What's new

Zelda Problems

Navigator12

Hiya, I'm having some problems emulating both Zelda games, and I was hoping someone could help me.

For OoT, the only problem is the floor and wall texturing, it's all black. I've been playing through the game fine with it, I don't mind a little black, except now in the Water Temple, EVERYTHING is black, the walls, floors, even the surface of the water, so I can't get through it.

For MM, things are better, there is only a little bad texturing, but now, whenever I preform the Zora-ang attack, the game freezes, and a pop-up says something about non-mapped spaces.

Also, for both games, pretty much all fire effects come out into blocks.

So, could anyone help me with these problems? Thanks in advance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Your video card doesn't meet the minimum requirements needed by the default graphics plugin (Jabo's Direct3D8), so switch to Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin.

But yeah, it would be nice to know what video card you actually have before making any more assumptions.

RetroFan

OoT problem here, too. Fairly at the beginning of the game, there's an exit in the Lost Woods which, if I enter it, makes the screen fade to black and stay that way. Nothing responds anymore so I guess the game just locks up. Suggestions?

OP
N

Navigator12

Yeah....about my video card its a

NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX 100/200

and it's probably older than the N64 itself

my plugin is Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5

another glitch I encountered is the screenshrinking problem with MM when it turns to a new day, it just freezes up.

And, with the verifying stuff, I tried to use GoodN64, but I'm not that skilled in MSDOS, so I didn't know what to do... I'm taking a programming course next year, but till then, I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
OoT problem here, too. Fairly at the beginning of the game, there's an exit in the Lost Woods which, if I enter it, makes the screen fade to black and stay that way. Nothing responds anymore so I guess the game just locks up. Suggestions?
IIRC, it's a known problem that the game freezes if you enter the Lost Woods very early in the game (before you're supposed to). The game can also randomly freeze in the Lost Woods when you're really supposed to go there.

Make sure that you have the latest RDB update from the Project64 site.

Yeah....about my video card its a

NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX 100/200

and it's probably older than the N64 itself

my plugin is Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5

another glitch I encountered is the screenshrinking problem with MM when it turns to a new day, it just freezes up.

And, with the verifying stuff, I tried to use GoodN64, but I'm not that skilled in MSDOS, so I didn't know what to do... I'm taking a programming course next year, but till then, I'm stuck.

Thanks in advance.
Night/Day transition in Majora's Mask is also a known issue. AFAIK for some the game doesn't necessarily freeze, and for some it does. The problems might be also related to Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin, as it is older and less capable than the default Direct3D8 plugin.

Since your video card is so old, the only graphics plugins you can use are Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin and older N64 graphics plugins.

GoodN64 is not an MS-DOS program, it's a Windows command line program. Using it requires no programming knowledge and programming really hasn't got anything to do with it. There are GUIs for it and other rom management tools should suffice (like RomCenter, for example). Still, I don't think that your rom is bad.