the correct name :p).
Any Final Fantasy Legend
Home Alone
T2 - The Arcade Game
Super Mario Land 1 or 2
Toy Story

If you have compatibility issues with any of those, could you please tell me what kind of problems they are.

BTW, I found the problem in my new code, it now has the same compatibility as my old code with some improvements :bouncy:. It was the Subtract with carry instruction. I was subtracting the C Flag from the register and then subtracting that value from register A. I should have been adding the C flag and the register together and subtracting THAT value -_-.

Last edited:

aprentice

bcrew1375 said:
aprentice, I need to ask you a question. Are you having compatibility issues with any of these games:

Donkey Kong
A Boy and His Blob
DragonBall Z - Goku Hishouden
DragonBall Z - Goku Gekitouden(Not sure if that's the correct name :p).
Any Final Fantasy Legend
Home Alone
T2 - The Arcade Game
Super Mario Land 1 or 2
Toy Story

If you have compatibility issues with any of those, could you please tell me what kind of problems they are.

BTW, I found the problem in my new code, it now has the same compatibility as my old code with some improvements :bouncy:. It was the Subtract with carry instruction. I was subtracting the C Flag from the register and then subtracting that value from register A. I should have been adding the C flag and the register together and subtracting THAT value -_-.

I havent been able to test dbz and toy story, but the rest of the games you mentioned work in my emu with the exception of super mario land 2, which crashes on the tunnel selection screen. My emu does seem to have some problems with a few select gb games, which I'm having trouble figuring out though, like for example, wave race. Are you able to get that game showing anything?

I'm still in the process of a complete recode, some new bugs creeping out though :\

bcrew1375

Hmm, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is yet. It seems most games have a problem recognizing button presses (T2, Super Mario Land 2, DBZ games, Final Fantasy Legends, A Boy and his Blob, Mortal Kombat). Donkey Kong freezes after the first level, Toy Story doesn't show any sprites, A few games work fine, but run through some jumbled, distorted graphics before reaching the title. Super Mario Land 2 seems to go into an endless loop after Start is pressed. I'll update this post after I try Wave Race.

This screen is all I can get from Wave Race with my emulator in its current state.

Last edited: