What's new

"Sony cuts price on PlayStation 3 by $100"

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Do they have saw spawn in their heads?

Sony is also introducing a new version of the PS3 featuring an 80-gigabyte hard drive and a copy of "Motorstorm," an off-road racing game that has already sold a million copies.

The new model will sell for $600 and is aimed at gamers who expect to download a lot of games and other content from Sony's burgeoning online network.
+ 20 GB and a copy of Motorstorm? Is that worth +$100? I think not.
The price cut was a good move Sony, but who the heck wants to buy an 80 GB HD for $100 more? Seriously. Sheesh.

JKKDARK

Do they have saw spawn in their heads?

+ 20 GB and a copy of Motorstorm? Is that worth +$100? I think not.
The price cut was a good move Sony, but who the heck wants to buy an 80 GB HD for $100 more? Seriously. Sheesh.

haha this is exactly what Sega did with the Saturn. Since they didn't change the price, they added Virtua Fighter 2/Daytona USA/Virtua Cop to the pack.

JKKDARK

Oh and I found it on another website. It seems Sony loved the PAL PS3.

http://www.gamingbits.com/content/view/2294/2/

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) just announced its new Playstation 3 price point and 80GB model. Along with the announcement came the system specs for the 80 GB ($499) and 60 GB PS3 ($499). The specs were the same, except for the HDD size of course.

In addition to the specs came a footer on the PS2 backwards compatibility on the PS3: "*Backwards Compatibility-- Some PlayStation 2 or PlayStation format software titles may perform differently on this system than they do on PlayStation 2 or PlayStation systems, or may not perform properly on this system."

We weren't sure if the footer meant that the PS3's Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer hardware was removed from both 60 GB and 80 GB PS3 models, so we contacted SCEA for clarification.

"The current 60 GB model utilizes a hardware and solution for backwards compatibility, namely the Emotion Engine chip. The new 80 GB PS3 will use a software solution for backwards compatibility, similar to that currently found in the PAL model," said Kimberly Otzman, SCEA Corporate Communications Representative.

So the 80 GB PS3 release will be the first NTSC PS3 to use a software engine for PS2 backwards compatibility. Will this mean PS3 80 GB owners will have to download updates to play their PS2 games on the PS3, as Microsoft has done with its Xbox 360 Backwards compatibility list? Most likely, but the PAL PS3 has has a head start in using the PS2 software engine since the initial PS3 release. A listing of PSone and PS2 backwards compatible games on PAL PS3s can be seen here.

An official US Playstation 2 Backwards Compatibility list has not been specified, but we'll post an update once it is announced.

Toasty

Sony battery
Well, personally speaking, I won't spend over $200 on a console, so Sony still has a long way to go before I'm even remotely interested in a PS3. (They'll have to crank out an exclusive game that I really want too.)

OP
Cyberman

Cyberman

It's proported to be announced at E3. Notice the prior article on the Xbox repairs "profitability" this fiscal year. That would indicate they are fairly confident in stomping on the PS3. Really if Sony was truely wise they would add emulation for Xbox games. I believe they screwed up big time on the emotion IC set. I've tested my PS2's PS1 compatibility and it doesn't work with most of the FF series I've noticed. Truely compatibility is just a sales gimick and not a commitment.

At least my PS2 works still (no thanks to my nephew kids these days) :D

Cyb

Allnatural

More a price shift than a price drop. Color me unimpressed.

Now, if the 20 GB model still existed and was priced at $400, then I'd be interested.

Doomulation

Ah yes, pay $100 more, get 20 GB more and less backwards compability. Yes, truly a good thing to do. Sarcasm intended.
Way to go, Sony... Maybe having the emotion engine IN the expensive version makes it more worthwhile the extra price tag.

Allnatural

Ah yes, pay $100 more, get 20 GB more and less backwards compability. Yes, truly a good thing to do. Sarcasm intended.
Way to go, Sony... Maybe having the emotion engine IN the expensive version makes it more worthwhile the extra price tag.
For once you and I agree.

Clements

So, the current 60GB model with the EE chip costs $499, and this new 80GB model without the EE chip that is bundled with Motorstorm is $599?

Might as well buy the 60GB model with the EE chip and then upgrade the hard drive to 160GB for $95. Best of both worlds if you are that way inclined.

Doomulation

Except that the current 60 GB model will be phased out in USA. It will be sold as long as stocks last, probably a month or so. Tough luck.

GWXCORE

sony is making mistakes. what i find funny is in my opinion the last generations failing console(GC) is the winning console for this generation(Wii) oh well unless i really get an itch for MGS:4 or the new FF game i am boycotting sony and saving for a Wii